Might be looking to buy this tuned rev3 tubby (ADVICE PLEASE)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

karldavies

Might be looking to buy this tuned rev3 tubby (ADVICE PLEASE)

Post by karldavies »

I've seen this car for sale...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MR2-turbo-400bhp- ... 35a6047115

Xxxx is selling it. I must say he is a nice chap and seems very knowledgable on the phone. Was willing to spend a lot of time running me through things. I actually got a CT20b off him last year and again was very helpful.

He is planning on replacing the boost controller with a PowerFC, fit a boot mounted intercooler and replace the turbo, plus a few other smaller things to the engine.
He won't be putting a turbo on until he knows what i want to do with it. (as long as i decide to go for it)

My plan is use it as a track car with occasional road use. I'm thinking about the GT3076 .62 . As far as I am aware this will get me around 500bhp with minimal lag. Does this sound like the ideal one for my needs or would the GT3071 be more suited. I dont really want massive top end, but instead good spool up and quick response from the turbo.

I think 500bhp would be the figure I would aim for.

The car is going to cost £7k with the above mods,remapping, plus the exisiting stuff on the car.

What do you think

Thanks for the help,

Cheers

Karl
nikaiyo

Re: Might be looking to buy this tuned rev3 tubby (ADVICE PLEASE)

Post by nikaiyo »

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=128810

He is barred from IMOC for lying....

He bought a car from a memeber on here with a knackered engine, then sold it on without disclosing the foobared engine to another guy on pistonheads, it was all on here.... but i think the thread has been removed :(
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Not only that but he admits to photoshopping photos of cars that he has for sale to appeal to more buyers! Have you actually seen the car 'in the flesh'?

I'd have a couple of serious questions about that car (regardless of the seller):

1) If it's had a "Full Profesional Respary in Red" why does it look like it's faded to hell in the photos?

2) If it's had a forged build in the past (description says forged pistons) then what has happened to it in the last 3 weeks that means it needed new bearings and piston rings? If they had failed then the crank and block would have needed inspecting etc. It doesn't say forged build in the last 3 weeks, just bearings and rings.

3) Ad claims that it comes with £20k of history, regular oil changes etc etc, yet it also claims it's done 126,000 k and 'will come converted to mph'. That, coupled with the fact that it's MOT'd and taxed til next year suggests to me that it's a fresh import as there hasn't been a lot of this year yet. Has he really translated and currency converted the entire Japanese service history, down to what make of oil they were using?

Make sure the seats aren't welded in :thumleft:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

I looked at buying this too.
To be honest I emailed an enquiry asking for further details and decided it was too big a risk based on the owners 'history'
Do your research and make your own decision, there's more than a couple of horror stories out there.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=128810

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ght=Xxxx

:thumbdown:
karldavies

Post by karldavies »

Thanks for the replies guys, i was unaware of all of this. I came on asking what turbo to get and all the replies are about things not adding up, lies etc.

As much of a nice guy he sounds on the phone I think I will leave it. Its a lot of money to spend and I dont want to regret it later on. You have already prooved with yours that things weren't as they seem.

I'll continue looking....

Cheers lads :)
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Why's it got 5-spoke alloys in some pic's but the close-up shows a 7-spoke alloy?

Also, the cabin pics show a honking great tacho on the dash which doesn't seem to be visible from the exterior shots.

Personally, I wouldn't buy *any* high-horsepower car unless it was from a known seller.
I'd rather build it myself so I know it's done right.

Any muppet can wind up the boost, stick a few shiny hoses in the engine bay and get the car running long enough to take your money.
Signori

Post by Signori »

*edit* delete please
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

Just to let people know i have seen this car in the flesh and it has had a full paint job and look mint. The fact the pics are crap are probably down to his crappy camers/mobile pics.

It has 2 sets of wheels that are being offered with the car as well as the upgraded brakes which i think he is using from another car -Probably not had them taken off in time hence the shot of 2 different types of alliys..

The cars not a fresh import and has been here a number of years.

Any muppet can wind up the boost, stick a few shiny hoses in the engine bay and get the car running long enough to take your money.

You clearly do not know Xxxx's capabilities and his way around MR2's.. I have seen him build some impressive engines. Not to mention his own drag car.
To the originl OP if you are interested in it go view it and make your own mind up about the car / seller.

Anyway goodluck.

