996 911 Turbo

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Graeme Shaw

996 911 Turbo

Post by Graeme Shaw »

Right

Sadly after 10 years, I think the time has come to move on from the mr2.

For a long time I have always fancied a 911, especially the famed "Turbo".
It was when I started to see prices for 2000-2005 models dropping to around 20-25k that I really sat up and took note.

Its one of my dream cars, that now I may be able to afford. Sure, id love a Lambo a Ferrari, a 911 997 turbo, but they are still out of my league.
A 996, 911 turbo thats now obtainable for me. Its almost a natural next step from a Mr2 turbo.

Whats not to like?
4 wheel drive, 420bhp, 0-60 in 4.1secs, (in the book, but most magazines claimed to be surprised when they tested the 911 turbo to find it did 0-60 in 4 secs or less), 413 torques, top speed of 189mph, back seats!, refined, cruise control, air con, electric memory seats, sat nav etc, etc.
Yes, its still old but a modern marvel compared to an mr2, and the same road tax as the mr2.

A super car to use everyday.

Heres just one I spied:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160829523431? ... 1438.l2649

The problem im having is Tiptronic or manual?

There are more tiptronics kicking around but are slightly slower with 0-60 coming up in 4.6 secs (book)
But they do have F1 style gear change buttons on the steering wheel, which I like the sound of, and I think it might be nice to have the choice of a padel type semi automatic gear change or fully automatic when you just want to relax and cruise.

The problem.........

A couple of days ago I was approached from the rear from no where, by a mean looking black 911. Could it be a turbo I thought excitedly? After a roundabout I discovered it was after seeing the huge iconic side intakes.
I cant tell you how excited I was at this point. I have waited for this moment for years, how much faster will it be in comparison? Will he want to play?
This became clear when he undertook me when I was behind traffic.

It looked awesome, and sounded even better than I ever could have imagined. Of course I let him in.

Traffic cleared...............

Im ready to be blown away by this machine, I wanted it to destroy me, to leave me for dust, to show me a REALLY fast car and leave me wondering whether i had left the handbrake on and make me want one even more.

What happened? After a puff of black smoke, he pulled about 3 car lengths on me before he pulled over and I started to reel him in!! This cant be right? Is he playing with me? Does he have a problem? Is he a crap driver? I thought.
By this point I was miles past my exit but could not miss this. We played for few miles with the same results, we slowed down. He help the out side lane, I pulled up along side both of us with windows down. "What on earth is in that!?" He asked. "Standard with a touch more boost" I shouted. "Nice" he said, "yours is nicer and faster" I said. We waved our goodbyes and he was off.

I was left a little dissapointed to be honest.
Certainly didnt look like 120 more bhp worth.

I know, I know.......... which car id rather be in. But it shows how fast a modified MR2 turbo is.

After a quick calculation theres only about 30bhp in it with respect to power to weight, which makes more sense by the way he pulled on me.

Any way I still want one I think, but it has left me thinking do I really want to sell the mr2? Do I really need the Porsche? 20k for something thats actually not in the different league that I thought it was.

G
Ekona

Re: 996 911 Turbo

Post by Ekona »

He'd have pulled serious distance after the ton. That's where these things feel absolutely monstrous.

The tiptronic 'box is much maligned but only because people don't know how to use it correctly. I'd still have the manual over the auto, but do drive both to see which you prefer. Don't get too excited about the buttons to change gear though, they're the wrong way round and a bit useless, although I believe you can get aftermarket wheels with proper paddles.

Stunning cars, and absolute bargains at £20K assuming you can stomach the running costs. :thumleft:
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

I think the 911 996 Turbo would be a good investment if you like your cars.

Sure it'll cost a bit more to run but if it's just a occasional second car, good value :thumleft:

I also know what you mean about the natural proggresion from the mr2.
You need a car which does everything better than your mr2 and has a turbo.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

get one ..
i lovethem..
drove a carrera with a triptronic.. its okay.. but substitue for a manual..
craig

Post by craig »

996 911 Turbo - The daddy! :twisted:

I want one. LOTS. =P~
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

Wow, that looks good! Looks like a 2001 model with 997 side intake mod.

Can you tell ive been some research..................
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

I love them... this is my one...
Nothing on the road has ever come close to it...(that I have met)

I raced my mate[private road of course] in his mr2 (300bhp) just left it for dead.. especially over 100...

Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

Nice.

Test drove a manual the other day. Felt quick. Surprised how silent it was though. I wanted it to sound a bit better when giving it some.

Are the standard exhausts stainless steel? A milltek looks to be the best option but is mega bucks!

G
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

Graeme Shaw wrote:Nice.

Test drove a manual the other day. Felt quick. Surprised how silent it was though. I wanted it to sound a bit better when giving it some.

Are the standard exhausts stainless steel? A milltek looks to be the best option but is mega bucks!

G

I dont thnk the standard exhaust is stainless steel.

Yeah no mods are cheap I assure you!

You sort of get used to the exhaust tone, at about 4500rpm it makes this incredible scream that all 911 turbo's do, obviously nothing like a Ferrari V8 but it just sounds like pure torque haha
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

Have you left yours standard?

Do I want a 2002 onwards? Been told there was a facelift, dash and not sure what else?

G
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

I'd much rather have a 911 turbo than a Ferrari! I love them, they seem like proper drivers cars!
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

Graeme Shaw wrote:Have you left yours standard?

Do I want a 2002 onwards? Been told there was a facelift, dash and not sure what else?

G

End of the day a 911 turbo is a 911 turbo.. mine is 2001, there are a few slight cosmetic changes in the 2002 model, but when I got it at 20 I jumped in right at the deep end before doing too much research. Just bought the fastest porsche I could.

Its pretty much standard. When I bought it, came with Forge Diverter valves + a short shifter kit.
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

my cousin in law has the "Turbo S" version.. stupidly quick, nice to drive :thumleft:

interior is not all that though
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

My housemate has a 2006 997 turbo tiptronic. The box is slow and deserves the name "slushbox" but the car hauls ass effortlessly no matter when you push the loud pedal - it takes a good half a second from when you press the button on the wheel to the box changing up if you want to overtake - something you have to get used to. Oh and they are not "F1 style" paddles - they're buttons on the wheel. Great build quality. Epic brakes - I mean, the best I've ever used/seen/felt in a road car. Ridiculous service costs and especially, tyres. I want one, but I won't be going turbo - Carrera S 3.8 for me (rwd/manual)
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

I has F1 style paddles :mrgreen:
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

This is next on my shopping list .... have a budget of up to 25k and originally was going to go for a dodge Ram... V10 obviously but have since noticed these and the speed of them and have changed my mind.

You can get a re map for them which pushes them over 500hp and they are still bomb proof at that power :thumleft:
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

2 New rear tyres were about £520 (for the pair!)

295/30/18
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

I like the look of the earlier models, but in reality I'd be adventurous and get a TVR \:D/

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

Ekona

Is that an aftermarket steering wheel? WAs it big bucks?

Does anyone know if the 2002+(pcm2 i think) sat nav system actually plays dvds?
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Mine's a PDK model so I've got the proper Sports Design steering wheel, but there is this one available from Carnewal for €875 - €1000 depending on finish. My one was £900, so that's about fair for something that needs a bit of effort to get working. For the designer I mean, not the installer.

None of the PCM systems play DVDs. My PCM3 will play the audio, but not the video. Tbh PCM2 is useless, you'd be better off removing it, getting a MOST adaptor and putting in your double DIN of choice.

Return to “Driving Experiences”