GT28rs Vs Fensports GT28...???

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mikejc

GT28rs Vs Fensports GT28...???

Post by Mikejc »

As you night have guessed from the tittle, i'm still as yet undesided as to which Turbo to go for. However, I believe that I have narrowed it down to one of the above!?...I think :lol:

A quick re-cap to help remind you all exactly what I need this Turbo to be/do...

1) Reliable/efficient
2) Increased power (but not at the cost of a load of lag)
3) Able to work well at a max of 1.2 bar ( due to still running standed internals)

The car has 293 bhp @ the hubs at the moment.

I'm not trying to create a drag strip monster here chaps. More of an all rounder if poss? Drive-ability is very important to me, So something that has a bundle of lag is no good!

I'm told that the GT28rs spools up like no other turbo, but has a limit of around 350bhp @ the fly? A figure that i'm not too far from now.

The GT28 that Fensport have spent a year developing...

They tell me that this turbo will give me 1.0 bar at 3.400rpm!?

They also tell me that it will realistic leave me with another 40/50 bhp!?

I think the GT28rs sounds like the perfect turbo for the cars current spec, but it would be nice to have something with yet more potential should/when I go the route of forgies etc....Fensports GT28? Or will this feel like it has a lot more lag? Again 1.0bar @ 3.400???

Thanks for the help guys

:wink:

Mikejc
The Morris

Re: GT28rs Vs Fensports GT28...???

Post by The Morris »

im glad you bought this topic up as i was looking at the Gt28rs from c2 power. Good price compared to other similar turbos. Im after the same as you, am all rounder, so im also interested to hear other peoples opinions.
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Mike, what A/R exhaust housing do Fensport recommend for their GT28? AFAIK, you can get that spec Garrett in either 0.64 or 0.86. The spool up will depend greatly on the choice of turbine housing.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Come on Dino. You know i don't get that tech talk. Plain English please my good man for us not in the know ! lol
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Mikejc wrote:Come on Dino. You know i don't get that tech talk. Plain English please my good man for us not in the know ! lol

Mike, just give them a ring tomorrow. Speak to Tony, and ask him if you've got a choice in the size of the exhaust housing. Generally, there are 2 options, 0.64 or 0.86 A/R ratios.

Basically, the larger the housing (larger A/R no), the laggier it will be, but the better it will be at the top end.

ISTR that Fensport have tried both specs extensively, and found that they weren't getting much more power out of the bigger housing, yet were losing spool up, so it might just be that they're only supplying the turbo with the smaller housing. Either way, speak to Tony, and I'm sure he'll give you the low down on what they've experienced.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Now that I think about it, they did indeed offer me this very choice 0.64 or 0.86 A/R. But to be honest i was unsure at to what this ment!? :oops:

Do you think that this turbo will feel good on the road given the smaller housing? Like I said, they tell me tyhat 1bar of boost will be availible from 3.400rpm

Mikejc
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Mikejc wrote:Now that I think about it, they did indeed offer me this very choice 0.64 or 0.86 A/R. But to be honest i was unsure at to what this ment!? :oops:

Do you think that this turbo will feel good on the road given the smaller housing? Like I said, they tell me tyhat 1bar of boost will be availible from 3.400rpm

Mikejc

Speak to Jonno (Neil), as this is the turbo he's running on his car (but I'm not sure which housing he's got).

One thing to be aware of. These Garrett dual ball bearing turbos will show different spool up on a dyno to on a road. So, on a dyno, it may seem laggy, because the dyno is not giving enough resistance to spool the turbo as quickly as it would on the road. Fensport generally quote what they can confirm through their datalogging. But ask which housing that is with. The bigger housing WILL be laggier than the smaller one.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Cheers mate, i'll get on it first thing 2morrow :wink:

Mikejc
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Mikejc wrote:Cheers mate, i'll get on it first thing 2morrow :wink:

Mikejc

Say "Hi" to Tony for me, please! :D
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

Mike having had a chance to be passenger in Jonno's car, I certainly would not call it laggy in the slightest. Yup, it spools a bit slower than the ct series turbos as you'd expect but delivers a lot more punch and has a lot more capability :)
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
JJ

Post by JJ »

5k + it pulls real hard ! Hopefully when I put my gas turbine generator on, it might spool up by then ! :shock:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
jonno

Post by jonno »

According to Fensport their GT28, with the 0.64 A/R exhaust housing (same as mine) is rated to 420bhp, Andy pushed his to 2.3 bar and made 465bhp with 264 cams. The GT28rs seems to be rated between 360-380bhp, so its a much smaller turbo.

The spoolup of Fensports GT28 is pretty good but it wont be as good as the GT28rs, likewise the GT28rs will be making 1 bar by 3k, the GT28 from Fensport wont make 1 bar till about 3.7k doesent sound like alot but it really robs you of low down torque.

Personally I would say this,

If your planning on running Forged Pistons, Bigger Injectiors, Motec ECU and Cams then go for the GT28 from Fensport .

If you just want some more kick but dont want to go into orbit, go with the GT28rs, it will be a better "road" turbo - IMHO anyway.

