CAN YOU HELP THESE MK1 OWNERS?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RichardMorgan

Post by RichardMorgan »

I receive a lot of cries for help addressed to the MR2 MK1 Club from MK1 owners all over the world. IMOC has kindly agreed that they can be posted here so forum members can help out these fellow MK1'ers

I own an 88 SC auto with a broken box and I would like to change to manual. I have been looking for a manual supercharger gearbox with LSD for almost 18 months. I have tried FENSPORT but they have none at present, and I am at my wits end. Someone mentioned to me that a MK2 MR2 turbo box may fit, do you know would this be possible and if so what would I need??? I have found a front wheel drive 4AGZE engine and gearbox in a Corolla - would this box fit???
Do all Supercharger gearboxes have LSD??? - (This question already answered)I would really appreciate your help and knowledge in these matters
Stewart Park (MR2 MK1 Club member)
waynestoyotamr2

Re: CAN YOU HELP THESE MK1 OWNERS?

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

One for Paul Woods I think....

Last time I mentioned Auto -> Manual conversions to Paul Woods he didnt seem very keen!!!!
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Theoretically there is no reason why a Corolla box wouldn't work. It would be the same internally.

You may need to faff with the linkage as it'd be round the wrong way of course, but i don't see this as insurmountable. You'd need driveshafts too and these are stupidly hard to get hold of.

Count yourself lucky if you find a box with LSD.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
RichardMorgan

Post by RichardMorgan »

I receive a lot of cries for help addressed to the MR2 MK1 Club from MK1 owners all over the world. IMOC has kindly agreed that they can be posted here so forum members can help out these fellow MK1'ers

Hi, my name is Brett Sherriff, I live in New Zealand, any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
I am installing a 4AGE red top non TVIS engine into a KE70 station wagon - 1984 Corolla.
I purchased an MR2 oil cooler sandwich block (for between the block and oil filter) with the intention of installing an oil cooler onto this engine, but it only has one pipe coming off it, the other port on the block has a pretty factory looking plug in it. I assume that the line out of the sandwich plate goes to the oil cooler, but am at a loss as to where the oil returns to the motor, I think maybe it returns direct to the sump??? Is this correct?? And if I use this set-up I would just have to weld fitting to my sump and plumb from the sandwich plate to oil cooler, from oil cooler to sump. Is this
correct?? Or do you know where I can find a diagram of the set-up in an MR2?
Thank you very much for your time
your help is appreciated
Brett Sherriff
Last edited by RichardMorgan on Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RichardMorgan

Post by RichardMorgan »

I'd be grateful for any help you can give me with the problem I'm having.
I've got a G-reg MK1. This may not be relevant, but it was parked nose-down on my sloping drive during heavy rain. Next time I started it, I have three lights shining on the dash, engine, battery and brake.
Now, I've found various stuff for this online, but none seem to make it clear whether the handbrake light's supposed to go out when you let the handbrake off. Mine, not surprisingly, does,
but I'd have thought that because of this it shouldn't be included as a symptom. And I can't find anywhere that refers to only having two lights on.
So I have the battery light and the 'engine and fan symbol' light on, and the battery doesn't appear to be charging because it's gone flat. I just replaced the alternator with one from a C-reg MR2 from a breakers, but I still have the same problem. Now I don't know whether it's something else, or whether that one was shot too.
Oh, and I have 13.7V when I connect to terminal B and earth as shown in the BGB, but I haven't got an ammeter up to 30A to check that. I tried to check for 10A, and didn't find anything.
Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Jon Page [email protected]
Last edited by RichardMorgan on Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Would you not also require a manual GZE ecu? Auto ecu's generally have extra gubbins in them for things like shift points, ignition retardation during gear changes and other bits and bobs. I don't know if it would freak out without an automatic gearbox to tell it what was going on? (or are the MR2 auto boxes not that clever???)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

RichardMorgan wrote:Hi, my name is Brett Sherriff, I live in New Zealand, any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
I am installing a 4AGE red top non TVIS engine into a KE70 station wagon - 1984 Corolla.
I purchased an MR2 oil cooler sandwich block (for between the block and oil filter) with the intention of installing an oil cooler onto this engine, but it only has one pipe coming off it, the other port on the block has a pretty factory looking plug in it. I assume that the line out of the sandwich plate goes to the oil cooler, but am at a loss as to where the oil returns to the motor, I think maybe it returns direct to the sump??? Is this correct?? And if I use this set-up I would just have to weld fitting to my sump and plumb from the sandwich plate to oil cooler, from oil cooler to sump. Is this
correct?? Or do you know where I can find a diagram of the set-up in an MR2?
Thank you very much for your time
your help is appreciated
Brett Sherriff

Yes it returns to the sump.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

MegatronUK wrote:Would you not also require a manual GZE ecu? Auto ecu's generally have extra gubbins in them for things like shift points, ignition retardation during gear changes and other bits and bobs. I don't know if it would freak out without an automatic gearbox to tell it what was going on? (or are the MR2 auto boxes not that clever???)

