which induction kit??

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pecky

which induction kit??

Post by pecky »

i am looking at either the

Blitz Sus Power Air Filter Lm

K&n 57-9001

A'PEXi Power Intake Filter 3S-GTE Turbo

HKS Super Mega Flow Air Filter

Which would b best for my rev2 turbo?
DannyW

Re: which induction kit??

Post by DannyW »

apexi
steve b

Post by steve b »

any they're all the same effectively
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
craig

Post by craig »

I don't think I'm wrong in saying that the Apexi Induction kit is one of the best out there! :)
The Morris

Post by The Morris »

Mine cost me £34 from ebay. Looks good, sounds great. Dont know if its any good, but then i wouldnt think any of them make much performance difference in a mr2.
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

steve b wrote:any they're all the same effectively

No, they're not. Not in terms of filtration, anyway. And if you've ever seen how badly the compressor gets damaged from bad filtration, you'll appreciate that.

I'd say the Apexi is the best in this respect (and some tests claim it flows the best, too), being paper based. Next I would say would be the K&N. Then the HKS, and lastly the Blitz (although this supposedly flows as well as the Apexi, although probably filters the worst - I can't see how a metal mesh can filter down to micron levels.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

In that case. Anyone want to buy my Blitz SUS? lol

Mikejc
steve b

Post by steve b »

in terms of performance i bet they are near enough the same. The error in the rolling road used to test thems probably higher than the difference in performance :D
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

steve b wrote:in terms of performance i bet they are near enough the same.

Depends if you want long term reliability as well as performance. And then there's the question of whether what you gain from extra flow capability is not outweighed by the fact that you're now drawing in hotter air than you would with the stock airbox.

I've been using a heat barrier to separate my air filter from the engine bay for some time, after doing some real world temp measurements both with and without, and seeing a significant difference in temps at lower speeds. With the barrier, the temps were consistent, but without, the temps were sometimes plain ridiculous.

We've now developed a carbon fibre airbox/shield. Functionality with bling! ;)
summ0004

Post by summ0004 »

Ive had a HKS, and blitz and there is sod all difference between them in terms of power. In fact there isnt that much of a big difference compared to an airbox either, its mostly about noise.

Cant comment on filtration on them, but as long as it filters well enough for the engine i dont see how any theoretical simulated test is relevant.

Paul
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

summ0004 wrote:Ive had a HKS, and blitz and there is sod all difference between them in terms of power. In fact there isnt that much of a big difference compared to an airbox either, its mostly about noise.

We've tested the stock airbox to about 300bhp. So, yes, sometimes a replacement panel filter alone (again, APEXi would be my choice) will do the trick, and still be refined.

Most aftermarket kits introduce a fair bit of noise as you say, and one of the most annoying is a "honking" from the stock BOV which really got on my nerves a lot.

Incindentally, ever wondered why OEMs use paper-based filters? Because they filter the best. ;)
Last edited by MR2Mania on Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

summ0004 wrote:Ive had a HKS, and blitz and there is sod all difference between them in terms of power. In fact there isnt that much of a big difference compared to an airbox either, its mostly about noise.

Cant comment on filtration on them, but as long as it filters well enough for the engine i dont see how any theoretical simulated test is relevant.

Paul

The HKS is practically (in)famous for its bad filtration qualities. Like Dino i've always had my reservations at how good a metal gauze type filter can be as that is exactly what a Blitz is.

Apexi may be good, but for value for money i'd say a K&N is a better deal and the filtration of K&Ns is well proven. I bought my K&N cone filter for £15 new as it was no longer in production (not that i'm bothered about that).

At the end of the day spending over a £100 on a filter is sheer idiocy surely?
stevel

Post by stevel »

We've now developed a carbon fibre airbox/shield. Functionality with bling!

Are you planning to market these or is it a one off? I have been looking for someway to section off my apexi.
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

stevel wrote:
We've now developed a carbon fibre airbox/shield. Functionality with bling!

Are you planning to market these or is it a one off? I have been looking for someway to section off my apexi.

We initially made it as a one-off for me (mine will house my fuel pump and swirl pot, too), but I'm sure if there's demand, then we'll be marketing it.

It's properly manufactured as you'd see in F1, and weighs next to nothing!
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

i think the best option is to replace the standard air filter with something else, that way the plastic can still act as a bit of hear shilding.

i was considering getting the TRD filter at MTTE at one point as it looked good more than anything else :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Chris 'aka rustboy' Ammon wrote:i think the best option is to replace the standard air filter with something else, that way the plastic can still act as a bit of hear shilding.

i was considering getting the TRD filter at MTTE at one point as it looked good more than anything else :D

Function over form everytime Chris when it comes to things like airfilters.
Terry

Post by Terry »

MR2Mania wrote:
steve b wrote:any they're all the same effectively

No, they're not. Not in terms of filtration, anyway. And if you've ever seen how badly the compressor gets damaged from bad filtration, you'll appreciate that.

This is what a dried up HKS filter did to my compressor wheel.

The bits of filter chewed and bent the ends of the blades. :shock:

MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Chris 'aka rustboy' Ammon wrote:i think the best option is to replace the standard air filter with something else, that way the plastic can still act as a bit of hear shilding.

MTTE also do the APEXi drop in filter too, ISTR.
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Terry wrote:This is what a dried up HKS filter did to my compressor wheel.

The bits of filter chewed and bent the ends of the blades. :shock:

Sorry to hear that, mate.

However, if you saw the effects of bad filtration on a compressor wheel, it looks like the wheel's been sand blasted! :shock:
pecky

Post by pecky »

cheers for every1s views, think i wil go with the apexi

Return to “Modifications”