But than again, I love mine at the minute so I would guess you will be happy with either to be honest :)
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I bit the bullet today and ordered the GT28 from Fensport. They assured me that i'll have 1 bar of boost by 3.400 rpm and a bundle more power for my efforts! This being the case i'm more than sure that i'll be a happy man :D

Mikejc :wink:
Attila

Post by Attila »

Hi all.
The turbo Fensport use on their cars is NOT the GT28RS.
We have a few of those, and they don't look like it.
There is many turbos in the GT25, GT28, and Gt30
series, many trims, A/R's, and countless combinations.
The on the Fensport kit looks more like a HKS GT2835 to me, offcourse it isn't a HKS unit. Anyone has detailed pics or specs about it?
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Tilus wrote:Hi all.
The turbo Fensport use on their cars is NOT the GT28RS.
We have a few of those, and they don't look like it.
There is many turbos in the GT25, GT28, and Gt30
series, many trims, A/R's, and countless combinations.
The on the Fensport kit looks more like a HKS GT2835 to me, offcourse it isn't a HKS unit. Anyone has detailed pics or specs about it?

Tilus, we already know that, that's why the thread is "GT28rs Vs Fensports GT28...???" ;)

I think you're right, though, about it being a similar spec to the HKS GT2835R, as there's a Garrett equivalent to that.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Mikejc wrote:I bit the bullet today and ordered the GT28 from Fensport. They assured me that i'll have 1 bar of boost by 3.400 rpm and a bundle more power for my efforts! This being the case i'm more than sure that i'll be a happy man :D

Mikejc :wink:

and in the next 6 months you'll be asking about new camshafts LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wish I had the same car money as you mike! :oops:
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

lol We'll I don't drink much, I don't smoke or gamble. But I figure everyone needs at least one vice! :lol: :wink:

Mikejc
ryan_s3

Post by ryan_s3 »

gt28rs(0.86) the one to go for around 360bhp i wouldn't bother with the (0.64).If i wanted 400bhp with slightly more lag i'd go with the gt2871r then after this the gt28 thats neil has etc.Depends what your goals are at the end of the day.Buy a turbo that will run effiently for the desired hp.
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

Does anyone has any specs on inducer and exducer sizes for the fensport "GT28" i talked with tony at fensport also turbodynamics who build these turbo's for them....... The housings types and .ar values of the Fensport GT28 are exactly the same as the Garrett GT25r. Turbodynamics even gave me the serial numbers from the centre section and it falls in with garretts range of part numbers for there GT25r. Although neither tony or Turbodynamics would give me the specific information in any more detail on the blade specs. Tony got so far then passed me onto tubodynamics.

Now i know there was a lot of false rumours going about on the mr2oc.com (usa) board about bad things with the GT25r in both specs mainly down to LB (extremeboost) making out this was some kind of super turbo and producing high bhp figures at low psi and good spool up rates. Now although he over estermated the power/psi rating this turbo has been proved in the past that it can make 440RWHP at the higher psi ranges 22psi+ with supporting mods, and the .86 ar housings will spool around the same times as fensport are claiming on theres.

I was just wandering if anyone has any specs on the fensport turbo because at the moment all i can see if 2 turbo's with the same part numbers and performance gains............. Logically says that this might just be a renamed GT25r. Although i am looking for information to put my own conclusion together about this turbo. I know this has been brought up in the past on the on the us boards and it has never come to a full conclusion. some say it is, others say it isn't. So i think it would be nice to clear it up and get some compairson flow maps and specs.

Any help out there guys.

Tim
xxxx
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

xxxx wrote:Does anyone has any specs on inducer and exducer sizes for the fensport "GT28" i talked with tony at fensport also turbodynamics who build these turbo's for them....... The housings types and .ar values of the Fensport GT28 are exactly the same as the Garrett GT25r. Turbodynamics even gave me the serial numbers from the centre section and it falls in with garretts range of part numbers for there GT25r. Although neither tony or Turbodynamics would give me the specific information in any more detail on the blade specs. Tony got so far then passed me onto tubodynamics.

Now i know there was a lot of false rumours going about on the mr2oc.com (usa) board about bad things with the GT25r in both specs mainly down to LB (extremeboost) making out this was some kind of super turbo and producing high bhp figures at low psi and good spool up rates. Now although he over estermated the power/psi rating this turbo has been proved in the past that it can make 440RWHP at the higher psi ranges 22psi+ with supporting mods, and the .86 ar housings will spool around the same times as fensport are claiming on theres.

I was just wandering if anyone has any specs on the fensport turbo because at the moment all i can see if 2 turbo's with the same part numbers and performance gains............. Logically says that this might just be a renamed GT25r. Although i am looking for information to put my own conclusion together about this turbo. I know this has been brought up in the past on the on the us boards and it has never come to a full conclusion. some say it is, others say it isn't. So i think it would be nice to clear it up and get some compairson flow maps and specs.

Any help out there guys.

Tim
xxxx

Tim, in the past I suspected that Fensport's GT28 is what Garrett call a GT25R, as at the time, the only other GT28 was a tiny little turbo. And it could be that this is what they initially had, but to produce the figures that Fensport say, I started to think it's equivalent to the HKS2835R (hence the name they give it).

Either way, the GT25R is not a bad turbo, and does work quite well on a 3SGTE, just not as well as LB was leading everyone to believe on the US board.

Return to “Modifications”