2GR-FE 3.5 litre V6 Project

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rogue

2GR-FE 3.5 litre V6 Project

Post by Rogue »

Hi All,

Given the number of phone calls I've received about it recently, it would seem that word has got around that we're installing a 3.5 litre V6 engine into an MR2. :wink:

This is a motorsport project so I'm not permitted to talk in too much detail, but the owner has given me permission to post up some photos and an overview of the project.

For those of you not familiar with it, the 2GR-FE is a 3.5litre V6 found in the Lexus RX350 in the UK, and various other Toyotas (most notably the Camry) in other markets. They're very hard to come by in the UK and the donor for this project was indeed an RX350. Power is reportedly between ~270bhp / ~250lb/ft, and 280bhp / 260lb/ft depending on fuel grade.

The series that the car will be raced in does not permit throttle by wire, so this aspect of the conversion has been sidestepped, and a conventional throttle arrangement will be used. Engine management is provided by the Link G4 Extreme which will provide for both dual VVTi control (inlet and exhaust on both heads) as well as full sequential ignition and injection. (It could also have driven the throttle by wire!)

The 2GR-FE is currently used in the new Lotus Evora, which despite being over 100kgs heavier than a standard MR2 has claimed 0-60 time of sub 5 seconds. This project should allow for the car becoming around 100kgs lighter than a standard MR2 in full race trim - it will also remain road legal. :thumleft:

Here are some photos from a couple of weeks ago showing the bare engine attached to a dummy MR2 turbo transaxle:

Cheers,

Patrick
raptor95GTS

Re: 2GR-FE 3.5 litre V6 Project

Post by raptor95GTS »

excellent :clap: This is THE n/a V6 motor for the mr2, so er when you going to turbo the blighter?? :twisted:

gouky in the US did this into his mr2, made 290whp (uncorrected on a cold day - corrected to 270whp and 250ftlb)
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Yes, I had a read of Gouky's thread - very useful for the service bulletin type information that we don't have access to in the UK, and a fantastic self-build project. :thumleft:

Incidentally, we've got this in the workshop as well. See if you can guess what it is:

Patrick
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Rogue wrote:
Incidentally, we've got this in the workshop as well. See if you can guess what it is:

Looks like a V6 Engine sitting on a Pallet :thumleft: :thumleft:
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:Looks like a V6 Engine sitting on a Pallet :thumleft: :thumleft:

You only get half points for that answer. [-(

You can have full credit if you guess which V6 it is!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

it's a beef popsicle? 2GR FSE?
Harry

Post by Harry »

Fantastic Patrick - look forward to hearing it and seeing it go :twisted:
paul port

Post by paul port »

So that's what's keeping you busy these days Patrick.... :shock:

When will the Rogue'd MRS ever be completed?

Paul

PS, if you can round up the other Roguesters, keep Jan 9th evening free for a belated Christmas meal.... I <Should> still be in the country then...
redmr89

Post by redmr89 »

hmmm its got to be camry or small lexus, is200?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

allan welsh wrote:it's a beef popsicle? 2GR FSE?

Lol - I wish! If it was a 2GR-FSE then the photo would show it covered in my own drool. =P~

redmr89 wrote:hmmm its got to be camry or small lexus, is200?

Think bigger... :whistle:
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

1GRFE?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

cartledge_uk wrote:1GRFE?

Yep, it's the 4 litre V6 from a Toyota Landcruiser. Some company in Oldham though that if they ground off the engine code and pretended it was a 2GR-FE no-one would notice...

It's been taking up space here for over a month now and they don't seem in a hurry to collect it. Or to refund the £3000 they charged for it...

[-(
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

mmm grinding off ID marks and selling said items as something they're not, isn't that breaking several rules? Did you pay by credit card?

Anyways, what are your expectations for the 2GR and will you be offering this conversion for normal daily drivers? (sorry, I'm spending too much time on the US forums lol)
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Rogue wrote:Yep, it's the 4 litre V6 from a Toyota Landcruiser. Some company in Oldham though that if they ground off the engine code and pretended it was a 2GR-FE no-one would notice...
[-(

Who's that Patrick? Alwys interested in local scam merchantsto kep an eye on? (There's a few places round here I don't like to go to, never mind pay money to! lol)
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Wasn't a company called Mr Engine was it?

We had a similar issue with this company, but with a gear box.

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

I'll post up details of the company once everything has been resolved. Our customer bought the engine directly, but we've been stung in the past (by a different company) when a 2ZZ turned out to be a 1ZZ... Took over three months to resolve and despite getting Trading Standards involved it was actually the threat of talking to Watchdog that got our money back. We're getting all of the same excuses this time around too...

Patrick
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

if the customer bought direct and paid by credit card (not a cheap purchase I'll bet) - get them to do the necessary. Very few companies will stand up to a credit card company - they have too much to lose in sales
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Whoops! Completely forgot to update this thread!

The car has it's first event this weekend so I'll let you know how it gets on. We had to have the installation of the engine assessed and checked by the MSA last year before they would issue it with a Rally log book. I'm pleased to say the scrutineer passed our work with flying colours.

At present, for various technical reasons we don't have control over the variable valve timing, meaning that low down and mid-range torque figures are significantly lower than they should be. Peak power shouldn't be affected though.

Here's a recent dyno run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRXGWk1n8to

You can see as the camera pans to the screen that the torque is nothing like the shape it should be yet. Good news though is that power is well up on quoted figures for relatively few mods, hinting at lots of potential for development.

I'll post up a proper dyno plot once we have full VVT control.

Patrick
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

nice, very nice. Sounds amazing and not short on grunt either :thumleft:
steve b

Post by steve b »

Patrick is the 4 Litre Landcruiser V6 not any good for transplants?
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”