MR2 Turbo vs GT4

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Adam86
Premium Member

MR2 Turbo vs GT4

Post by Adam86 »

Anybody ever owned or driven both cars?

In your opinion how are they different to drive?

Which did you prefere?

I have a mate looking at MR2 Turbos and GT4's. He has driven my rev 3 tubby so just after opions from those who have also driven the GT4.

Cheers
Last edited by Adam86 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pistol pete

Re: MR2 Turbo vs GT4

Post by pistol pete »

I have owned both...

I have had 1 gt4 and 2 mr2 turbos

the gt4 in its standard form feels slower than the mr2
its not but just feels a lot safer than the mr2..

my gt4 had a great big blitz turbo on it made it very very fast... then it was enormous fun and loved it..

i must admit if i was to choose a car now,.... i would go for another gt4... simply cos it is good fun.. great looks easily tunable. and you can have more fun in all weathers...
and you combine having space and speed and fun.
jake

Post by jake »

We've got both, a Mk2 rev2 turbo and an ST205 GT4.

The GT4 is generally quicker - more power, much more planted and the 4wd make a huge difference - despite taller gearing and the losses through the drivetrain. But as Pete said - it doesn't always feel it.

The MR2 is like a go kart in comparison and hence great fun - you just have to respect it in the wet. In the dry it's faster in a straight line.

Day to day the GT4 is more expensive in fuel, but will seat 4 adults and is only group 17 for insurance. We've also managed to get 3 people and camping gear in it for a weekend at Goodwood so it's pretty practical.

Tough choice! If it's an only car the practicality would swing it for me, good luck! Check out the GT4OC for more opinions,

Jake
StevenstonWullie

Post by StevenstonWullie »

Been thinking about getting rid of my rev3 tubby and replacing with a gt4 st205 been in a few gt4's and as said they feel really safe great on the twisties :) love my tubby but just need a slightly more practicle car :?
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Yes have to agree with practicality, they are the better option in that respect.

Been looking for a ST165 myself recently. :thumleft:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Really dont understand how anyones standard GT4 could be quicker than a standard Mr2 tubby :S

Its the same engine in both!! yes the gt4 may have upto 20hp more,but the mr2 is lighter and suffers much less transmission loss. Even with the extra bhp of the gt4, i can tell you, the mr2 puts more power and torque down on the road!

come to think of it, im pretty sure the benchmark specs show that the mr2 is faster on the 1/4 and 0-62 than the GT4.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

I had a st205 GT4 for a week, it had the usual bolt on breathing mods, boost tweak. Boring cars, it just felt so dull. and I really didnt look forward to taking it out for a drive, couldnt wait to get parked up when I was driving

:pale:
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

RyanRs wrote:come to think of it, im pretty sure the benchmark specs show that the mr2 is faster on the 1/4 and 0-62 than the GT4.

In the dry, yes. When it's wet? Or when the roads are damp? Bye bye.

I owned an ST205 for 5 1/2 years, the longest I've ever owned a car which goes a long way to show what I thought of the car.

Dale_V wrote:Boring cars, it just felt so dull.

That's fair enough, each to their own and all that, however I think that some of it is due to the unassuming nature of the car. There's no fuss, no drama. You can plod along at very high speeds and the car just feels planted and unfussed.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Slarty wrote:

Dale_V wrote:Boring cars, it just felt so dull.

That's fair enough, each to their own and all that, however I think that some of it is due to the unassuming nature of the car. There's no fuss, no drama. You can plod along at very high speeds and the car just feels planted and unfussed.

could well be that. Great looking cars though, they feel like they have alot of road presence
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Slarty wrote:
RyanRs wrote:come to think of it, im pretty sure the benchmark specs show that the mr2 is faster on the 1/4 and 0-62 than the GT4.

In the dry, yes. When it's wet? Or when the roads are damp? Bye bye.

Well, that might be true in most cases on the road, but if it was on a wet track, then i do wonder if thats correct!

