Replacing suspension on a Mk1b.

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

widster

Replacing suspension on a Mk1b.

Post by widster »

Hi,

This is my first post on IMOC and i'm sure there will be others as it looks a great place to get/give advice.

I have read other posts and spoke to some club members on uprating suspension on my E reg MR2 Mk1b before but i still have some questions. Can anyone help me with the following which i have been saving up. :?

Can anyone tell me how hard/easy it would be to fully replace all the suspension incl. springs/dampers/bushes and other parts using basic tools, on my own? (I can ask a mate to help at times). What special tools may i need to buy/hire? I don't want to get the car in bits on the drive then not be able to get it back together! If this were the case i would rather find a local place and let them do it for me for the money it would cost. Some of them bolts look like they will never move again...

Is there anyone out there who uses their car with a lowered spring kit in the city on a daily basis and copes with all the speed bumps and high kerbs? I like to do a bit of touring and only do the odd track day but i do like a car to be responsive (i want everything!). I have heard that fitting lowered springs may not lower the car the full 35mm as the original springs may have sagged and if i fit original ones then it may look like it is on stilts? Only other thought was maybe progressive springs but i can't find anyone selling these?

Finally, if i am going to rebuild the suspension then what should i replace at the front to remove the play in the steering? Would it be a good idea to replace the front lower ball joints and track rod ends, and maybe the rear lower ball joints while i'm at it?

I am tempted by the koni adjustable kit (incl. springs and dampers) and a superflex bush kit from fensport. Of course, once all this work is done i will get it laser aligned and put new tyres on. Just need to save up now....

Thanks for any help you can give. :)
MegatronUK

Re: Replacing suspension on a Mk1b.

Post by MegatronUK »

One bit of advice... don't buy the bushes from Fensport. Get them from www.twosrus.co.uk / www.twosrus.com. You'll save a heap of money for the same product. I bought the full kit from the US based tworus.com at the beginning of the year for 70 quid plus p&p... but I understand that twosrus.co.uk now have them in stock also if you want to avoid high p&p and possible import duty.
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

Not to bad a job really, obviously it depends on your mechanical skill level.

You will need spring compressors to get the old springs off, though in my experience, not to get the new lowered springs back on.

Polybushes will give you trouble if you don't have a good vice handy, I used a fly press on mine to get the old bushes out. They didn't go much on that :)

Ball joints would be a good idea while your about it, as might the droplinks if there not that new. Get your balljoints from an autofactor, as they are much cheaper than Toyota's prices. Droplinks are VERY expensive from toyota so you might want to try an alternative.

As for getting around without damaging the car, I have to say, to my surprise, so far so good. Speed bumps aren't a problem, and the country roads that are around my neck of the woods are far from great. Mine is lowered by 30mm by the way.

If you do go ahead don't forget to get the wheel alignment done afterwards, as everything will be way out once you have finished.

By the way best price for konis is Larkspeed. 365 quid with lowering springs and new bumpstops. A bit of a bargin compared to Fensports prices.
anna

Post by anna »

Fensport sell progressive springs (or at least they did last time I checked)
widster

Post by widster »

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I have been on the www.twosrus website and their High & Tight Motorsport suspension bushes are £114 or £275 fitted. It says that you still have an acceptable level of ride with these. I don't know if they differ much from the superflex ones but they seem good value. Tempting to pay to have them fitted as it might save me several weekends of swearing.

Do droplinks have another name, maybe 'rear tie bar arms'? I have seen these advertised for about £55 each at Autojapspares and would replace if needed but i don't think i get any clonks from the suspension at the moment.

When i said that i couldn't find progressive springs i meant standard height ones. I thought that these may give some of the benefits of the lowered items but without scraping the car on the ground as it would still sit at the standard height.

Is there anyone out there who has replaced their worn springs with standard height ones as it seems that most people do go for the lowered, stiffened items?

Anyway, thanks again for all your suggestions. Very helpful. :D
System-G

Post by System-G »

Not sure about the actual work replacing the shocks/springs/bushes yet... Although I am about to undertake similar.

I recently got my droplinks through twosrus.co.uk for what seem to be really decent items. You can also find new droplink on ebay through a regular seller.

I have a set of front KYB's on their way to me and am trying to source a cheaper route to KYB rears for the MK1a (other than Fensport). But it looks like they are my only option right now.

I already have PI progressive springs on the car so I am hoping that no spring compressors will not be needed to remove/replace them.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

The only 'uprated' springs that have a ride height close to stock that I know of are Whiteline or Fensport custom made. I've got a set of Whitelines on my Mk1 and they're pretty good, they can be a bit 'clacky' over bumps but otherwise are nice.

The first time I did my shocks and springs it took me about 4-5hours for the first strut and the others took about 2h each. :lol: If I was you I'd upgrade my drop links at the same time as my struts as they will be REALLY hard to get off without simply cutting the bu99ers off, 'tis the benefit of H&T droplinks they're easy to get off again!

If you're going to be doing the whole suspension set up (struts, bushes, ball joints, drop links etc) I'd look at having the car off the road for at least 4 days (as a beginner). If you get the suspension arms off you can take them to a local workshop/garage to have the appropriate bushes (4 IIRC) pressed in, the rest are easy.

Garrick I've got a set of spring compressors if you need them. :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

anna wrote:Fensport sell progressive springs (or at least they did last time I checked)

Don't bother with progressive springs, just go for linear 30mm lower 20% uprated from Fensport.

These springs work really well with the Koni's and give a good ride quality with the Koni's on soft of course.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

Dont forget the Knowledge base, I did my complete suspension changeover with just one document on there (thanks Lauren :thumright: )

I already had koni adjustables on the front, so I just fitted uprated jamex springs.

