Air filter or Induction Kit?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

trd2000mr2

Air filter or Induction Kit?

Post by trd2000mr2 »

Hi all, I have a Mk II N/A and am looking to get a few performance upgrades. First, a dual exit exhaust (any suggestions??) and then either an induction kit or air filter. I was told that theres no point in getting an induction kit seeing as its an N/A and that it may even lose power due to some reason or other! However Ive seen a few people put induction kits on theirs so would like to know whats actually better for my N/A, air filter or induction kit?
Jon S

Re: Air filter or Induction Kit?

Post by Jon S »

Induction kit sounds better :D
waelwulfas

Post by waelwulfas »

Personally I settled for a K&N panel into the original system. Unlike a front engined car we don't benefit from forced cold air filling the engine bay through the grille so an induction kit will draw hot stale air. The factory system draws cold air from the side vent and is designed to maximise low end torque. It's Toyota's million pound research versus 1950's thinking!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Induction kit does sound better, air box good for temps a bit cooler.
Toyota had to think about noise when they put the filter in an air box, which does make a big difference, go for it chuck an induction kit on it!
craig

Post by craig »

Apexi Induction kit!! 8)
craig

Post by craig »

waelwulfas wrote:so an induction kit will draw hot stale air.

My Apexi sits right above the intake, no hot stale air here fella :P
waelwulfas

Post by waelwulfas »

Aaah now you're cheating, don't the tubbies draw from the o/s and route he air through a longer system over the heat of the engine. Also you're compressing your air; the n/a's need as as much forced intake as they can get.
craig

Post by craig »

[quote="waelwulfas"]don't the tubbies draw from the o/s and route he air through a longer system over the heat of the engine. quote]

WTF!?!?! :roll:

no way dude, my Apex sits right above the n/s intake!!!!! as on all MR2's the air intake is above the n/s intake.

My intercooler is above the o/s :shock:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

If you want a really nice sound, stick a cone filter such as Apexi/K&N as close to the throttle body as possible. It may lose a couple of horses but it will sound fantastic.

Or stick a panel filter in it will be quiet and will make very little difference to bhp.

Other option is to stick a cone filter near a cold air source, this is what most opt to do as you sort of get the best of both worlds, ie cool inlet charge and a reasonably good flow rate.

On my car i've simply put a K&N straight on the throttle body. Its not great for inlet temps but the sound is stunning when the TVIS opens.

The choice is yours.
Cliff

Induction kit

Post by Cliff »

Although the air filter will produce a better noise from the engine, I would have thought the car would suffer from heat soak as the MR2 is mid engined.

Unless you buy an open cone filter with an air intake pipe and heat shield and feed the pipe down to one of the side air vents, such as the piper cross viper for example, (not too sure if they have one designed for the MR2), which will allow the air filter to perform better as cold air will be fed towards the filter, but will still not be as good as an induction kit.
trd2000mr2

Post by trd2000mr2 »

I know im not gonna get any major improvements in bhp jus by fitting an exhaust and an air filter. What i want really is improved breathing and response in the low revs. Ive heard that induction kits will help in the high end but maybe wont benefit the low end response. From what ive read here, a filter thats positioned near the side vents to force cold air in sounds pretty good??

Any recommendations for good makes?
stevel

Post by stevel »

RedMR²
My Apexi sits right above the intake

How have you rigged that up, have you discarded the brackets that come with it?
craig

Post by craig »

I have an AFM on my car so it pushes the filter above the intake.

Craig 8)
Last edited by craig on Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Post by craig »

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Induction kit

Post by Lauren »

IICause_OneII wrote:Although the air filter will produce a better noise from the engine, I would have thought the car would suffer from heat soak as the MR2 is mid engined.

yep of course it will to some extent, but like i say if it loses 2-3bhp i'm not overly bothered because it sounds so good. :) I did mention this ;)
Cliff

Induction Kit

Post by Cliff »

Hi Lauren,

My post wasn't directed to you, but directed to the first post made by trd2000mr2.

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was having a go at you or something!! :oops:. (But I wasn't)

Return to “Modifications”