Power FC on rev2?Steve?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Owen @ Kent Car Craft

Power FC on rev2?Steve?

Post by Owen @ Kent Car Craft »

I think it was steve who put the Power FC on his rev2 turbo.Looks like i'll be doing the same.What problems will i come accross fitting it?
I know i need the igniter/IAT sensor/MAP sensor,but what else?
And do they fit directly in?
Cheers
Owen
paul_h

Re: Power FC on rev2?Steve?

Post by paul_h »

Elmo Owen wrote:I think it was steve who put the Power FC on his rev2 turbo.Looks like i'll be doing the same.What problems will i come accross fitting it?
I know i need the igniter/IAT sensor/MAP sensor,but what else?
And do they fit directly in?
Cheers
Owen

I thought you'd bought the AEM ?

change of plan?

paul
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

Possibly.The guy is still doddering over the AEM.I really dont know what to do .Realistially i would prefer the FC as its more widely catered for but i dont know how much of a problem they are to fit to a Rev2.
What do you reckon?
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

It depends which FC you start with basically.

I had a rev 2 FC and had to fit,

Rev 3 intake manifold temp sensor
Rev 3 ignitor to remove 6500rpm rev limit

Thats it - to allow you to boost to 17psi

To boost above that, just buy a cheapo GM 3 bar map sensor from the US and when you get the car mapped get the tuner to set it up with that one.

If you start with the rev 3 power FC, you may have to swap a couple of wires about, but other than that the same process is required.

I wrote an install procedure for mine on the US website, search for it in the after market engine management section.
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
JJ

Post by JJ »

Elmo Owen wrote:Possibly.The guy is still doddering over the AEM.I really dont know what to do .Realistially i would prefer the FC as its more widely catered for but i dont know how much of a problem they are to fit to a Rev2.
What do you reckon?

AEM is plug and pray ! :D

If you go for the listing for 93-95, they're equivalent to the rev 2 setup. You'd need the kit though incorporating a higher reading map sensor for starters !

"What problems will i come accross fitting it?
I know i need the igniter/IAT sensor/MAP sensor"

No problems fitting it, all straightforward.. just need to make sure you have a map for fuelling the injectors - 440cc's if your on the rev 2 fueling still ... ideally the datalogit software too for you to get your head around tuning cars - or just leave it to the likes of thor engineering.

The fitment, to wire the IAT sensor needs to fit too, you need to cut the AFM wire up ( 4 wires ) and take off two wires from there. IAT sensor needs to be fitted after the intercooler in the path of the induction... like the rubber induction pipe between the hard pipe and the throttle body. Alternatively, remove the cold start injector ( and cap off the fuel supply to it ) under the throttle body, make some sort of interface plate and insert the probe there ! The rubber pipe fitments the easiest !

:wink:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

So in terms of practicality and cost.Which one would i be better off getting?the AEM or the FC?
CharlesK

Post by CharlesK »

[quote="stevecordiner"]

Rev 3 ignitor to remove 6500rpm rev limit

[quote]

Sorry to jump on this thread, but I'm also looking to fit a stand alone ecu on my rev2(probably the AP engineering Power FC).
What I don't get is the 6500rpm limit...
At the moment the car revs easily @ 7000+ on the stock ECU.
Whats the story?
Charles
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Out of interest, how much are people paying for these AEMs and PowerFCs?
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

Dino,

the AEM with the plug and play and the following sensors
AEM Wideband o2 Kit with 2 1/16" gauge display or without display or FJO wide-band w/ 2 1/16" gauge display)
3.5 Bar AEM MAP Sensor
Intake Air Temp Sensor & Connector
GM Boost Control Solenoid & Connector
inc base map

is about £1300 delivered including taxes.

paul
JJ

Post by JJ »

What I don't get is the 6500rpm limit...

Charles, the igniter that fires the coil is different on the rev 3's and as the ecus were primarily designed for the rev 3's, there something about the ignitors that not quite right with the ecus... though changing it out resolved this.

Steves wouldn't rev above 6500 rpm.... a simple changeout with a rev 3 / Celica GT4 ignitor and no revving restrictions... in fact the rev limiter you dial into the program is exactly where the engine cuts out !

:)
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

MR2Mania wrote:Out of interest, how much are people paying for these AEMs and PowerFCs?

I paid 500 for my power FC, dataloggit, GM map sensor and rev 3 manifold temp sensor.

So thats 500 fitted and running the car with a good base map, I then managed to sell my old ECU for 100 and my AFM for 50 quid :) Mapping is 350 roughly at Thor, so for me I managed to buy and get tuned my EMS for 700 quid :)

Rev limit issue - as JJ has explained :D
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!

Return to “Modifications”