As far as tools is concerned, the only 2 "special" tools I can think of is spring compressors and a pair of Water Pipe Wrenches to remove the damper cover.

As far as driveability, I have very few speed bumpos around here, but the ones I come across I'm driving fairly normally over them (you are aware that you are sitting VERY low!). I have a problem that I live down a .25 mile track and the odd rock stands proud as a cow kicks it up, I have to jump out and chuck it! Still I'm able to drive about 10 mph up and down and in the corsa I'm only doing 15 mph so I'm not fussed.

Steering still feels fairly light (for a non PAS car) but oh the cornering :D Fan'buddy'tastic, such a small movement and the car is around it in a flash, very precise. I think its a worthwhile upgrade.

Havent put uprated dampers on yet, but I'm half tempted to stick some replacement oem ones on for comfort!

HTH
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

I'm looking at replacing the suspension on my SC too (also an E reg) so have been watching this thread with interest.

I was just wondering whether the same shocks/springs/bushes etc. recommended for the mk1b are also suitable/recommended for an SC? I've read on a few of the AW11 websites that Toyota changed the suspension set-up on the SC compared to the NA cars (seemingly not improving it in the process).

Thanks,
Andrew
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Lunarmatic wrote:I'm looking at replacing the suspension on my SC too (also an E reg) so have been watching this thread with interest.

I was just wondering whether the same shocks/springs/bushes etc. recommended for the mk1b are also suitable/recommended for an SC? I've read on a few of the AW11 websites that Toyota changed the suspension set-up on the SC compared to the NA cars (seemingly not improving it in the process).

Thanks,
Andrew

Go with the Koni/Fensport spring setup on the SC will be fine. SC is a bit heavier than the NA, but with uprated springs you will be fine.

Tis what i had on my last two SCs.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
widster

Post by widster »

Thanks everyone for taking the time to give me advice. What a helpful bunch! Will let you know how i get on at the time. Just need to save that money up now.

Cheers
Paul :D
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

Hi mate.
I have had bushes replaced by Peter at sBITS and he did a cracking job.
£275 for the high&tight kit that they sell. (this is twosrus by the way).
I recommend fitting unless you have a blowtorch, time, patience and the strong tools you need.
Peter will setup your camber too....he'll be able to do alignment and tracking soon...so you can do an all in thing all at his place.

I have noticed the car feels a little stiffer but it's better for it.
I'm buying some Koni shocks and I am buying the progressive wound springs.
I can live with the firm ride.
Im going to have the toe in and camber set to TRD settings. (cheers Lauren for the info on this).
So all in....I believe it's the best upgrade you can do to a mk1.
:wink:
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

stevenb wrote:Hi mate.
I recommend fitting unless you have a blowtorch, time, patience and the strong tools you need.
Peter will setup your camber too....he'll be able to do alignment and tracking soon...so you can do an all in thing all at his place.

Im going to have the toe in and camber set to TRD settings. (cheers Lauren for the info on this).

Oooh steve, let me know how you get on with those, and then let me know!! I like the sounds of TRD settings!
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

widster wrote:Thanks everyone for taking the time to give me advice. What a helpful bunch! Will let you know how i get on at the time. Just need to save that money up now.

Cheers
Paul :D

Be great to hear on how you got on
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

ldavies83 wrote:
stevenb wrote:Hi mate.

Oooh steve, let me know how you get on with those, and then let me know!! I like the sounds of TRD settings!

I wont be able to fit them for a while.....lol....Im skint......I have to buy the bushes when I get paid at the end of September now and then I will fit them.
I will fit them myself and then hobble to the garage and get all the settings done. :lol:
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

hehe, ooh that sounds familiar The cars cost me over £600 this month (insurance, road tax, other obligatorys, you know stereo, cd changer etc :lol:)and it was the first month on the road!!! Thankfully it will be a lot cheaper from now on (hopefully!)

This Month: Insurance, Tax, Timing Belt, Tensioner Pulley, Filter, Oil, CD Changer, Head Unit, Wheel Bearing Kit x 1, New Plugs
Next month: Water Pump, Coolant, Front Bumper Bar, Dizzie, Rotor Arm
Future, New Bushes for suspension andEngine
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

Doh....I meant to say I have to buy the springs when I get paid. I already have the bushes fitted.. :eye:

I have tax end of sept. and MOT in Nov........should be all hip 'n' dandy though. :D
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

Lauren wrote:
Lunarmatic wrote:I'm looking at replacing the suspension on my SC too (also an E reg) so have been watching this thread with interest.

Thanks,
Andrew

Go with the Koni/Fensport spring setup on the SC will be fine. SC is a bit heavier than the NA, but with uprated springs you will be fine.

Tis what i had on my last two SCs.

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of questions about the Konis - I noticed that someone has the Konis only on the front. Do you need adjustable Konis on all four corners? And what does the adjustment give you - would it be something that you'd be tweaking often? I noticed that the other dampers that Fensport sell are half the price of the adjustables so I wondered if I would get the most out of the Konis? I'm planning to use my SC every day rather than as a trackday car.

Cheers.
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

I guess truthfully you'd benefit with all four corners being either fixed or adjustable.
im upgrading to koni's and lowering springs all round soon.
my car is an everyday car but i will be running some aggresive geo settings but as Lauren has tested, they'll be fine for road use too.

the knoi adjustables give you adjustable rebound. on the lowest setting they'll be a little stiffer than OE shocks.....on max setting they'll be pretty rock hard.
a middle setting would be good if you like a firm ride like me...i like to feel the road through the cars steering......
another worthy upgrade is uprated poly bushes.
HTH

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”