What have I done to my car? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kanulondon

What have I done to my car? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Post by kanulondon »

Hello All,

Right let me just give you some background here....since i've last posted I have fitted a used Bailey BOV(last week and the car has been driving fine...nice noise etc..)

Please refer to this post......I fitted it with the standard BOV still connected

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

and I have added some Octane booster to a nice full tank of optimax(done on tuesday...haven't really driven the car hard until this morning)

Anyway so I am driving around Edinburgh this sunny afternoon and I let the engine reach a decent temp(I was driving slowly for about 20 minutes)....I eventually get to an A-Road and I floor it to the speed limit

1st gear - Nice acceleration, small dump valve noise (normal)

2nd Gear - Nice acceleration, large dump valve noise (normal)

3rd Gear - Good acceleration...boost gauge(stock) shows full boosting....but no noise from dump. I really put my foot down. More so then I have done all week

4th Gear - NO noise from dump...lack lustre acceleration....I %hit myself

I drove it slowly back to my flat and on the way the engine cut out on me once at the lights. The car seems to be idling VERY lumpy. It alsmost sounded like I had a whole in my exhaust. The engine was just not ticking over right. When I hesistantly tried accelerating the car did so...but with no va va voom. No dump valve noise at all....and the boost gauge didn't move once. I pulled the car over and took a look under the bonnet, Everything seemed in place. I did however notice a SPATTERING OF OIL coming out of the Bailey Dump Valve....hmmm

Now what do you think I have done to my engine?

I haven't taken it in yet as I want to problemshoot myself first....

- Could it be the full tank of petrol with this Octane Booster stuff? This is the first time I have used it since owning the car

- Could it be the Bailey's BOV is at fault? And perhaps it's somehow 'stuck open'? Therefore I am losing all boost pressure? If so why is my car idling so lumpy?? Is the affecting the Air/Fuel Mix?

- Anything else???

I would really like your feedback...I am a newbie in dire straight!

One thing I could easily do is remove the BOV and reconnect the standard BOV....but I will wait to see what you lot think?

Lastly could I have done SOMETHING REALLY REALLY BAD? That's going to cost me a fortune?

Thanks in advance

KL
:-k
Dangerous

Re: What have I done to my car? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Post by Dangerous »

I did something like this when I first had my 2, Try Resetting the ecu as you may of hit fuel cut..... :-k

(disconnect the battery for 10 mins then go for a good thrap :wink: )

P.s make sure your engines warmed up first......... :roll: :-s
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Switch BOV's and test it would be the first thing :wink: go do it now!
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

its the baileys mate - not the best, and as yours is a rev1 you shouldnt really be venting to atmosphere anyway - take it of - everything will be fine :wink:
BLOODUK

Post by BLOODUK »

quigonjay wrote:its the baileys mate - not the best, and as yours is a rev1 you shouldnt really be venting to atmosphere anyway - take it of - everything will be fine :wink:

Agreed, even with hks SSQ i had problems... Recirced that and the car
is amazing, loving hearing the Bangs or pops from the exhaust on
full rpm range :P
kanulondon

Post by kanulondon »

Thanks for the quick response guys

I think I will try and re-attach the stock bov

I also submitted a post here

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic ... tml#143549

Some guys are saying that there is an issue with BOV's and Rev1's/2's

Is this true? Can anyone confirm??

Could it be anything else?
BLOODUK

Post by BLOODUK »

kanulondon wrote:
Some guys are saying that there is an issue with BOV's and Rev1's/2's

I just said there is read above you...

or if im not good enough :oops:

http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/bov.htm
:mrgreen:
kanulondon

Post by kanulondon »

BLOODUK wrote:
quigonjay wrote:its the baileys mate - not the best, and as yours is a rev1 you shouldnt really be venting to atmosphere anyway - take it of - everything will be fine :wink:

Agreed, even with hks SSQ i had problems... Recirced that and the car
is amazing, loving hearing the Bangs or pops from the exhaust on
full rpm range :P

So did you take off the BOV or what?

Do you guys agree that it's just best for me to take of the Bailey's Unit?

KL
BLOODUK

Post by BLOODUK »

kanulondon wrote:
So did you take off the BOV or what?

Do you guys agree that it's just best for me to take of the Bailey's Unit?

KL

Nope after using the oem and the hks ssq recirc, the hks ssq with recirc
is really nice for me... it looks Blong as lauren says that word, and the
car loves it :lol:
kanulondon

Post by kanulondon »

**UPDATE**

OK I have completely removed the Baileys BOV and hooked everything back up as it was....

I let the car warm up...driving for about 10 mins (30mph max)....tried to accelerating up to 50mph. The car did so BUT THERE WAS NO TURBO SPOOL.....

The car idles better but still doesn't sound quite right....just a bit 'too' noisy along with associated vibrations.

On another forum someone mentioned that the I should reset the ECU? And I should also check for the wastegate being stuck open....

1. How do I reset the ECU?

2. How do I check for the wastegate being stuck open?

I am really quite worried now....

what a way to spend one's saturday evening

KL
stevel

Post by stevel »

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5709
For your ecu reset.
Personally i just disconnect the battery for 5 mins
kanulondon

Post by kanulondon »

OK have done the reset(thanks steve)

But still no turbo boost

Any other ideas people please?

KL
kanulondon

Post by kanulondon »

^^BUMP^^
kanulondon

Post by kanulondon »

Anymore for anymore?

KL
FonZe

Post by FonZe »

Can of worms, Had a baileys DV on my rev one for over a year no problems. Sounds to me that it could be a number of things. A bit of ouil on the DV is the norm. Low idling could be a colapsed cat. No va va voom or dump could indiacte a fecked turbo or it could be both. or neither. its a few things to check though fella.
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

Have you checked the condition of your turbo?

Sounds like its passing oil through the bearings (hence the oil out of the DV). Take off the intake hoses (on the turbo to the AFM) and have a look at the turbo. Excessively oily etc etc. Is there any play in the shaft? There should be a minimal amount of play, does the turbine wheel spin freely? etc.

Check these and if everything is ok in the turbo it sounds like theres probably a boost leak somewhere.
kanulondon

Post by kanulondon »

Dave Goodhand wrote:Have you checked the condition of your turbo?

Sounds like its passing oil through the bearings (hence the oil out of the DV). Take off the intake hoses (on the turbo to the AFM) and have a look at the turbo. Excessively oily etc etc. Is there any play in the shaft? There should be a minimal amount of play, does the turbine wheel spin freely? etc.

Check these and if everything is ok in the turbo it sounds like theres probably a boost leak somewhere.

Thanks Dave.....cars in the garage but I'll make sure they run through all of these procedures firstly

Thanks

KL
kanulondon

Post by kanulondon »

Just an update guys

Looks like my Turbo shaft has broken

Look for my new post asking about this!
kanulondon

Post by kanulondon »

Well I finally got my car back guys and what a bloody palava fuelled Drama!

Basically....Turbo Went

Bought a used CT26(£150)

Took it to a local garage to fix it.

Local Garage were a bunch of monkeys and I had to instruct them on what to do. They kept my car for 2 weeks
and charged me £300 for the pleasure (To be fair impeller wheel had smashed into teeny bits and the guy had to remove exhaust and cat)

Got the car back and it was like an old dog! The mechanic funked up my idling and the car stalled for fun

So much so that I had an embarassing moment at a set on traffic lights on a hot sunny day! Car failed to start and had to be towed!! :(

Gave up and went to Mr T (Western Toyota, Edinburgh) instead of taking it back to Bodgit&Scarper Mechanics

They sourced the problem as a dodgy Timing Belt....£200 to fix it. And the car started a treat

Also had a full service and compression check.....the car is NOW running like a dream. Idles properly, accleration is lovely
purrs like a cat

So the moral of the story is? I don't know...you tell me

All I know is that I am £900 lighter and can't afford to go on a summer holiday :(

Oh well...at least I have my '2'

And hear the story ends....thanks for everyone's help

KL

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”