You can use the auto ecu without too much of a problem, i know someone that has done this.
tonyg

Post by tonyg »

I use an auto agze ecu on mine with manual box, works fine just had to short the park sensor..
RichardMorgan

Post by RichardMorgan »

I´m trying to learn about the function of sensors like MAP, MAF, intake air temp etc. One doubt of mine is how the UCE acts on the advance ignition timing when the MAP varies. Can you explain this to me?
When the MAP voltage increase (load increase) the ignition is reduced? Do you have an example map of "advance ignition x load x rpm"?
MAF works the same way?
Thank you in advance.
Vanderlei from Brazil [email protected]

PS: Pardon my English
Last edited by RichardMorgan on Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardMorgan

Post by RichardMorgan »

I receive a lot of cries for help addressed to the MR2 MK1 Club from MK1 owners all over the world. IMOC has kindly agreed that they can be posted here so forum members can help out these fellow MK1'ers.

Hi, I have just found your website and have posted my application to join.
I have owned a Mk1 for 16 years and in that time have experienced most of the regular problems associated with this car.
But in the last two days I have encountered one which leaves me baffled, quite simply I cannot open the boot - neither with the internal release catch or the external key lock release.
The key will not rotate in the lock which makes me think that the rod between the lock and the release catch has come detached and jammed,
Do you know if anyone has come across this problem before? And if so how did they open the boot. ](*,)
Any help would be gratefully appreciated
Ron Bremner
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

<unhelpful admin type thing to say>
Any chance we could split these into individual topics with their own titles - would stand a much better chance of getting answered that way?
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

exactly what I though each question need its own thread or its just confusing, also the people asking the questions need directing to this forum so that they can respond to the possible solutions! the more bodies we get here the more use the section will be to all concerned :D :D
RichardMorgan

Post by RichardMorgan »

exactly what I though each question need its own thread or its just confusing, also the people asking the questions need directing to this forum so that they can respond to the possible solutions! the more bodies we get here the more use the section will be to all concerned

Hello Kevin, I have asked Lauren for guidance on this. I do email each person with the problem suggesting that they monitor the page for answers. I also suggest that they might like to join the forum as well. Richard Morgan
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

I'm getting really confused :?

If they were separate posts with problem titles I think it would get a better response.

Just my 2p's worth
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

RichardMorgan wrote:
exactly what I though each question need its own thread or its just confusing, also the people asking the questions need directing to this forum so that they can respond to the possible solutions! the more bodies we get here the more use the section will be to all concerned

Hello Kevin, I have asked Lauren for guidance on this. I do email each person with the problem suggesting that they monitor the page for answers. I also suggest that they might like to join the forum as well. Richard Morgan

Richard i think considering that there are a number of problems posted in the same topic it would be a better idea for the sake of clarity to start a new topic for each problem you get as at least that way the answer ought to all be relevant to the question.

cheers,

Lauren
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

I agree with you Lauren,it would be better to put each question into a seperate post,otherwise it will get confusing,i'm sure there would be more answers to the questions too!
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Hi Richard I'm aware that many of us are quite new to this forum game I'm sure it will all become clearer in time. its much easier though if each question has its own titled thread then we can see how its going and all learn somthing hopefully. Just keep plugging away at getting as many as possible to come here and see how its done. Guess how many responses I have about a Stoke area meet :roll: :roll:
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Kevin,

Get yourself over to the Loughborough meet then. You can fly over on the A50. The next one is 31st I think. Have a look in Events section, it's listed there. And do us all a favour and post on it to bump it to the top. It's miles down the list I think.

Edited: Here's the link:
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15663
It wasn't even on the first page

Best regards,

Tom
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Kevin,

Get yourself over to the Loughborough meet then
the idea was to try and get something going here to get more of the members active and maybe boost attendance on runs etc there seems to be at least one new member a month here so what do they do after they have paid their subs? I get to as many events as poss. I wanted to get more members involved rather than just seeing the same half dozen people who take on the whole running of the club ](*,)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”