Throttle Cable -Where can I get one?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jimbo_Jet

Throttle Cable -Where can I get one?

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Hi,

I've recently purchased a 1988 MK1 MR2 :D And have also just sent off my membership to join the MK1 club! \:D/

However, I've just put my car in for a class C service and I've been told I need a new throttle cable urgently. Can anyone please advise me where I could get a throttle cable from at a good price?

Cheers! :)
spudgun

Re: Throttle Cable -Where can I get one?

Post by spudgun »

Best bet Jim, is to replace just the inner if you can. Not the way Toyota would recommend, but then again there hardly going to jump for joy when it's a do it yourself job, that takes around 15 minutes and cost about a fiver. You will need some new cable and couple of solderless nipples. I got the inner from a local car restoration place in the end, and cost a few quid. Should be able to get the nipples at the same place as the cable with a bit of luck. Just cut the end off of the old cable and thread the new one in. Couldn't be simplier.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

ooh, worth knowing. noticed the other week that mine is starting to fray where it comes out of the outer at the engine end.
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

kaiowas wrote:ooh, worth knowing. noticed the other week that mine is starting to fray where it comes out of the outer at the engine end.

Yeah, that's exactly what's happening to mine, but mine's wearing REALLY thin! :cry: Can you buy replacement cables from Toyota or would I have to sign over two of my limbs to pay for it?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Jimbo_Jet wrote:
kaiowas wrote:ooh, worth knowing. noticed the other week that mine is starting to fray where it comes out of the outer at the engine end.

Yeah, that's exactly what's happening to mine, but mine's wearing REALLY thin! :cry: Can you buy replacement cables from Toyota or would I have to sign over two of my limbs to pay for it?

Of course you can buy a replacement from toyota, but because it comprises a number of parts (ie you will have to buy the complete cable with sheaf and fittings) it will cost a bit. You could get a price of course.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
feral4mr2

Post by feral4mr2 »

spudgun wrote:Best bet Jim, is to replace just the inner if you can. Not the way Toyota would recommend, but then again there hardly going to jump for joy when it's a do it yourself job, that takes around 15 minutes and cost about a fiver. You will need some new cable and couple of solderless nipples. I got the inner from a local car restoration place in the end, and cost a few quid. Should be able to get the nipples at the same place as the cable with a bit of luck. Just cut the end off of the old cable and thread the new one in. Couldn't be simplier.

i replaced my inner only too, just went down the the local motorbike shop and bought 4 meters of inner brake cable. fed it through from the eng end and put some ends on it. very simple and very cheap. :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”