Valve springs – Uprated

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bender Unit

Valve springs – Uprated

Post by Bender Unit »

Just wondered where people have got their valve springs from, anyone know of a cheap supplier?? As I am putting in some high lift cams I was going to change the springs. I was going to go for HKS if I can get them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

James
JJ

Re: Valve springs – Uprated

Post by JJ »

I've stuck the HKS springs in from the earlier rev 1/2's ! Technically the valves are a tad longer on the rev 3's to whats fitted in the rev 2's, but the collar to the valve spring seat measures the same indicating that the valves on the rev 3's.. is in fact only longer on the stem.

I've had them fitted and no problems encountered. The HKS ones you can see ( if I had my images CD kicking about ) has less coil wounds than the stock to accomodate for further compression of the spring ... ideal for 10mm lifts on the cams ! 8)

Rating of the springs, I'm unsure of, probably the same as the rev 3 springs.... I believe their stronger to resist against valve floating at high boost, high rpms ... but I've never done any research on it in a comparisons to others.

:)
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
gmtc

ATS racing

Post by gmtc »

I used some Engle ones from ATSracing.com. They are about 50% longer than the standard ones and when compressed are about 50% stiffer. Best of all they are $99 (it think) - a fair bit cheaper. ATSracing have used them in 500bhp engines with big cams.
ATS are also helpful with shipping.

Return to “Mechanical”