Mel's rev 3 turbo rebuild

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bry

Mel's rev 3 turbo rebuild

Post by Bry »

Thought I'd share the photos of the stripping and rebuilding of Mel's lovely rev3 turbo's engine.
Last month his engine started to do its best impression of an Impreza on idle, a quick compression test showed Low compression in cyl 4 (110psi) Mel was very :cry: :( ](*,) ](*,) :shock: Now, something you should know about Mel is he knows absolutely nothing about the mechanics of cars and would genuinely spend ages looking for a left handed screwdriver if you asked him :lol: He does however love cleaning things and can be seen in the pics below getting in our way with a cotton bud in hand trying to clean nooks and crannies whilst we all toil away :lol: so myself, Mel's brother (Clayton), Nick(tarmac terrorist) and his bro Ben (both Toyota mechanics) decided we'd step in and do the work for him (it was either that or watch Mel figure out some other means of powering his car e.g pedal power Fred flinstone style :lol: )

Phase 1 Engine removal
Keiran at Silverback Performance has just moved into new premises in the next village to me and very generously allowed us the use of his workshop to do all the work, so let battle commence
Here we go
The team
Shiny bits off
oil out (nearly forgot) #-o
Nice pile of bits building up
Now attack from above
She's free from above
And free from belowImage
Out she comes
:shock:
Mel with his cotton bud :roll: :lol:
Now WTF do we do next #-o
Glad these two know what to do :D
Stripping begins
Turbo off
Stock cams :(
a little oil staining
Cams out
Head off, stock pistons
Sump offImage
More Gubbins :lol:
One cracked ring land on piston no 4

Phase two get Block honed and measured then order pistons to suit. Battle will recommence soon :D
Watch out OZ here I come !!
EarL

Re: Mel's rev 3 turbo rebuild

Post by EarL »

Genuinely one of the nicest Rev 3's to grace the pages of ANY web site. Real shame that it's suffered a cracked ringland, but excellent to see the commerarderie and to know it's in good hands Bry.

Be nice to see it back on the road, where it belongs. :thumleft:

All the best with the rebuild guys,

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
Bry

Post by Bry »

EarL wrote:Genuinely one of the nicest Rev 3's to grace the pages of ANY web site. Real shame that it's suffered a cracked ringland, but excellent to see the commerarderie and to know it's in good hands Bry.

Be nice to see it back on the road, where it belongs. :thumleft:

All the best with the rebuild guys,

EarL.

I will pass on to Mel your kind words Earl :clap: The Block, head and crank are at the machine shop now, just waiting for a call to tell me what size Pistons I can order and then hopefully have it all back together again in the next 2 weeks. Mel is in 7th heaven at the Mo as not only can he get his engine bay even cleaner now there's no engine in it, he's also cleaning every single component we've removed and is even cleaning/painting the underneath of the car :shock:
Nick(Tarmacterrorist) is the real hero here as his own car is in pieces at the mo and he's stopped work on it to sort Mel's car out, Nick we salute you :D :salut:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

LOL it doesn't surprise me that he is cleaning everything! :mrgreen:

Bad luck on the failure though, has it been diagnosed why?
T
Bry

Post by Bry »

tonigmr2 wrote:LOL it doesn't surprise me that he is cleaning everything! :mrgreen:

Bad luck on the failure though, has it been diagnosed why?
T

too much boost plus when it was dyno'd he was told it was getting a small amount of det at 7000rpm prob caused by the Blitz ECU, mind you its done well considering it's be run at 1.2 bar for the last 5 years :lol:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Yes it has! I expect the whole block will be polished by the time it goes back in. :mrgreen:
T
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

good luck with the build.

one of the nicest white 2s ive ever seen...
(and ive seen it in th flesh a few times)
Bry

Post by Bry »

jimGTS wrote:good luck with the build.

one of the nicest white 2s ive ever seen...
(and ive seen it in th flesh a few times)

I'll pass on your comment Jim, He'll appreciate it :clap: The engine would be back together this weekend if it wasn't for Fensport cocking up the pistons ](*,) So hopefully the following weekend we'll be able to put the engine back in and not a moment too soon as far as Mel is concerened as I fear he dangerously close to self harming due to the loss of his car 8-[ :wink:
Bry

Post by Bry »

After a very long day today we got the engine back in and running much to Mels relief, will add pics and full write up tomorrow as I'm shagged now :lol:
Bry

Post by Bry »

All rested now so can report back on yesterday. Got to the workshop bright and early ready to put the engine back in and found, Mel, ,clayton, Nick and Ben huddled around a calor gas fire as it was fookin freezing, I had come prepared and was wearing 3 pairs of socks, 3 pairs of trousers, 3 tops, 2 pairs of gloves and bubble wrap in side my shoes (works a treat :wink: ) Over the last few weeks I'd ordered in all the parts for Mel and had his Block rebored to 86.5mm,head and block skimmed and the crank polished (didn't need regrinding which was a bonus \:D/ ) all the parts were then taken to Nick and Ben at Toyota's where over the last few days they built up the engine (absolute stars those two :clap: ) ready for the big re- install on sunday.
It went pretty much to plan with only a few technical hitches and by 5pm we cranked her over to check all was good and unfortunetly we found a couple of fuel leaks :cry: An hour later and good old Nick had managed to tighten up the offending bolt on the fuel rail(one of those things that takes 10 seconds when the engines out but an hour with the engine in) \:D/ . Bolt all tightened we tried again only to find fuel leaking from injector no 4 ](*,) By now everyone was frozen solid and close to giving up but with Mel threatning to go chuck himself off a bridge if he had to suffer another day without his car with persevered :shock: :lol: . We got the injector out and found the O ring had been pinched,so whacked another O ring on, cranked it over and NO LEAK \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
No we could try to start her up 8-[ Mel cranked her over and she fired up as if nothing had happened \:D/ and I must say she sounded absolutely sweet as a nut, no knocks ,taps,smoke nothing. While was was busy celebrating I noticed a huge puddle of liquid appearing under the car :shock: quickly switching off the engine we found the culprit to be a dodgy seal on the oil filter, so new oil filter on we started her up and no leaks this time :D
The total time from removing the engine to refitting it had taken just over 3 weeks, and now after the those 3 agonising weeks for Mel he has an engine to be proud of and dare I say friends too :lol:

Big thanks to GTS chris, Fennsport and JT rebores for their services.

Now for the photo's
Cometic 1.4mm H/G , Walbro and Fidanza Flywheel
Helix 6 paddle clutch
JE 86.5mm Forgies
Forgies going in
ARP headstuds in
Bit of Bling
Ben getting the engine ready under Mel's beady eye
Nice clean head
Mel making sure we know what flywheel he's got
Helix Clutch on
Walbro being made ready by Nick
Engine ready to go in
One of the locals came to see what all the racket was
Engine inImage
All finishedImage
Nick fixing the fuel leak

I'm desperately trying to blow mine up now as I'm all jealous of Mels new engine but I think I'll wait for a while to let Nick and Ben recover from this build, well till after christmas anyway :mrgreen:
prosser
Premium Member

Post by prosser »

Bit of Bling

what colour is this i love it is it powder coated ?
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

if it is poweder coated, please, please, please! take the baffle plate off the underside, clean out properly & replace. the shot blast media, jus will not all come out no matter how hard you clean it, but will come loose wih time/heat and oil passin round i & write the engine off.
take that a voice of experience (and seen a couple of times!) it made a complete mess of myold engine & when getting rebuilt, took baffle off & there was STILL a mass of media there even after a number of cleaning baths.
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Bry

Post by Bry »

Steve Horrocks wrote:if it is poweder coated, please, please, please! take the baffle plate off the underside, clean out properly & replace. the shot blast media, jus will not all come out no matter how hard you clean it, but will come loose wih time/heat and oil passin round i & write the engine off.
take that a voice of experience (and seen a couple of times!) it made a complete mess of myold engine & when getting rebuilt, took baffle off & there was STILL a mass of media there even after a number of cleaning baths.

It is a toyota corolla blue. The toyota bodyshop is next to Nicks service bay so he asked them to spray the cam cover in blue the next time they have a blue toyota in for paintwork and that is the colour it turned out to be. I can ask Nick for the paintcode if needed
prosser
Premium Member

Post by prosser »

yes please would be good :thumleft:
prosser
Premium Member

Post by prosser »

did you find out paint code :thumleft:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Steve Horrocks wrote:if it is poweder coated, please, please, please! take the baffle plate off the underside, clean out properly & replace. the shot blast media, jus will not all come out no matter how hard you clean it, but will come loose wih time/heat and oil passin round i & write the engine off.

Steve, I know this is well old, but how do you take the baffle off the rocker cover? I had mine powder coated, and am concerned now, but I thought the baffle was riveted in?
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

rev 3 + is riveted, before that they can unbolt.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Mine's a rev 3 head, so does that mean I shouldn't have had it powder coated?!
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

hope all is going well with the new engine, this is the car tht inspired to get behind the wheel of an mr2. it is absolutely stunning in the flesh and I'm looking forward to having a little bit of sex wee dribble out of I see it at brands hatch again tjis year!
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

hope all is going well with the new engine, this is the car tht inspired to get behind the wheel of an mr2. it is absolutely stunning in the flesh and I'm looking forward to having a little bit of sex wee dribble out of I see it at brands hatch again tjis year!

Return to “Project Cars”