ST205 CC

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nutter

ST205 CC

Post by nutter »

Hi all,

How much does it cost to get all the components needed to fit the above CC onto a rev2?? I was thinking about getting a pace CC but i'm interested by the fact that the st one shortens the pipe work?? I'm also concerned with the recent rumours that the pace on may not be able to flow over 1.2bar??

Any comments welcome!
Jimbob

Re: ST205 CC

Post by Jimbob »

Your looking at £250 for a second hand kit.

1.2 bar? Not sure how good the st205 one is can't be much more than that? Dunno try the GT4OC
Attila

Post by Attila »

I think that is bull$h1t :)
You need a properly sized (largest possible) water cooler on the front, hoses from front to back, a water reservior, and a big pump.
Acording to my calculation you need 8 to 10liters of water mixed whit water wetter for best operation!
You will have to fab a BOV on it, and try to use as much heat shielding underneath is as musch as you can.

The other option is a good sidemount and water injection, you can also use the water injections pump to spray water to the IC :lol:
Attila

Post by Attila »

The problem whit the stock unit on ST185RC and St205 is:

1. it gets heat soaked, because the stock pump stops whan you idle.
2. there is not enough water in the system and the water cooler is too small. Once your water gets hot, is can't really cool down anymore.

Toyota used this very same cooler in the desert...but they had about 6x the times of the water cooler :shock:

Many ppl tried to use oil coolers to cool water, they are too small and not designed to flow water, forget it. You need a full sizes LARGE water cooler in the front. And if you want to go to the track or drag race it, you can even drop some ice to the water tank, and your intake air will be cooler then the air outside! No air to air cooler can offer that, ever!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Unless u have a n2o or co2 spray on the intercooler then it could.

The stock pre-rad on the st05 is not that big, I have a st165 cc and pre-rad the pre-rad is about 12"x12"x1".

True what tilus says the bigger the pre-rad the better really. As a rule of thumb you want around 20l/min of water. Probably the easiest way to do this is to use a shurflo pump, only trouble is you'll have to run slightly higher water pressures (around 1bar). Alternatively buy a st205 second hand kit.

As for the reservoir, Idont see a huge one being an advantage for everyday use. As the water in the system heats up the water will find a natural operating temperature dependant on the size of the pre-rad and its rate of heat transfer to the open air. This will be dependant on environmental conditions as well as the pump speed, layout of fins etc.
Once you reach your given temperature ALL the water remains at this temperature. Its safe to assume that the heat loss from the reservoir is minimal compared to the pre-rad so its size will not really aid cooling. Therfore the reservoir serves no real cooling benefit. However that said it will take longer for the water to heat up using a large reservoir. This could be beneficial for the odd drag run. Keeping the water as cool as possible until the actual run.

You could also add a h20/co2 spray on the pre-rad for added benefits.

The st205 kit comes with a pump that is throttle dependant to elleviate heat soak in traffic. This can be wired in on a bespoke system though by simply tapping into the throttle position sensor, and using its output voltages.

PWR do a nice cc kit which should see around 300hp, theres loads of stuff to choose from so keep your eyes peeled and grab a bargain.

James
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Once you reach your given temperature ALL the water remains at this temperature

sorry unless you go faster and get more air flow etc or the air turns cooler?
nutter

Post by nutter »

I will be looking at running around 300RWHP with mods i currently have. Can you not configure the st205 CC to run all the time? or is it not worth it?
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

[quote="Jimbob"]Your looking at £250 for a second hand kit.

1.2 bar? Not sure how good the st205 one is can't be much more than that? Dunno try the GT4OC[/quote

In terms of flow and pressure drop, from my calculations, the ST205CC should be WAY better!

I'm just putting the finishing touches to my ST205CC install, and I'll be logging both coolant and air temps, before and after the CC, so no one will be able to dispute the results. I'm also running a minimum of 1.5bar.

When I'm done, I'll write a list of things I did and parts needed. It's all fully documented with pictures, too.
Fizzy

Post by Fizzy »

Ive had mine running non stop for over a year now....original rad boot mounted, two whackin fans, although you only need one, and a pump from a caravan. And does it stay cold - you bet it does, stone cold! And it has no problem with 1.4 bar. Ive removed the swirl pot cos you dont need it - and ive removed the water resavoir cos you dont need that either. The porrf of the pudding is sitting in the drive...as they say! I piped mine up with half inch copper then lagged it - nightmare job but brilliant once finished.
nutter

Post by nutter »

hmm sounds good. Wheres the best place to get everything i need?
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

the problem I am looking is the pump , more of the charge cooler pump dont last long if use constantly
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

SFLee wrote:the problem I am looking is the pump , more of the charge cooler pump dont last long if use constantly

get a heavy duty continous rated pump, ie a marine pump as they are 12V operation and run for hours on end on boats.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

MR2Mania wrote:
Jimbob wrote:Your looking at £250 for a second hand kit.

1.2 bar? Not sure how good the st205 one is can't be much more than that? Dunno try the GT4OC[/quote

In terms of flow and pressure drop, from my calculations, the ST205CC should be WAY better!

I'm just putting the finishing touches to my ST205CC install, and I'll be logging both coolant and air temps, before and after the CC, so no one will be able to dispute the results. I'm also running a minimum of 1.5bar.

When I'm done, I'll write a list of things I did and parts needed. It's all fully documented with pictures, too.

can't wait for this to happen. I'm fed up with the side mount brigade banging on about air to air cooling. Jonno when he got his pace chargecooler got 40BHP more at 1k rpm lower AND lower intake temps. In fact Owens were quoted as saying it was the best temp controlled car they had ever seen, bar none.

The air to air brigade don't mention that much, oddly enough ;)
nutter

Post by nutter »

also what fab work will be needed to fit this to my rev2??
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

nutter wrote:also what fab work will be needed to fit this to my rev2??

you'll need the throttle body adaptor from the celica
some flexi pipe from the turbo to the c/c
radiator from the cinquento
as discussed 12V water pump

loads of pipework to pump the radiator to the c/c and pump

I'm sure there is other stuff too but PM mike edwards as he has done this on his rev1
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

SFLee wrote:the problem I am looking is the pump , more of the charge cooler pump dont last long if use constantly

I'm using the stock st205 pump and mine has been wired up to run continuously for 14 months now with no problems so far. It's used every day too.

As for temp control, as i've said all along, i can thrash it about for ages on a really hot day, get out and put my hand on the CC and it's always cold. 9 runs down the pod in june proved it doesn't heat soak as my 8th run was my quickest and i didn't turn the car off between runs either. As allan said really, all you need is pipe, the celica throttle body isn't essential, but it does make it a neater job, a pump of some sort and the cinquecento rad. It doesn't have to be this rad, you might find something that fits better, but after god know how much research, this is the one i found to fit the requirements best without resorting to a custom one.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
Attila

Post by Attila »

I was thinking about a costum rad.
Do you have some pics of the fial radiator out of the car and in the car? Dimensions?
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Afraid not, but it's about as close a fit as you're going to get off the shelf.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
nutter

Post by nutter »

mark,

Did you have to fab up brackets to hold it in? What diameter piping did you use to run from the pre-red to the chargecooler?

thanks
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Yes, just a few strips of metal in the right places to hold it in. I used 1" clear pvc pipe, smaller would be easier if you still have the aircon though as i've removed mine and the pipes now run where the ac pipes used to be.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs

Return to “Modifications”