Watch this crazy video of some crazy japs. I know there is no mr2 or celica in this vid, but there is 2 RWD cars vs an EVO -which i can only assume handles better than a celica...

http://www.gtchannel.com/videoChannel/h ... awd-battle
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

The gt4 is faster on the corners without a doubt. They defy the laws of physics. You just can't get ner the grip of 4wd in the mr2.

Those that think that the MR2 is ALWAYS faster obviously haven't driven both of them on the limit. To gain a new found respect for the GT4, grab by the scruff of the neck and throw it around a bit. It really is very impressive.

MR2 feels a lot faster.
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

Who cares if it goes faster around corners..... going fast around corners is only gonna end up in tears in the long run.

Mr2 is only my weekend toy/sunny days so doesnt really bother me if It doesnt have 4x4 dear oh dear.
easty-5

Post by easty-5 »

willfinch36 wrote:Who cares if it goes faster around corners..... going fast around corners is only gonna end up in tears in the long run.

Mr2 is only my weekend toy/sunny days so doesnt really bother me if It doesnt have 4x4 dear oh dear.

Seriously Will. You just shouldn't post on car forums, your an idiot.
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

easty-5 wrote:
willfinch36 wrote:Who cares if it goes faster around corners..... going fast around corners is only gonna end up in tears in the long run.

Seriously Will. You just shouldn't post on car forums, your an idiot.

Oh yeah, didn't you bin yours into the back of a learner driver in the wet.
easty-5

Post by easty-5 »

willfinch36 wrote:

Oh yeah, didn't you bin yours into the back of a learner driver in the wet.

Nope, was perfectly dry.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Ladies ladies, calm down please.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Couple of questions for those who have owned both:-

Whats the driving position in the celica like compared to the 2? Do you sit low with all the controls to hand like in the 2?

Do the seats have all the same adjustments? lumbar, bolster, height etc?
Last edited by Marf on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

I ve got an mr2 and my brothers had 2 gt4s.....

A rev 3 mr2 is quicker in everythin but wet I would think as standard mr2 is quicker round corners just takes more skill to do so.....Back seats and looks are a bonus,mr2 are cheaper to run I would always say just drive both cos its each to there own...alot of this is just my opinion...

Mr2s are slightly more involving, feel quicker and the novelty wont wear off as quickly. Gt4 steering is a little lighter the driving position is not as involving. Grip is better round the corners but you can feel the weight although putting a whiteline arp improves it massivly

If you got a gt4 change the arb and up the boost I think this is a must as you'll be quicker then most of your average evos and scoobies...

This was his first clean as a whisle about 310bhp recaros... projectors...he got rid of it for a 500bhp one and regrets it..

carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

if 4x4 is quicker. then why is it not applied to most top end sports cars..?? ie: Ferrari, porsche. or even in motor sport,, touring cars, formula 1 ect ect...
for me rear wheel drive is quicker, it just takes skill to apply it..!!
so if you take 2 cars like the mr2 and the gt4 in this instance with the same engine and put a skilled driver in each... the mr2 has to come out on top. :-k
RST

Post by RST »

its not but just feels a lot safer than the mr2..

...Really? Maybe it's a comfort thing but I'd rather fit in to my SW20 than my ex-ST205 any day.

The '205 has it on the corners but it's dead easy in comparison. You can go the whole hog on suspension but mine had a reasonable drop and mid range Whiteline ARB settings -it was just too easy as a "point and shoot machine" on the corners but I felt it was lacking on the straights somewhat -bit of a "gut" to carry. -Fairly heavy on the stock ST205 CT20 turbo whih was still excellent with a modified shaft etc.

...I went back to RWD but I just didn't like the 4x4 drive really -just prefer RWD for some reason.

I don't thik there's much between the ST205 and the SW20 but there is allot of media hype -the JDM ST205's are no different from the UK ones at the end of the day and the WRC models carry the badge in name only. Any CT20 or anything else carrying antgi-lag needs some serious mechaincs looking after each 50 miles on boost if it lasts that long hence they never enabled it on road ST205's, it's a turbo killer. I think on a good day the SW20 will have it though. Have not met such good drivers in the '205 as I have in the SW20 (GT4 drivers seem a bit lazy so that has allot to play for it).

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”