Rash
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I'll belive a car makes 400hp with a hybrid ct20 when i see it.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Rash wrote:You clearly do not know Xxxx's capabilities and his way around MR2's.. I have seen him build some impressive engines. Not to mention his own drag car.

wouldn't be the one he claimed would do a 10 sec quarter mile with stock internals would it lol!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

to the OP, i'd avoid this like the plague mate, the car might be the best one you'll ever see but i would take a chance on the guy who is selling it :thumleft:
greeny

Post by greeny »

I replied to your wanted thread chap :thumleft:
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Signori

Post by Signori »

Rash wrote:Just to let people know i have seen this car in the flesh and it has had a full paint job and look mint. The fact the pics are crap are probably down to his crappy camers/mobile pics.

It has 2 sets of wheels that are being offered with the car as well as the upgraded brakes which i think he is using from another car -Probably not had them taken off in time hence the shot of 2 different types of alliys..

You clearly do not know Xxxx's capabilities and his way around MR2's.. I have seen him build some impressive engines. Not to mention his own drag car.
To the originl OP if you are interested in it go view it and make your own mind up about the car / seller.

Anyway goodluck.

Rash

Agree with everything said here, ive seen this car as well, yesterday in fact. Its a stunning car is amazing condition.
Xxxx does the work on my car are never had a problem, hes a nice guy willing to explain anything you'd like to know.
To the people saying to avoid him have any of you actually used or met him? or do you all just make decisions based on what you read from forum kids?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Signori wrote:
Rash wrote:Just to let people know i have seen this car in the flesh and it has had a full paint job and look mint. The fact the pics are crap are probably down to his crappy camers/mobile pics.

Anyway goodluck.

Rash

Agree with everything said here, ive seen this car as well, yesterday in fact. Its a stunning car is amazing condition.
Xxxx does the work on my car are never had a problem, hes a nice guy willing to explain anything you'd like to know.
To the people saying to avoid him have any of you actually used or met him? or do you all just make decisions based on what you read from forum kids?

he got banned for a reason mate.
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

who made the " Custom" forges pistons? was this not the car he claimed could make 500 bhp on stock internals? or he was trying to build high HP cars on stock internals.

I think this advert was on pistonheads a little while ago, saying on piston ring 3 was replaced, that car has been in the country for quite some time..its not a fresh import

I am very wary of him, due to his past actions on the forums
karldavies

Post by karldavies »

Wow, loads of replies !

I am only an hour away so I wonder if its worth going to look at it either way. I can then see first hand the condition of the car.

Just out of interest, with the additional mods I explained in the origonal post, would £7k be a fair price for that set up? .... regardelss of who was selling it ?

I'll have a look at my wanted thread too.

Cheers
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

sheppy wrote:

wouldn't be the one he claimed would do a 10 sec quarter mile with stock internals would it lol!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He posted up a fake time slips from the strip :lol: #-o ](*,) :tumbleweed:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

what a tosspot!!!

seems a bit childish!!!
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

I have never had a problem with Xxxx, I have bought things off him and they arrived next day special delivery always as described AND at stupidly low prices!!

Xxxx has even sent me things for free (eg bov's, turbo pipes etc) you dont get that very often !!!

Also I know someone that bought a 800hp or so engine etc off him (again at a stupidly low price!!) and he was happy with it all.

I would go and view it and take it for a test drive etc. Also join that other site that we are not allowed to talk about on here as he is an active member on their so you can ask him some more questions etc
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:I have never had a problem with Xxxx, I have bought things off him and they arrived next day special delivery always as described AND at stupidly low prices!!

Xxxx has even sent me things for free (eg bov's, turbo pipes etc) you dont get that very often !!!

Also I know someone that bought a 800hp or so engine etc off him (again at a stupidly low price!!) and he was happy with it all.

I would go and view it and take it for a test drive etc. Also join that other site that we are not allowed to talk about on here as he is an active member on their so you can ask him some more questions etc

Same here, I have dealt with Xxxx several times and always had a good experience :thumleft:

Why cant you do a 10 second pass on a stock internal engine? You just need to fit a bigger turbo and supporting mods, fit slicks and get a good run. I reckon it could be done. :-k
monkeyminger

Post by monkeyminger »

Just unbelievable if you havn't met the guy shut up
Any 1 can hear things off other people.i have actually met him, spoke to him and dealt with him and found him to be a wealth of knowledge and very pleasent.
i find the british court's are more lenient than this forum and that saying something :-#

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”