Budget Forged MK2 Turbo Project

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Danbob

Budget Forged MK2 Turbo Project

Post by Danbob »

Hi, I'm Dan!

I've recently picked up a non-running MK2 turbo with a spare engine for a price I couldn't refuse

The plan is to get it road worthy and running ready for a track day in July, then after a good shakedown turn it into a solid road legal trackday car!

Here are the photo's of it when I first got it:
Here she is........

After three years sitting outside motionless on an english driveway the pop up headlights still work! :D

As you can see the body work is near perfect for it's age and underneath it's fairly sound aswell :)

Unfortunately all of the brakes are seized, but all in all there's not too much to do to get it running!
Last edited by Danbob on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Danbob

Re: Budget Forged MK2 Turbo Project

Post by Danbob »

Work has finally begun,

Got some wheels to replace the 17" Team dynamics that were on it (not to my taste)

Standard Rev5's in white I love them,

Eventually might get some nice custom split rims for it but these will do for now until I have some more free income!

And bought new Water pump and Oil pump for the spare engine, haven't had a chance to go and pick it up yet though.

Also stripped the front calipers down, seized and rusty. Used the vinegar trick and got them stripped down to the bare metal, came out perfectly

Got the fronts in etch primer at the moment, haven't decided which colour to paint them as not much goes with black car/white wheel combination. I'm thinking gold at the moment though, nothing lairy.

Won't have a chance to do any work for the next three weeks, but as soon as I'm back got to strip the rear calipers, paint them all and rebuild with new seals and pistons.

then it's on to dropping the old engine!
Last edited by Danbob on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Post by craig »

Sounds like a good project! Will be keeping tabs on this :D
gaz700

Post by gaz700 »

that spoiler goes nicely,keeping an eye on this one bud
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Yeah I quite like the spoiler, bit bigger than stock but still fit's the shape of the car, unfortunately it's been very badly sprayed though and it hasn't aged well so will need a respray!
gtinash

Post by gtinash »

good progress
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Also forgot to mention I got a bargain exhaust for it aswell quite a while back!

It's a little lairy for my tastes and will likely be far too loud, but it will do as a cheap exhaust to get it going

Will paint and rebuild the calipers week after next when I get back, then on with the proper work stripping the old engine out after that
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Danbob wrote:

Also stripped the front calipers down, seized and rusty. Used the vinegar trick and got them stripped down to the bare metal, came out perfectly

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18 ... 0-1553.jpg

G[/url]

Hi!

I have a set of front rev2+ calipers and I want to refurbish them.
Can you explain how to do this with vinegar? Did you put the complete caliper (with pistons, rubers etc.) to the vinegar of did you disattached everything?

BTW, good luck with a project!
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

No Problem. Unfortunately I didn't take any more photo's of the process while I did it but here's a summary:

I am completely replacing all seals boots etc. on my calipers so I wasn't worried about them being affected.

Basically I bought 11 pint bottles of white vinegar from Asda (44p each) and a wash basin (70p)

Split the calipers from the pad carriers

It's your choice at this point what to do with the rubber parts. I was replacing mine anyway so I left the old ones in for now, but they seem to be unaffected by the vinegar, the rubber components on OEM brake calipers go through all sorts of chemical resistance tests anyway so they will probably be OK, Don't hold me to that though!

Fill the bowl with vinegar and drop them all in

Leave for two days approx, longer if necessary

Take them out - One of my calipers was completely rust and paint free as photo'd straight away, the other took a bit of wire brushing to get it that way. but all in all pretty effortless.

I then dipped them in another tub full of water mixed with bicarb of soda (Alkali) to neutralise any remaining vinegar (70p ASDA)

and dried using compressed air and brake cleaner,

Then immediately etch primered them before any surface rust could form on the cast iron

I think I will be using gold Foliatec Caliper paint to finish them off, unless anyone can recoment a better caliper paint?
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

That's a great info, thanks!

I think I will do the same for mine :)
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

If you have a hunt about on google it's quite a well documented method of cheap and easy rust removal/prep
riot68

Post by riot68 »

I always drop my nuts and bolts in vinegar for a day when I'm replacing anything to clean them up works a treat, nice project BTW, think green/turquoise is good with black car...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Calipers are coming along nicely, all rebuilt and almost finished painting

Driveshafts out - Nearside hub nut was a B******d!

Subframe and all rear suspension off

Started to disconnect everything from the engine on Friday, one night this week will hopefully have the new engine at the workshop and on the stand and the old engine out!
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

New Engine is now in the workshop :)

Old Engine Dropped

Going to try lifting the rear end of the car up with the crane and sliding the engine out on a parcel shelf resting on two greased up lengths of wood!
ashley

Post by ashley »

Awesome- good work! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Where did you get the replacement engine from?
craig

Post by craig »

Good updates mate, engine looks smart! :D
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Cheers :)

Projects getting interesting now

The new engine actually came as part of the deal with the car, I've just not had time to get it picked up and brought over until now.

The lad I got the car off used to have another MR2 which was written off so he kept the engine from it.

According to the bloke who sold him that car.....

The engine was completely rebuilt only 12K miles ago,
It has a Turbo Technics stage one hybrid turbo,
the car (Gold flip paint Northamptonshire/Bedfordshire area) was a demo car and was magazine featured

But I'm not sure how much of that I can believe. Could all be sales patter but I may aswell put it in and see

No Turbo Technics sticker on the turbo so don't know how else I can tell?
ashley

Post by ashley »

Nice one- well fingers crosse she's a solid engine, you'll find out soon enough once you get her running :thumleft:
Krish

Post by Krish »

Works coming along nicely :thumleft:

When do you expect to have her up and running?
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

I've arranged a track day at work at the end of July, so hopefully it's going to be ready for that!

But I've got a lot of house moving and other real life stuff to do before then so gonna be hard to find enough time to get it done!

Fingers crossed though or I'll be driving my Diesel Mondeo round the track lol, nobody want's to see that!

Return to “Member Profiles”