Rev 2 Tubby v Golf MK5 R32 DSG

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

vtecpower

Rev 2 Tubby v Golf MK5 R32 DSG

Post by vtecpower »

Hey people! We all know racing is bad and we shouldn't do it as it could lead to a serious accident so Ill hold my hands up and say I was in the wrong ..

But anyways driving to my girlfriends house last night on the motorway at 65 mph trying to decent mpg (in the slow lane) a Golf R32 decides to appear out of the blue and sits on my rear bumper.. So I think why don't he go in the middle lane and overtake me?

After a couple of mins this Golf is still glued to my bumper so I start to get a little annoyed but then he done something really stupid :shock: .. He overtook me AND BROKE INFRONT of me so I went to the middle lane and we just both floored it so from around 65-70 mph 5th gear (did not even down shift) we was off and I got to say in a 5th gear pull from 70+ the tubby pulls well... Anyways let's just say he got to read my "VTEC This" sticker on my bumper :lol: So from around 70-120 he got showed up 3.2 v 2.0 lol

just wondering why loads of MR2 owners think their diesal cars will keep up with their tubbys on a motorway blast ? I'll admit gear 4 and high revs is useless but gear 5 from 80 onwards has a lot of pull

Anyways a little happy that my rev2 tubby took on a R32 at that speed

:wink: :wink: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
jasongtr

Re: Rev 2 Tubby v Golf MK5 R32 DSG

Post by jasongtr »

why would you be impressed at that? in a straight dry (i assume) line where the r32's 4wd wont make a jot of difference you are comparing a car that weighs around 1600+ kgs and has 250hp to a car that weighs 1200- kgs and has similar power and less transmission losses.

ive had a mk4 R32 (10 hp less but ultimatley the same really unless they had a dsg gearbox which makes it slightly quicker) and i love golfs but they are overweight and underpowered - certaily no sports cars - but try telling that to the owners.

that said he sounded like a tool for trying to engage you - good show for showing him the mr2 rear end

i know someone who has a 450hp R36 turbo mk4 golf, thats an interesting car :thumleft:
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

jasongtr wrote:why would you be impressed at that? in a straight dry (i assume) line where the r32's 4wd wont make a jot of difference you are comparing a car that weighs around 1600+ kgs and has 250hp to a car that weighs 1200- kgs and has similar power and less transmission losses.

ive had a mk4 R32 (10 hp less but ultimatley the same really unless they had a dsg gearbox which makes it slightly quicker) and i love golfs but they are overweight and underpowered - certaily no sports cars - but try telling that to the owners.

that said he sounded like a tool for trying to engage you - good show for showing him the mr2 rear end

i know someone who has a 450hp R36 turbo mk4 golf, thats an interesting car :thumleft:

I was impressed with my tubby because it was a high speed go and the R32 has a big engine :eye:

Ye the guy was a tool and ruined me trying to see the what mpg I can get (I let my car go on the light and put 30 litres in and was going to wait for the light to come back on and work it all out lol)

450 bhp must be mental there's a boy a couple of roads away from me and has a 400 bhp r32 (mk 4 though so no DSG)
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

DSG are great when they work, mega money when they dont, was told once a new gearbox is £6-7k :shock:
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

That's quite cheap. My PDK 'box is a £15K replacement if it goes wrong.

:pale:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

difference being one is a family hatchback - albeit with a big engine, and ones a modern beetle :lol:
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

Ekona wrote:That's quite cheap. My PDK 'box is a £15K replacement if it goes wrong.

This is why if I could ever afford a Porsche turbo S or a e46 m3 I wouldnt go for their fancy gearbox even though I would really want to lol
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

this is the trouble with alot of 5-10 year old nice cars, cheap enough to buy but afraid to drive it properly incase it goes belly up
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

I've had this with an R32 that seems to take a similar route home to me after work. He always used to tear it past me when the '2 was an NA. Surprised him a bit after the tubby conversion... :lol:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

haha, love to see the look on his face when that happened.

you still coming over later, could you make it 1.30 instead if thats ok
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Will do :thumleft:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

ta
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

vtecpower wrote:
Ekona wrote:That's quite cheap. My PDK 'box is a £15K replacement if it goes wrong.

This is why if I could ever afford a Porsche turbo S or a e46 m3 I wouldnt go for their fancy gearbox even though I would really want to lol

If you had £85k for a TurboS (PDK) you would have enough money for an OPC warranty that covers stuff like that...
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Trust me, I love my warranty :mrgreen:
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

willfinch36 wrote:
vtecpower wrote:

If you had £85k for a TurboS (PDK) you would have enough money for an OPC warranty that covers stuff like that...

That's so true buddy
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

jasongtr wrote:this is the trouble with alot of 5-10 year old nice cars, cheap enough to buy but afraid to drive it properly incase it goes belly up

This is true as I find myself looking at E46 M3's a lot on autotrader ill just wait until I can Properlly afford 1 or mod my rev2 tubby
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

Tsia wrote:I've had this with an R32 that seems to take a similar route home to me after work. He always used to tear it past me when the '2 was an NA. Surprised him a bit after the tubby conversion... :lol:

Nice one I bet you was waiting for him that time :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Tsia wrote:I've had this with an R32 that seems to take a similar route home to me after work. He always used to tear it past me when the '2 was an NA. Surprised him a bit after the tubby conversion... :lol:

Frickin looooool :lol:. . As that say "Paybacks a b****" :wink: :mrgreen:
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Those R32's are quick, had a play with one in my 350Z GT 300 and the GT only just had the edge in a straight line, i wasnt trying at first and i managed to pull back a couple car lengths then slowly pull away.
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

My old flatmate had a Mk5 R32. My Clio 172 was just as quick.

Return to “Driving Experiences”