www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Yellow headlight bulbs, legal or not?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTS GAV

Feedback Score: 13

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Yellow headlight bulbs, legal or not? Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hey all recently fitted some nokya yellow headlight bulbs to my mr as some of you may have seen on my build thread.

My question is are they legal on the uk roads?

I have done lots of reading up on them and cant find a deffinate answer

After reading some info on the bulbs them self, i found some info on why yellow was used in motorsport and fog lights on the road, its to do with reflection at very low visability, white reflects more effectivly off objects i.e rain snow and so on and reflects back into your eye to bright, the yellow actually abosorbs the light not reflecting back as much. on tests you could see further in rain snow and fog with yellow than any other colour.

I noticed some of HGV's and lorries (unsure if there foreign or not) with them fitted but not quet as yellow.

have looked through loads of pages of the road traffic act just cant find anything

any help guys, just need to no where i stand with the police if i get pulled, if i can find a page of the road traffic act showing that they are legal i can simply print it off an pop it in my wallet if i ever get tugged

here a pic of what they look like

cheers gav
Chr15py

Feedback Score: 2

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hey.

Completely legal. They are adverse condition bulbs - they allow better vision in fog/snow etc.

Halfords sell them also as "all weather" types.
Chris
cridge
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I cant help with the road traffic act but I am an MOT Tester & can confirm that yellow headlight bulbs fitted as a matched pair is within the acceptable criteria outlined by the vehicle operator & services agency.

I could scan the page in the manual & send it to you if it helps?
GTS GAV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

brilliant good news then i really liked them and didnt want to have to be pulled over and fined.

cridge if you could buddy that would be great cheers dudes [thumleft]
Rob66

Feedback Score: 0

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Looking good, quite fancy some of those. Do you remember years ago when all French cars had them as standard?
cridge
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

[img][/img]

Hope this helps
GTS GAV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

thanks dude much apreciated, irl print that off and pop it in my wallet [thumleft]

cheers rob, you can buy them here but there not cheap, but are the real deal, a friend tried the cheap taiwan yellow bulbs from ebay he couldnt see a thing, and they lasted all of 5mins [Laughing] wanted them as it gives the car the old school jap look, im still yet to tint the glass it self with this

like here [Smile]

heres the link for the bulbs

http://www.extremestyling.com/Nokya-Arctic-Yellow-H11-55W-Light/M/B0010XO9EE.htm?traffic_src=GB&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=GB&id=uk?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

[thumleft]

Last edited by GTS GAV on Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rob66

Feedback Score: 0

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks Gav, will take a look. I might try out the Halfords all weather bulbs while their doing 2 for 1.

Rob
RST
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 24

2003 Mercedes-Benz CL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Legal or not, yellow I find feck-all use on lamps in low light, If I can figure out how to rip out the yellow reflectors in the fog lamps in my other car it might make them useful. I just couldn't imagine a main light with them. there's just no way in hec I'd go yellow, the whiter the light the better I can see personally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: