mk3 Test Drive Today

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mattcambs

mk3 Test Drive Today

Post by mattcambs »

It's mk3 MR2 vs mk2 MX5 time for me and I went to test drive a year 2000 MR2 in very nice condition. It was only a short drive, but my initial thoughts were:

- comfy
- nice damping
- perfect driving position and pedal layout
- very poor luggage/storage capacity (practically a deal breaker)
- ugly interior
- very enjoyable handling
- excellent, responsive steering
- no sporty exhaust note even on WOT
- poor, spongy brakes (could be just this particular car)
- absolutely dreadful, gutless engine with no character. I suspect something was actually wrong as it didn't feel much quicker than my 1.4 Civic. I was expecting a highly responsive, revvy engine that would be pretty quick considering the car weighs under a tonne.

There's no denying that they are brilliant cars. It even oversteered gracefully and controllably out of a left hand turn. I can't judge the engine as I reckon this one was definitely a dog (pre-cat failure?).

I might try another one, but I'm really looking forward to trying a mk2 MX-5.
Ekona

Re: mk3 Test Drive Today

Post by Ekona »

Brakes should be immense with no spongyness at all, probably the fluid could do with a change. Engine is definitely crap sounding on stock exhaust setup, but shouldn't feel too gutless as long as you're prepared to work it a little. If it really felt totally breathless then I would suggest an issue somewhere, but it's an FE engine not a GE one so it's never going to be the ultimate in performance.

Nice write up though, looks fair enough to me :thumleft:
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Yeh...I agree with most of that..!

I found the engine very poor compared with both my current and previous cars (Mk1 AE101 SC conversion, and Mk1"b" NA, respectively).

Handling should be better than a Mk1, though, overall.....

And you can always drop a 2ZZ or a V6 in it if you really need the extra "Oomph" !? :twisted:

Storage space IS the killer, though... :roll:

WHen I get mine back, I'll be looking to ditch the soft-top altogether, and make some sort of use of the extra space...?
Dunno how feasible this is but as I intend having the hardtop on most of the time, I may as well see if I can utilise the space......?

Bet you end up buying the MX5, though.......! :wink:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Update:
Went to drive another mk3 MR2, this time a face-lift, 2004 model. Then went to drive a mk2.5 MX-5.

The MR2 was brilliant. Confirming that yesterday's one was a complete dog re. the engine. I prefered the handling on the face-lift model and it was great fun. Only the gearbox spoiled things, it was too easy select the wrong gear. My mk2 gearbox is superb by comparison.

The MX-5 was a dog, "but of course sir, we will do all the necessary servicing if you decide to buy it", and I really need to drive another one to understand if they're all this un-refined.

The engine sounded like a diesel when started and just generally a bit rough when revved. The gear change was agricultural and the clutch juddered badly!

Despite an annoying wheel-balance problem and dodgy brakes, I actually did really enjoy the handling. I was just suprised that it was less refined than the mk3 MR2!

Getting back into my mk2 was interesting. The mk2 is clearly a higher class of car in terms of build quality and refinement.
Unless another MX5 can convince me of its merits then the MR2 is ahead at the moment.

Comedy moment of the day was the MX5 dealer being a willy and lecturing me on used car prices when it came to the PX and private value of my MR2 Turbo. He offered me £500 and said I'd be better off selling privately and trying to get £1000 - £1500. I wanted to punch him when he thought he needed to explain to me why Parkers car guide prices are incorrect.

greglebon wrote:Bet you end up buying the MX5, though.......!

Not unless they are way better than the one I drove today! Admittedly I did start to gel with the handling at the end of the test, but everything else just spoilt it.
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

The MX5 is widely regarded as being the best "real" sports car....

Once you drive a good one, you'll probably be swayed...! :D

Mind you, I like my mid-engined cars...and the MX5 has the engine in the wrong place...!! :whistle:

Its personal preference, at the end of the day.......but a decent example of either will be streets ahead of any of the hot-hatch brigade..... :thumleft:
Harry

Post by Harry »

...The MX5 is widely regarded as being the best "real" sports car....

A highly famous cult car in Japan for a reason - perhaps the answer is looking harder for an enthusiasts car via a club. Just not sure - out of interest what were/are the asking prices/price range for these cars.

The concept idea of it is good - light handling cars that rev well. Somehow think perhaps not in stock form for the Toyota but then it probably defeats the object of getting this type. For me the car of today is one that nearly does it all out of the factory.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

I totally agree, Harry. Modifying is just a pain in the ass. I like the idea of the car being just right straight from the factory. Although, having said that, a light pressure super-charger option from Toyota on the mk3 MR2 would be perfect. About 170 - 180bhp is all that car needs.

