Rev 2 Turbo/Rev 3 Turbo wiring differences? How to convert Rev 2 to Rev 3 Turbo?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bluesmoke

Rev 2 Turbo/Rev 3 Turbo wiring differences? How to convert Rev 2 to Rev 3 Turbo?

Post by bluesmoke »

Hi guys,

Just wanting to find out how different the wiring is between a Rev 2 and Rev 3 Turbo? Is it easy enough to transplant the Rev 3 engine into the Rev 2? At which point do the wiring looms differ? Would you be able to plug the Rev 3 engine loom straight into the Rev 2 chassis loom, or would you have to rip the chassis loom out of the Rev 3 car and get that moved across?

Also, would any holes have to be drilled in the sides of the engine bay to mount any items that the Rev 2 doesn't have?

I want a Rev 3 Turbo T-Bar shell ideally but am having trouble finding one, so need to investigate the possibility of using a Rev 2 Tubby.
Last edited by bluesmoke on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: Rev 2 Turbo/Rev 3 Turbo wiring differences? How to convert Rev 2 to Rev 3 Turbo?

Post by toxo »

Quite a lot's different. The door looms are slightly different, the dashboard and instrument clusters are slightly different. The point at which they join in the passenger footwell are different and obviously due to the ECU differences and sensor differences the engine looms are very different.

Not insurmountable though, a bit of repinning here and there will sort it out.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
bluesmoke

Re: Rev 2 Turbo/Rev 3 Turbo wiring differences? How to convert Rev 2 to Rev 3 Turbo?

Post by bluesmoke »

Is it a massive task?

Would I be better off getting an N/A Rev 3 shell? I'd prefer to stick with a genuine tubby shell and am thinking I will have to go Rev 2 if I can't go Rev 3.

There's just none about. God knows I have tried to find one.

How feasible would it be to completely remove everything from the Rev 2 and put my Rev 3 dash/clocks and complete wiring loom into the car?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Well massive is relative isn't it - if you're already doing an engine swap then it's not a comparitively big task. You should approach it with electrical wiring diagrams for both source and destination cars and then you can't go wrong.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

True. But would it actually be an option to completely remove the wiring in the Rev 2 and replace it with the Rev 3, or would it be an insanely difficult task?

Reason I ask is because my Tubby got destroyed in an accident, and a reshell is really the only way forward for me. I'm just very reluctant to go from a genuine Tubby to a converted N/A.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

That would be an option but you'd need access to nearly all parts - the thing that springs to mind off the top of my head is that even the power steering units are different! So you really would need everything.
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Oh right, I didn't realise that.

As it turns out, I have just located a Rev 3 Turbo shell. It's not a T-Bar or the colour I wanted, but it may be a case of biting the bullet and just having it for the sake of making the job easier.

Just out of interest, is the power steering just a different part or does the operation differ between the two models?

It sounds like it may be a royal pain to use a Rev 2, but I'm going to be gutted not having a nice black, white, grey or blue tbar now this opportunity has presented itself.
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

i fitted a full rev 3 engine loom to my rev 2 engine no problems :thumleft:
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

tarmac terrorist wrote:i fitted a full rev 3 engine loom to my rev 2 engine no problems :thumleft:

Did everything on the dash work correctly etc?

Turns out the Rev 3 shell I thought I'd found is a Rev 2 :(
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

So can anyone tell me exactly what's involved in putting my crashed Rev 3 tubby into a Rev 2 tubby shell?
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

bluesmoke wrote:
tarmac terrorist wrote:i fitted a full rev 3 engine loom to my rev 2 engine no problems :thumleft:

Did everything on the dash work correctly etc?

Turns out the Rev 3 shell I thought I'd found is a Rev 2 :(

yep every thing works ok :thumleft:
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

REV3 engine in a REV2 is pretty easy.

You just need to either pin out the ECU or

easy way is to replace the REV2 passenger side wiring loom with a REV3 one. Making sure you get a TURBO one and not a N/A
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Well I have a complete Rev 3 Turbo on the drive, with a stoved in front end :(

I can literally take anything I need from it. It was my daily driver until the accident. Is it easy to mate up the chassis loom from the Rev 3 Tubby to the Rev 2 Tubby's electrics?

As for the PAS system, is it an inferior system on the Rev 2?
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

You got you life made very easy since you have that on your drive.

Whip out the engine & loom, passenger loom and will just plug and play :D
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

I agree with the above - assuming that you're using a revision 2+ chassis, swap out everything up to the passenger footwell.

There *should* be one other wiring change that you need to make if you go with a revision 2 chassis with regards to the power steering. This is because the interaction between the engine ECU and power steering differs from 1/2 to 3+. It's just a single wire that you'll need to snip.
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

OK, but I take it it's not that hard a job to do then?

Could you give any further detail on the wire I'd have to snip on the PAS? Is it simply a case of splicing one wire into another?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

bluesmoke wrote:OK, but I take it it's not that hard a job to do then?

It *should* be plug and play.

bluesmoke wrote:Could you give any further detail on the wire I'd have to snip on the PAS? Is it simply a case of splicing one wire into another?

Yes, but the simplest thing to do would be to do the conversion and see if your PAS is affected. If it is (and it should be) then drop me a line and I'll dig out the wiring diagram and work it out for you.

Cheers,

Patrick
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Edit: Patrick makes more sense than me #-o
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Could you give any further detail on the wire I'd have to snip on the PAS? Is it simply a case of splicing one wire into another?

No, not a hard job, just hard work :D

On a driveway i would allow 2 days and possible just rolling into the 3rd.

I have done these in a day but then i have had access to a ramp which makes life ALOT easier.

Never had any problems with the PAS on any of the conversions i have done...... yet
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

alanmr2turbo wrote:

No, not a hard job, just hard work :D

On a driveway i would allow 2 days and possible just rolling into the 3rd.

I have done these in a day but then i have had access to a ramp which makes life ALOT easier.

Never had any problems with the PAS on any of the conversions i have done...... yet

How come the PAS has worked just fine for you? What did you do with the wiring?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”