Building my track car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bri0905

Building my track car.

Post by bri0905 »

Hello,

I've owned this rev3 turbo for a couple of years now. I've always fancied a go at motorsport since i was a kid, but have never had the funds as i have a 4 year old daughter. Finally as my 30th approaches i've made the decision to turn the car into a race car and probably spend this year doing trackdays and some sprints and hillclimbs to get it all set up and give me some time to really get a feel for the car.

Yesterday i collected my rollcage seats and uprated arb's from nathan freke. Harnesses and a few other little bits are on order awaiting delivery so the process starts now. I will be getting the car weighed before i remove anything so i can see what i've removed in the end.

I had the air con system emptied of gas today in prep for it to be removed.

I'll be doing all the work myself apart from the welding of the feet for the cage as i want them to be done well and my welding is still in beginner stage if i'm honest.

Anyway here's some pics of what i'm starting with.

And here's what i collected from nathan yesterday.

Can't decide if i should remove or cut the dash to fit the cage... I'm taking it out to remove some of the weight that's in behind it i guess i'll decide once i see it out. Also will be selling all the trim so look out in the for sale section if you need or want any bits.
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
ashley

Re: Building my track car.

Post by ashley »

Excellent plan- you're going to have a ball dude! I look forwards to seeing what you do to it :thumleft:
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

cheers, i really can't wait to get going on it now.
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

Just an update on my progress.

Spent a few hours on monday last week and got all the trim out bar the dash. Fitted the drivers bucket to keep the car movable.

96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

Then today i had a few hours spare so i got the rest of the dash out, now looks like this.

Then i started making my gauge/switch panel from an a4 sheet of carbon fibre i bought ages ago. It's just to mock up wiring as ideally i want it slightly wider so i know the gauges are running out of line slightly.

Close up of my new stack water temp and oil pressure gauge. I'm waiting on oil temp and boost to keep them matching :roll:

96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

Also today, after a thread on here about short shifters, i tried what some people were saying may be possible to reduce the throw on the shifer. I removed the nut holding the cable on to the rear of the existing shifter and with the cable out the way i drilled a new 8mm hole above the original and refixed the cable. By my rough measurements the throw has reduced by about 5-6mm and is noticeably shorter. If i want more i think i'll have to cut the tab off and re-weld it higher up the shifter.

Also the original hole has a square recess one side which the cable locks into, so it still has some work before it's perfect but i think it's worthwhile and until i feel a trd or b&m shifter i think it's enough.

I'll put some pics up tomorrow.
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

bri0905 wrote:Also today, after a thread on here about short shifters, i tried what some people were saying may be possible to reduce the throw on the shifer.

If you're building this for race use then the best piece of advice I can offer you is to develop the car. Get the basics sorted out - stripped, roll cage, seat, harness, cut-off, rain light, brakes, suspension and tyres. Then get out on the track and see how it feels - modify the bits that aren't perfectly suited to you. You can spend a lot of money carrying out what are perceived to be the must-have modifications only to find you don't get on with them!

Are you planning to race in the MR2 Super GT series?
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

Thanks for the input patrick.

I'm hoping to enter the gt series next year, I don't think I'll be ready this year.

I'm hoping to possibly do some of the sprint series as a reserve just to get some time in the car.

Also I know a short shifter is not essentialn but I'm waiting for my harnesses and carbon door cards to arrive and for my friend with a
Welder to fit me in to do the cage.
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

What was the weight of the car mate before you started pulling it apart??

You going to get a better intercooler / charge cooler as your goign on track??

Looks good though mate :thumleft:

Carbotecs get my vote 8) no more brake fade!!!

Also r888's make such a huge difference!!!! :twisted:

My car was pretty much matched against my mates scooby type r and tuned st 2.5 then i did r888s + carbotecs and i battered them both :twisted: That was with stock ct20b and a chargecooler @ 1.2bar.....

i then went on to the td06 bigger injectors and not much could stick with me on track :twisted:

Im now on forged pistons + bigger turbo.............just running it in at the mo. 400+ on track is what im after.....not sure if my skills r up 2 the job though lol
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

I have an xs power intercooler fitted but i think i'll go for a charge cooler later in the year. Starting weight was 1240kg with 1/4 tank of fuel. I'm not after mega power just want it to handle as well as possible really. On my last track day at llandow i spent about 8 laps chasing a 600hp r33 gts skyline, he only pulled away slightly up the short straight and i was up his ar$e through the bends, so even with limited power i can have lots of fun if i go to the right tracks.

Untill i get bored and go all out that is.... :evil:
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

I have been making the slowest progress in the history of car builds!

Partially down to being busy with work and also to lack of funding :(

But some things have changed.

New lighter wheels purchased and got some hankook tyres for them at a silly cheap price. Apparently they are a track tyre but we'll see when i finally get it out again.

I have wired in most of the switches now, one for the electric windows, one for the power steering and am currently trying to figure out the wiring on the abs/trc system. I'd like to have both individually switchable but i'm not sure it's an option?? If not i will have one switch that turns both abs/trc on or off. Also got the rain light mounted and wired.

Got bought a gift by my other half in the form of some vinyl graphics, i think she made a good choice, colour scheme was always gonna be black, purple and steel mist grey. Also added a few other stickers i had been given when buying a few things.

Next up is the big decision, i have removed and sold the xs power intercooler, and was planning on fitting a 205 celica charge cooler but that purchase ended badly so am now without any cooling.

I can't decide between an bay charge cooler core with a slim aluminium rad under the boot floor, or bite the bullet and go for the radtech from rogue?? :-k

Third option which is cheaper is to go for an intercooler mounted also under the boot floor, what worries me with this is will the std turbo struggle to fill the added pipework quickly, don't want to increase lag too much. but with it being the cheapest i could get a bigger turbo also, but which one??

Lot's of thinking to be done.

Here's some pics of how it looks at the minute.

Some new suspension is also on the agenda for the not too distant future, but that will depend on what route i go with the charge/intercooler.
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

I was lucky enough to see this car on Friday and its really comeing along nicely - its a well thought out track car with loads of potential - keep on with the development Bri :thumleft:
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

I have the radtech kit and its really good. You going to come to any TSS rounds this year?
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

If not to compete deffo to spectate. Will no doubt get my ass in gear by watching others have fun!
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
loz w

Post by loz w »

looking foward to seing this progress :thumleft:
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

bri0905 wrote:
Some new suspension is also on the agenda for the not too distant future, but that will depend on what route i go with the charge/intercooler.

If you plan on racing the GT's you need a certain suspension type/make so research first before buying :thumleft:
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

Thanks guys, it's slowly getting there.

Refitted the dash today and cut it around the cage. Looks miles better with it back in and doesn't really weigh that much so will leave it in now, at least till i get it flocked.
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
Moo

Post by Moo »

Like the graphics, especially the pi$$ take Intel Inside sticker although I can't quite make out what the first bit says.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Theres some pics here of the inside of the JGTC GT300 race car - might give you a few ideas

http://trd2000gt.forumotion.com/t123-gt ... nal-photos
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

Suspension will be BC racing rm inverted if i go for super gt.

The sticker says 3sgte inside!

Great pics of the touring car jeff! :clap:
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!

Return to “Project Cars”