For MX5 prices and a great variety of specs check out: http://www.dandycars.co.uk/

They are a bit over-priced, but they have loads of interesting imports with nice goodies.

I need to drive another mk2 MX5, but the one I drove definitely did not rev well. In fact the engine was awful, as was the gearbox.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hiya mate, interesting thread you have going here. I have to confess the more I drive around in Miches mk3 (2005) the more I enjoy it. As you say the killer is the luggage space. We can get most stuff in, it's just that it needs to be split up between front and behind the seats. A lot of little things are OK, it's one big item that gives problems. I agree with the interior comments but think it looks loads better inside and out than the MX5.
Be interested to hear what you go for and the reasons why. Hope you're doing well mate and catch up soon. You going to the WRA 2?

R.
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

HighwayStar wrote: but think it looks loads better inside and out than the MX5.

Ok, so I've just bought an '07 Mk3 MX-5 for my wife and I might therefore be slightly biased but I must disagree with you on that one Bob!

Whilst I am sure that the Mk3 MR2 does a lot right, it just looks so bloody awful. The head on view is ok but the profile, especially on stock wheels and the high rear waist line don't do it for me.

MX-5s, regardless which version or vintage just look so right.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

mk3 MX5 is in a different league to both mk2 MX5 and mk3 MR2 in terms of the interior. It's a also a more grown up car, closer to an S2000 imo. I agree with you peter on the mk3 MR2 looks. The side profile is awful!

In photos the mk2 MX5 interior looks far superior to the mk3 MR2. In actual fact it's only slightly better looking and more importantly it's a lot more cramped. The steering wheel and seats don't adjust at all (very real problem for people 5'10" or over) and your left elbow sits where a flip-up cubby hole is on the transmission tunnel and ends up flipping it open

Hey Rob :D

I'm not desperate to sell the tubby, but I do kind of long for a car that offers fun at lower speeds. The trouble with mk2 MR2s is that the they're only fun when you're really tanking it. As a GT they're awesome and the build quality, comfort and practicality is fantastic considering what they are. Even by today's standards.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Maybe I'm just getting used to Miches car. I do agree about the side profile but also about the front... not too ugly at all and I also like the rear view (both dramatically improved from the original version). If I can talk Miche into twin exits and some lowering springs it'll look even better I grant you.
Matt you just need to get yourself a good MK2 rev1 n/a if you want fun at lower speeds. No abs, p/s, or turbo lag to worry about or get in the way. If you're still in Cambs I'll let you know the next time I'm back and you can take mine for a spin.

R.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

HighwayStar wrote:Maybe I'm just getting used to Miches car. I do agree about the side profile but also about the front... not too ugly at all and I also like the rear view (both dramatically improved from the original version). If I can talk Miche into twin exits and some lowering springs it'll look even better I grant you.
Matt you just need to get yourself a good MK2 rev1 n/a if you want fun at lower speeds. No abs, p/s, or turbo lag to worry about or get in the way. If you're still in Cambs I'll let you know the next time I'm back and you can take mine for a spin.

R.

:D

I'm going to be at the rolling road day in Thriplow (5 mins from Duxford) on the 18th. Not running, just there for the social.

I can't make the Duxford show this year as I'm in America 8)
What's WRA 2?
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

It's our second club attempt at the world record for most 2s in a rolling convoy (have a look in the events section for details... last day of May). Likewise I'm away this year for Duxford (Hello Barbados 8) ). Any more info on the RR day? Might be fun to go along and catch up.... any of the old Cambs lot going along other than your good self?

R.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=111250

I think Chr15py will be there and possibly Paul@Kentcarcraft, and I know that Paul (Moo) will be there for sure. They were all at Duxford last year.

I don't know if I can make the WRA.

Jealous re. Barbados BTW. Hope you have a great time :D
We're doing NY for a few days and then off to California (Yosemite, SF, etc). Will be taking my new toy....... DSLR 8)
I've been really getting into my photography recently.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Good to hear you're having fun mate, what DSLR did you go for? And lens?
I'm really looking forward to Barbados so much so that I've been swimming 45mins a day and doing sit ups and push ups for the last 2 mths to get the Daniel Craig bod thing going on (err, well... err, almost).
Might join you on the 18th for a catch up if I can. I'll see how things go closer to the time.
Enjoy California, it's a funny sunny place (except LA which is a very expensive unfriendly toilet).

R.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”