rear brake calipers

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

adam maclean

rear brake calipers

Post by adam maclean »

Fitted new black diamond front disks and pads went to fit the rear pads but couldnt get the caliper(passenger side) off. is there any thing specific i need to do to push the piston back into the housing, i did open the bleed nipple and the handbrake was off.
biscuitsbrown

Re: rear brake calipers

Post by biscuitsbrown »

Hey dude, yes there is! The rear caliper on the MR2 Mk2 works as the handbrake as well which is self adjusting! For this to work the piston doesn't simply push back in, it has to be twisted back in! In other words it has a ratchet system so as the pads wear, the caliper self adjusts to keep the handbrake tight! You really need to take the caliper off the disc before you can wind the piston back in! It's kind of awkward because its hard to get the caliper off if the disc has a lip on it! Not sure if there are any 'tricks of the trade' to help?! Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge than me can help further!!

Hope its gets you going in the right direction though!

Good luck, Stu
JohnnyC

Re: rear brake calipers

Post by JohnnyC »

This courtesy of Mr Canny's website should help:

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/old/pics/mr2/mycar/brakes/

Also, take the cap off the brake fluid resevoir otherwise you'll be trying to compress brake fluid & air - but be careful that the fluid in the resevoir doesn't spill over as the piston is put back in.

Return to “Mechanical”