Changing Thermostat & coolant temp sensors

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

FizzyBlueMr2

Changing Thermostat & coolant temp sensors

Post by FizzyBlueMr2 »

Hi,

I'm having a little bit if erratic behaviour from my rev 3 tubby lately, which I think may be down to the thermostat.

Some mornings the temp gauge takes ages to get to normal, and the car doesn't seem to run as good as it normally does. Also idle revs seem to dip every now and again - basically runs a bit badly, and doesn't seem as smooth as normal.

However, other mornings it only takes a few minutes to get to normal temp, and the car runs a lot smoother, idle revs are as expected (sticking at 800 rpm or so quite nicely) and everything generally seems fine.

I'm starting to think its the thermostat or a temp sensor thats intermittantly faulty? If I recall correctly faulty thermostats tend to fail open (which would mean that the engine would take a lot longer to warm up from cold)?

How difficult is it to change the thermostat and coolant temp sensors - is it best for a garage to do it?

- Ian.
raptor95GTS

Re: Changing Thermostat & coolant temp sensors

Post by raptor95GTS »

see reply in mech section - don't double post :shock:

edit :oops: general section

Return to “Modifications”