Advise for a supra owner considering a down(up!)grade

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Scooter

Advise for a supra owner considering a down(up!)grade

Post by Scooter »

Hi first post so minimal flaming please!

I've had a few mkiv supra's in the last two years but am contemplating a switch to an mkii MR2 (turbo prefered) as i need to economise slightly!

I've only ever been in a uk NA model mr2 and that was as a passenger so have little experience of the cars, and just want a few opinions and general info of what i should expect, what you really like (and don't like) about your 2 etc particularly anyone who's driven a sup and MR2 or anyone who's gone from an NA to Turbo MR2 and can describe the performance differences.

Also as its going to be a weekend car and not doing too many miles i may consider a FSH higher mileage car. I know that supras are capable of very high miles, but not so sure on the more stressed (i assume) 4 cylinder engines in the MR2?

Any info appreciated and thanks for your time.....
Scooter

Re: Advise for a supra owner considering a down(up!)grade

Post by Scooter »

sorry i meant 'Advice' :roll:
tony2311

Post by tony2311 »

i got a N/A supra and a rev 3 turbo, The Mr2 is a lot smaller car so it feels a lot faster then it is,while the supra is alot bigger and it feels slower then it is really going, the supra is a N/A auto which feels a lot slower then a rev3 turbo manual, if i wanted fun i drive the MR2 but if i was doing normal driving i will drive supra, Both cars have a drink problem, both car cost about the same to insure, Just test drive one and you will have no problem deciding which car is right for you!
Dunc

Post by Dunc »

I've got a Rev2 turbo and have driven a few TT Supras. My MR2 has a bit of a lag problem and as such feels slower. However, it is much lighter and as such makes lighter work of changing directions than the big Supe. Best bet is to have a go in an MR2. I'm sure someone on here could oblige! If you're around the Essex area let me know and you can have a look in mine!

Cheers,
Dunc
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Cheers for the offer Dunc.

Anyone a bit closer (Guildford) with a Turbo that fancies a go in a TT supra in exchange?! or even just a good look around one.

Turbo with T-bar appeals, as does having a manual box (quite rare on supra's) for a change.......
chrisbilling

Post by chrisbilling »

Hi There,
I have a REV3 turbo and wanted to check out a supra TT, i work in Havant,

Would be good to meet up and compare cars!!!

Thanks,
Chris
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Chris, well up for meeting to compare contrast. Not the best weather for it really! but just a demo, look and discussion would be great.

If you are around this weekend or over the xmas break let me know and we could meet up possibly in the Liss roundabout area on the A3 or Petersfield Macdonalds etc?

thanks

Scott
chrisbilling

Post by chrisbilling »

Sounds good!!!!

What sort of MPG do you get with your Supra TT?

Im getting 25-30 MPG

Thanks

Chris
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

chrisbilling wrote:Sounds good!!!!

What sort of MPG do you get with your Supra TT?

MPG isn't that a swear word!

Honestly never calculated it, and if i did then i'd have probably sold it a while back! I'd say 18-23 average as a guess (its an auto though which doesn't help!)
michael

Post by michael »

Hello Mr Scooter :)

Welcome to IMOC, nice to see you made it safely.

I suspect you'll be very happy with an MR2 Turbo, shame you can't have both and have the best of both worlds but the zippy thrills of the little brother should help easy the pain from selling the big brown whale ;)
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

michael wrote:Hello Mr Scooter :)

Welcome to IMOC, nice to see you made it safely.

I suspect you'll be very happy with an MR2 Turbo, shame you can't have both and have the best of both worlds but the zippy thrills of the little brother should help easy the pain from selling the big brown whale ;)

thank you Michael......

would post a piccy of the 'Big brown whale' but this forums a little different to my usual one....... i'll work on it.[/img]
Gazboy

Post by Gazboy »

I've got a rev2, with 270bhp, as good as lagless (having said that, the only other turbo car I've driven is an Esprit, which is as laggy as George Best the morning after then night before), it goes like a bloody rocket to 130mph, it's done a genuine verified 150mph at Bruntingthorpe (lasers).
I actually like the handling of the MR2, and suprised a lot of passengers with preconceptions at a track day.
Things I hate:

Jap reliabilty- can I have some please?
Nothing is simple or easy when it goes wrong/needs replacing (and expensive).
I have friends with TVR's and Lotus's that are less stressed.
Being labled a Chav.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”