Fixing rust on a Mk1: Where's the best place to learn?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

anna

Fixing rust on a Mk1: Where's the best place to learn?

Post by anna »

I am contemplating a bit of DIY welding for my silver slug when it's mot runs out in November.
The anti-roll bar mounts on the front need doing again, the passenger footwell, and all the usual cosmetic arch stuff...

My local College do a 'vehicle body repair introduction' course starting in november (10 weeks for £150)... don't know whether it's worth me signing up though.
I did a day welding (just simple stuff) as part of my undergraduate degree and apparently my arc welding was pretty good for a first attempt!

Any recommendations out there? Should I definitely get a course under my belt before having a go at the '2?

I don't really expect to produce a concours car if i do attempt it - but I'd hope to get a non-bodge job.... :-k
stevenb

Re: Fixing rust on a Mk1: Where's the best place to learn?

Post by stevenb »

Hi Anna,
I'd do the course anyway...it's another feather to add to your cap and if you in doubt you could always practise on bits of sapre/old metal lying about.......once you feel confident then go for it and save all the money.....
:wink:

p.s. hows the sony stereo going?
anna

Post by anna »

Sony stereo is great - Alex has been able to listen to tunes on his way to work rather than the worrying 'noises' coming from the car :lol:

You should have come and had a look at JAE, although I didn't manage to track you down either :oops:
tunna_uk

Hi Anna

Post by tunna_uk »

I agree, go for the College course, I should know because I am a Tutor myself on Vehicle Engineering.!
However, I must warn you that MR2 Welding is very tricky and i suspect if your Anti Roll Bar mounts have gone ( like mine had) it will need some other repairs maybe sills etc. I decided to pay out for mine because although I can weld in a fasion, :oops: I decided it would be best left to someone with automotive welding experiance. (You must do your homework and find a decent welder.) It should not cost the earth either.
Paul
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

i would second that last post.i thought i could do some welding on a car myself,bought the mig, got the gear, tried on a couple of bits of scap.
great this is easy i thought.now try doing it upside down,on your side, round corners not so easy.there were more holes at the end than when i started and a good few in my shirt,jean,trainers and worryingly boxer shorts. get someone whos got the experience especially for the structural stuff it needs to be good welding to pass the mot these days.the blobby stuff i can manage is no good any more.
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

The trouble with it is, is that where most cars rust out is on the underside, and this is covered with all sorts of rubbish like underseal and what have you.
To get a desent weld you really need it as clean as possible, and as Kev said, a tack every inch or so is no longer good enough, it has to be continueous these days.
Go on and do the course, and if nothing else at least you will know what your paying for when the garage sticks you with a bill :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”