Search function - it really does work! Quick tutorial

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jmachling

Search function - it really does work! Quick tutorial

Post by jmachling »

I've seen repeated criticism of the search function on IMOC and can't really understand why. You just need to be quite specific with it.

A few tips:

1) If you type a series of words in and don't fill in the box to 'Search for all terms' it will return posts containing ANY of those words - i.e. hundreds.

2) You can accomplish the same as 1) by writing 'and' between each term (without the ''s obviously)

3) All Boolean logic operators work also. I.e. AND, OR and NOT (don't need to be in capitals)

To search for all posts about Tein suspension type 'suspension and Tein' in the search box

To search for all posts about suspension that is not made by Tein type 'suspension not Tein'

To search for all posts about suspesntion made by Tein or Bilstein type 'suspension and Tein or Bilstein'

Any questions, let me know :thumleft:
Steve Horrocks

Re: Search function - it really does work! Quick tutorial

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Good post john! :thumleft:
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
dave5526

Post by dave5526 »

Old post I realise, but I think it'd be a good idea to make the "search for all terms" the default selected option, rather than the "search for any terms". If you dont select all terms, it pretty much brings up 90% of the posts on IMOC for anything you search for. Having the least useful search option as the default isn't a great idea, I too thought the search fuction was rubbish for some time until I realised you could do this.

Not a major issue but might help some of the newer members find stuff :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

dave5526 wrote:Old post I realise, but I think it'd be a good idea to make the "search for all terms" the default selected option, rather than the "search for any terms". If you dont select all terms, it pretty much brings up 90% of the posts on IMOC for anything you search for. Having the least useful search option as the default isn't a great idea, I too thought the search fuction was rubbish for some time until I realised you could do this.

Not a major issue but might help some of the newer members find stuff :thumleft:

I was gonna do that, but then there will be hundreds of redundant posts across the forum explaining how the search function works... like this one!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

Wow, glad I stumbled across this thread, I've been a member for years and have never been able to figure out the search function.
caydneobrt

Post by caydneobrt »

Thanks to Scott, Search Function thread link is included on welcome email :)
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

caydneobrt wrote:Thanks to Scott, Search Function thread link is included on welcome email :)

:thumleft:
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six

Return to “Club News and Announcements”