www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
The journey of one man and his Mule(s)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 137, 138, 139  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Member Profiles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magic Beans
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 29

1998 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev5

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Morning all [Smile]

It's been a bit special this weekend huh [Dancing]

After a couple of days eating meat, building man forts out of hay (including the recruiting of minions [Laughing] ) I came back yesterday evening ready to crack on again. First up was taking the edges off the metal from where the grinder has shredded it.

After filing and a wash down

Cut to a long time later, after a huge amount of tweaking to get things lined up again

Test fit was a success so I marked up the point of the inner arch where the speed flaps needed to end. Ensuring there's plenty of tyre room etc

Cut. This time without finger grinding. Although my many wounds have kept getting knocked all weekend.

Scoring the surface to mark where the bends need to go

As I don't have a vice or any proper metal bending tools I had to improvise. So what I decided to do was clamp a metal ruler along the edge which was being bent, to ensure that line was followed. Then doing the same thing in different parts of the fold

With it bent roughly into position I then used a mallet and a flat edge (good old spare decking) to bash it all straight (this is before)

Both sides now done the edges of the flaps etc could be filed down, to take the sharp edges off

All done it was finally time to remove the plastic film and reveal the nice clean metal underneath [Smile]

All reassembled and ready to be mounted back onto the car.

It was pretty late by the time this was done so I called it quits for the night. Hopefully I'll get chance to finish the job completely tonight, if not it'll be tomorrow.
craig
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 139

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Top job squire, makes me want one now, but got plenty of other things that need sorting first. Mainly building a car. [Laughing]
Magic Beans
Premium Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Don't DIY it! It takes bl**dy hours to do and is a massive PITA [blackeye]
Peter Gidden - SBITS
IMOC Affiliated Company

Feedback Score: 18

2002 Noble M500

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Looking good Phil - much work indeed. [thumleft]
Brighton National Speed Trials Class Record Holder 2010 on
synXero

Feedback Score: 34

2004 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Stellar effort regardless of impacts! Now the rest of the underbody.
Magic Beans
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks guys [Embarassed]

Should have it all mounted and assembled by the end of the day, so when there's a break in the weather I'll take it for a shakedown run. If the results are good I'll make plans to do the rest. The other panels should be much easier in theory and should fit any MKII [Smile]

The front end is so much more solid now, as the tray pulls everything together and the bolts into the underbody also add rigidity. I can't imagine the bumper flapping around at speed was doing anything to help the handling of the car [Confused]
Magic Beans
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I decided to get up early this morning and finish off the front end, so I can finally get it out of my head and get some proper sleep! [blackeye]

First up was mounting the bumper back on fully, along with all bolts etc. Next up was bolting the attaching the undertray to the stock underbody trim, to ensure it doesn't move at all once it's all in place.

The blue area should have a sign saying "Coming soon: Custom arch liners and no more views of the floor" [Laughing]

Due to a break in the weather it was time to roll out and get all the bits bolted back on.

Some of what needed to go on

Arch flares and sidelights on

Lights in

Just one thing left to go on then....

One of the flaps

I got to wondering if anyone else has made one of these before and incorporated speed flaps into the design [Think]

Must resist the urge to start working on the custom liners before Le Mans [Anxious]

Job done [Very Happy] Just need the rain to move along so I can test it out...
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Nice work Phil [Applause]
Ben
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5

1990 Westfield Sei

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Looking good [Dancing]
pistol pete
IMOC Moderator

Feedback Score: 27

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Looking good buddy
Magic Beans
Premium Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thankyou gentlemen [Smile]

Looks like the weather's going to be compliant this weekend, so I can finally get this thing officially back on the road [Very Happy] Shame it's taken until June to get there though [Shocked] Time to dig out the GoPro me thinks [Whistle]
dawesy

Feedback Score: 9

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

top work there phil, very pro looking.
be good to see if the flaps have helped
Moo
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 39

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Seems like every time I don't visit the forums for a few days there's loads of changes [Laughing] Very impressive work [Applause]

Considered doing something similar with my bumper years ago. Will be interested in hearing the results and I might have to re-visit this area if your findings are positive [Cool]
Magic Beans
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

[thumleft]

Taking it out for a proper run tomorrow so will report back with the results. Might take the GoPro out with me and get some footage, to make the most of the better seasons while we have them [Smile]
Magic Beans
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

So it's been another nice day [Cool]

Who'd have thought it would be June before I got to do my first proper run in the car?! [Shocked] It was worth the wait though..

I'm pleased to announce that the front end work has made a noticeable improvement to the car's handling. The car feels generally a lot more solid and when cornering long bends at 70 mph that floaty/understeery feel is reduced. There's room for improvement, which I think the liners will bring, as it completes the package. Sufficed to say the efforts so far have been worth it [Very Happy]

I forgot how fast this damn this is though.... [blackeye]

**Edit** Turns out Adrienne was taking (bad) photos along the way [Laughing]

Last edited by Magic Beans on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
pistol pete
IMOC Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

good to hear buddy, [thumleft]
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Good stuff Phil, that interior looks pretty fresh. [thumleft]
pistol pete
IMOC Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

loving that interior [thumleft]
Moo
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 39

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

^^ Indeed, interior looks well clean and fresh.
Magic Beans
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

It all looks a bit like a mobile amusements on that photo [Laughing] It's not really distracting in the flesh but it's not as stealth as I'd like. I have designs on something very different, like nothing I've seen in a '2 before. Not sure if it will ever become a reality though [Think]

An another note... After seeing the state of things up in the Pyrenees at the moment I thought I'd better fast-track fabricating some arch liners, instead of waiting until we got back [Anxious]

This is going to be somewhat of an express build photos wise, as my dinner was calling and I wanted to get the front piece mocked up tonight [Laughing]

God bless ample packaging from order purchases [Very Happy]

Cut to some cutting and tweaking having been done

Needed more height so broke out the big bit and transferred the template across

More tweaking and cutting later I had the finished article.

I need to add on a bit at the side as I didn't have enough board width. It's marked on the template so no dramas to add on. All being well the other side should then just be a mirror of this. [Pray]
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Member Profiles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 137, 138, 139  Next
Page 77 of 139

Jump to: