Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

willies

Just found probable oil leak.

Post by willies »

Jacked the car up to find the slave clutch cylinder, only to spot this:

http://www.kingside.co.uk/mr2/dsc00967.jpg

:(

I don't know anything about cars....but this looks baaaaaad.
couldnt_think_of_a_name

Re: Just found probable oil leak.

Post by couldnt_think_of_a_name »

Get the degreaser out and clean it first. then you can start fretting !!! lol.. shouldnt be anything that cant be fixed.

get it cleaned and take more pics :D

J
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

It culd be a split sump gasket or a few loose bolts on the sump too.
Like James says, get it cleaned off so you can see where it's coming from.
The pic looks just like my old NA did, and that was a porous sump, where the sump itself had rusted into tiny pin holes where the oil could get out. The oil of course stops the rust and it doesn't get worse.
Having said that, a new sump is only £70 from Toyota and doesn't take that much fitting. You could have a new one powdercoated before fitting to stop any chance of it happening again.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Stef Derner wrote:It culd be a split sump gasket or a few loose bolts on the sump too.
Like James says, get it cleaned off so you can see where it's coming from.
The pic looks just like my old NA did, and that was a porous sump, where the sump itself had rusted into tiny pin holes where the oil could get out. The oil of course stops the rust and it doesn't get worse.
Having said that, a new sump is only £70 from Toyota and doesn't take that much fitting. You could have a new one powdercoated before fitting to stop any chance of it happening again.

I'd say the leak may well be higher as you can see in teh pic that a porton of the block is coated too.

Generally it doesn't take a lot of oil to make a lot of mess!
willies

Post by willies »

phew doesn't sound too bad. ok well looks like I will be booking it in for some work in the next week or two.

Thanks guys for all the help.

Will
Jon Bradley

Post by Jon Bradley »

Yeah i agree with lauren that looks like its coming from above the sump. Open up your engine bay and look down the back side of the engine. If you can see fresh oil just below the cam cover then your cam covers probably need resealing. Not really a big deal.

It also looks like your sump nut is leaking too (just get a new sump nut and gasket when you next have your oil changed). Oil leaks are not bad for your car unless you let the oil level in your engine drop below the minimum mark.

HTH, Jon.

Return to “Mechanical”