How to stop the 'bong'?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HighwayStar

How to stop the 'bong'?

Post by HighwayStar »

Morning all.
Just a quickie for you. Michelles (my g/f) mk3 has just run out of warranty so it's been up to Rogue to have the pre-cats knocked out as a precaution but the other thing we want to do is stop the stupid 'bong' noises you get when either reversing (We know what gear it's in ... we put it there!) or putting it in any gear without a belt on.
Anybody know how to eradicate these annoyances? Is there a fuse we can pull or wire to snip? The reversing sound is more of an issue than the belt warning but tips on how to do both would be appreciated.
Thx

R.
BenF
Premium Member

Re: How to stop the 'bong'?

Post by BenF »

Rob,

I'm fairly sure you can just disconnect the sounder, if you get in under the dash to find it.

I've left mine connected as reverse is quite 'close' to 1st on the 6 speed 'box, so if the Mrs is driving there's less chance of a mistake ;)

Ben
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Cheers mate I'll give it a go.

R.
rogerROC

Post by rogerROC »

It can be annoying, but in 4+ years it has saved me a couple of times.

Before you do it, quiz your G/F if she has the same confidence as you do at never finding reverse accidently.

Courtesy of Spyderchat......

If i can do it then anyone can!

You need to pull off the dash instrument hood - the bit with the speedo and rev counter. Theres 2 clips at the top and 2 at the bottom and it just pulls out.
Then unscrew the instrument panel, one screw at top and 2 at bottom. This will pull forward enough to get at the three connectors.
On the biggest connector, the white one on the right hand side going into the instrument panel, theres a red with blue stripe wire. Its on the top row, 3 in from the left hand side as you look at the connector.
I just snipped it and taped off both ends.

Voila, no more beep! 8)
You could join this wire back together at a later stage if you're missing the beep too much...
Then put everything back together, which is very simple.

Job done!
Jon
Last edited by rogerROC on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Thanks for that Roger/Jon? I'll check with she who must be obeyed first of course (even I'm not that brave).

R.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”