MK3 to V8 Conversion

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PaulM

MK3 to V8 Conversion

Post by PaulM »

TBH I've only just found this site :lol: as I ussualyy just hand aroundon TB, so I thought I'd post up my build thread, about 95% complete now , just doing some bracing for it, as can be seen in the bottom pics.
In standrd trim the engine ran at about 340hp, it now runs a DTA ecu with de cat and ferrari exhaust system so i'd expect a little more. With a SC 550 is the max I've heard of before going to forged rods.

Firstly I got hold of a fire damaged shell to see if it would work as a conversion, before cutting up a perfectly good Mk3.
So i started with this:

Engine and box out and theres a nice amount of space

Cutting through the Firewall locates engine position

For the engine to fit

Theres been a lot of custom parts to manufacture including the flywheel, CV joints, driveshafts, petrol tank, engine mounts, subframe, centre exhaust pipes as well as access panels and front subframe and etc etc.

The whole package fits in quite neatly, with the exhaust almost being made for to measure:

The modified driveshafts and CV joints

Making space for the gearbox was a tricky thing this is the start of the extra bracing to keep it all in the right place

Currently the subframe is located in two dimesions, X and Y, but I need to add bracing for the Z dimension to make it stable.

Roof still works and I'm putting in a viewing window, to look down through and ito the engine bay.

I think it'll be a great pie warmer back there, although I have just cladd the whole engine bay in reflective sound proofing to try add a little bit of civility.

PaulM

Re: MK3 to V8 Conversion

Post by PaulM »

Not much of an update, except to say I've had a breast plate machind to strengthen the bottom of the floorpan, this is going to be welded up into a full florpan brace, but the center section looks like this.

I've also found a small pinhole in the top of my tank that I'd made, so thats got to be taken out, dried out and re-sealed, which is a bit of pain, but rather find out now then later.
Most of the wiring is done now, the engine starts on the ignition key, along with fuel pump etc, just need to finish connecting the toyota ecu to the dta and then to the dashboard, which I'm doing piece by piece.

Due to bambino, not got a lot done although I have started the floorpan bracing in 6082 aluminium

I'm quite chuffed with my Ali welds, although its taking time to get the speed and penetration right ( please leave all the jokes at the door)

Nearly finished it this weekend

dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

mental :shock: :clap: whats the engine from?
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

dansREV2turbo wrote:mental :shock: :clap: whats the engine from?

Oh forgot to say its an Audi 4.2 litre S8 engine, the engine has a couple of extra tweeks for the higher rpm limit over the standard 4.2.
PPS
if anyone would like a breast plate or floorpan brace making up let me know.
michael

Post by michael »

Great project, I'm looking forward to reading more when the updates come - love the idea of the window just to look at the engine too :thumleft:
phipck

Post by phipck »

absolutely mental, great work there chap, im going to keep my eyes on this one :thumleft:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Impressive bit of engineering!
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

looking forward to the finished article :thumleft:
excalibur1814

Wow!

Post by excalibur1814 »

Cute dog in the photo there.

Be interesting to know the final cost and all that or even a mild breakdown.

If its one thing that hurts about the Mk3, it's the standard speed (Heck, it's fine but i changed over from a Mk2 turbo)
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Its about £3.5K to £4.5K of parts and whole lot of time, although if I did another it'd be a lot faster, as I know all the pit falls now :D
1000 PR

Post by 1000 PR »

So a 10 grand bargain pocket-rocket then! and seemingly well-engineered. I guess you may need up-rating the brakes! Looking forward to the final version. Great work!
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Yeah brakes are going to be interesting I've upgraded the pads and discs to ebc grooved and drilled with better pads. These will be my benchmark for testing, the brakes on the mk3 are very good to start, so with the upgrade, they'll be fairly close.
Although I do have the original S8 brakes which are again grooved and drilled with yellow stuff pads and at 355mm reasonably big, but I think these will probably over the brake the car, which is nearly as tiresome as it being underbraked, but as always with this project it'll be a suck it and see.
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Got the floorpan brace finished and fitted today

Slarty

Post by Slarty »

tonigmr2 wrote:Impressive bit of engineering!

That, plus a whole lot more.

Very impressive, absolute hats off to you :)
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Cheers guys, is not been that tricky, jjust time consuming to make sure everything is thought through.
Plus i bought a fire damaged shell first to see if it would really work before going ahead with cutting into a good car
fearless

Post by fearless »

what a beast thats going to be when finished top man. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
phoenixtat

Post by phoenixtat »

Insane conversion - well done. :clap:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It's ok i suppose :D

Paul the Rs4 clutch sorted my issues mate :thumleft:
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Got the front end finished today and tidied up, so its nice to see sections of the car being completed.

matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

How will this affect the weight distrubution between front and rear?

Is this all being done at home in your own garage?

Even if it's not, hats off for the effort :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”