[Mk3] [NA] MK3 Engine noice

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Cadde

[Mk3] [NA] MK3 Engine noice

Post by Cadde »

I have a MR2 MK3, 2002 model just had a pre cat frailer about a week ago. After getting my car back a couple of days I noticed a noise (like a bracket is loose) when at 2000 RPM at a standstill, or aprox 4000 RPM when driving. Took it back to the garage and they think it’s a piston knocking, but I think/hope he’s full of bull S##t……….can anyone help?
paul port

Re: [Mk3] [NA] MK3 Engine noice

Post by paul port »

What did they do to deal with the pre-cat failure???

I thought pre-cat failure on a Mk3 = crumbly bits falling back into the engine
Scored Bores, and due to the block construction - requiring a new short-block / engine...
paul
JJ

Post by JJ »

Bizzare.. I heard an mk3 drive past me the other day.. and could hear the engine was knocking on that as well... common fault paul ?
Cadde

Engine noise

Post by Cadde »

What the garage told me was the cat in the manifold had failed breaking up into small pieces & blocking the Cat in the centre pipe. They have removed what was left of the “Honey Combe” from the manifold cat & replaced the centre cat. The Knocking noise started shortly after, hens why I think something is loose on the exhaust system.

Don’t know if it’s of any relevance, but when I rev the engine slowly it does not knock. Only when I stab the throttle? At the moment I am monitoring the oil levels to see how much oil is burning, too see if there maybe an internal oil leak.
JJ

Post by JJ »

When you first start it up, is the oil light staying on for a few seconds ??
Cadde

Post by Cadde »

No all dash light are normal
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

If you can get it across to Rogue HQ I'll give it a quick listen and let you know what it's most likely to be.
Cadde

Post by Cadde »

Thanks for that, I've got a half day on Friday so I will pop over as you’re only a few miles away.

I’ve got a Toyota service & repair manual, looking at it I’ve come across a “Knock Sensor” which states, the knock sensor is fitted to the cylinder block to detect engine knocking. This sensor contains a piezoelectric element which generates a voltage when it becomes deformed. This occurs when the cylinder block vibrates due to knocking. If the engine knocking occurs, ignition timing is retarded to suppress it.

In layman terms does that mean if my engine is knocking I would have my engine warning light on and it would keep stalling at idle?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Not same Knock. The sensor is for pinking/det. I know alot of these cars failed in the same way as yours....Usually goosed the engine :(
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Chris wrote:Not same Knock. The sensor is for pinking/det. I know alot of these cars failed in the same way as yours....Usually goosed the engine :(

Toyota revised both pre-cat and piston ring design ahead of the '02 facelift revision. I don't think we've seen a failed post-revision engine yet, and all of the 1ZZ-FE engines we're installing in race cars at the moment are either late, or rebuilt using late short blocks.

Patrick
Cadde

Post by Cadde »

Rogue wrote:If you can get it across to Rogue HQ I'll give it a quick listen and let you know what it's most likely to be.

Had a good look over the weekend and couldn’t find anything!!!!!, so I’m going to try and get out of work early one day this week and bring it over for you to have a listen if that’s still ok.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Cadde wrote:I have a MR2 MK3, 2002 model just had a pre cat frailer about a week ago. After getting my car back a couple of days I noticed a noise (like a bracket is loose) when at 2000 RPM at a standstill, or aprox 4000 RPM when driving. Took it back to the garage and they think it’s a piston knocking, but I think/hope he’s full of bull S##t……….can anyone help?

I'd get it over to Patrick's ASAP - the theory is that pre-cat failure causes dust / debris from the cat to be drawn into the other cylinders, causing damage to the cylinder bore and high oil consumption.

I'd keep a very close eye on the oil level - engine failures following pre-cat failure are caused by oil being burnt / lost and then the engine seizing when the oil is too low / gone.

I'd suspect if you've got loud knocking, there's more damage than just the pre-cats.
Cadde

Post by Cadde »

No too much engine noise, only intermittent noise like something is loose when accelerating.
Any advice for a novice on what to check?
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Cadde wrote:No too much engine noise, only intermittent noise like something is loose when accelerating.
Any advice for a novice on what to check?

Hmm. Could be that a part of the new exhaust section is touching a part of the bodywork / chassis - I'd check that all the rubber dampers for the exhaust are fitted properly.

I'd try knocking / rocking the exhaust by hand when cold, and see if you can replicate the nose - and track it down from there.

Failing that, if you're close to Patrick's place, I'd take it for him to have a quick check on.
Captain Vimes

Post by Captain Vimes »

Cadde

Post by Cadde »

Yeah is does but not that bad, it really only makes the noise at around 2000 RPM.

What was making that noise on yours?
Cadde

Post by Cadde »

Hmm. Could be that a part of the new exhaust section is touching a part of the bodywork / chassis - I'd check that all the rubber dampers for the exhaust are fitted properly.

I'd try knocking / rocking the exhaust by hand when cold, and see if you can replicate the nose - and track it down from there.

Failing that, if you're close to Patrick's place, I'd take it for him to have a quick check on.[/quote]

I did try that, knocking the exhaust so think Patrick's my last hope
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Captain Vimes wrote:Does it sound like this:-

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v288/ ... Broken.flv

Oh, that's really nasty ... wasn't an engine swap the next step ?
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Cadde wrote:

Failing that, if you're close to Patrick's place, I'd take it for him to have a quick check on.

I did try that, knocking the exhaust so think Patrick's my last hope

If it is knocking as badly as in that clip :shock: I'd not drive the car unless critical and get it straight to Patrick's for a professional opinion.

Ever fancied a V6 conversion?
Cadde

Post by Cadde »

Love one, if only I had the ££££££££

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”