painting door mirrors

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stevenb

painting door mirrors

Post by stevenb »

Does anyone recommend a particular typr of paint I can use to paint my door mirrors and the rubbery/plasticy triangle bits.....and preferably the window strips (metal).
One of my triangles is a bit faded and i have silver bits showing around the window strips.

I think a nice satin black finish would look nice. No colour coding.....
waynestoyotamr2

Re: painting door mirrors

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Steven, really easy. Even I managed it!

Wet and dry the metal strips back to metal, mask up really well and spray with Halfords Matt Black.

Works really well, and tidys the car up a hell of alot for £8 + 2 hours or so work.
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

waynestoyotamr2 wrote:Steven, really easy. Even I managed it!

Wet and dry the metal strips back to metal, mask up really well and spray with Halfords Matt Black.

Works really well, and tidys the car up a hell of alot for £8 + 2 hours or so work.

Matt black for the metal strips....not for the door mirrors......must be satin as I want them to shine. :wink:

Halfords paint it is.....
waynestoyotamr2

Steven, the triangles are a bit of a PITA imo to get the paint off, I usually chip away at it with a small screw driver - you will be all day with wet n dry on that. Tape the mirror up well too and make sure you dont scuff it mate!
ulysess1966

Post by ulysess1966 »

It isn't that difficult to take the mirrors off the car and strip them down. They are screwed in very tight with three screws behind the plastic trim triangle inside the door. I used a small wrench and a crosshead bit to get some leaverage and got them loose.

Made the job of painting a lot simpler.
superchargedsam

Post by superchargedsam »

Wayne did you use a primer on the window edges and if so which one did you use?
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

superchargedsam wrote:Wayne did you use a primer on the window edges and if so which one did you use?

£8 from halfrauds, sounds like he didnt :lol:
superchargedsam

yeah thats how I read it as well but just wondered as its quite shiny metal under the paint !
waynestoyotamr2

Sam - absolutely no need for primer in my experience.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

i've also heard that acylic paint can be quite good, but not seen the results myself
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
superchargedsam

wayne fairysnuff then I will give it a go as they do look tired, what grades of wet and dry did you use to start and finish and in between (well the whole process really DOH!).

Cheers fella.

Sam
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

About to do mine... but I can't make my mind up as to what to do with the mirrors...

1: Repaint them entirely in matt satin black as I'm doing with all the other exterior black trim.
2: Colour code the mirror body in the same colour as the car, leaving the 'stalk' and triangular plastic in matt black.
3: Colour code the mirror body, stalk and plastic base bate in bode colour.

All the bodywork is being repainted in an off-white, the side rubbing strips have been removed and the door handles are being coded. Plastic trim from the bottom of the window upwards is getting re-done in matt black.... I think coloured mirrors would look good, but I'm not sure whether to do all of 'em or just the bodies.... what are standard colour coded mk1 mirrors like?
superchargedsam

when I had my red mk1 resprayed I had it fully colour coded with door handles mirrors the lot and it looked good IMO and have my blue SC colour coded and that looks good as well so I rekon go for it and do the lot but its personal choice fella and yours is looking good so far !

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”