Mk1 - new owner - must do mods?!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Damen

Mk1 - new owner - must do mods?!

Post by Damen »

Is there anything that you would suggest as a must-do mod?
Short of dropping in the 2l turbo engine straight away!! :shock:
Suspension, brakes, body, tyres, wheels, anything!

Tony(and can't remember the other guys name :( ) did my clutch, gearbox and coolant not long after I got the car, so they should be ok.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.. :)
waynestoyotamr2

Re: Mk1 - new owner - must do mods?!

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Get it undersealed :-) Seriously, First thing I would be doing is looking to prevent rust (or invariably, solve existing rust!)

Hmmm, I suppose you could start with a nice stainless steel exhaust and a K&N Air Filter (which does nothing really, but sounds nice!)

Tyres are Laurens department.....!
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Must say I'm very impressed with my Toyo Proxes but I don't have a lot of experience with different tyres.

Would agree with Wayne, get the rust sorted. But then do the suspension, it's not too expensive for a set of KYBs and some springs. Are you going to use the car every day?
Damen

Post by Damen »

No it's a weekend runner really.. so my toy..
My last toy was a Nissan 200sx which I fettled over 2years of ownership up to approx 220Bhp, I realised I was about to spend a shed load more cash so got rid quick.. :)
Very happy with my MR2 so far, just want to see some options of what can be done, to set my juices flowing so to speak.. 8)
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

So the ride height doesn't need to be practical! :lol:

If you would like a nose round my Mk1 (I don't think Dorking is too far from Guildford) you're welcome, I've done a bit to it so might give you some ideas (what not to do)!

Chris
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Damen wrote:Is there anything that you would suggest as a must-do mod?
Short of dropping in the 2l turbo engine straight away!! :shock:
Suspension, brakes, body, tyres, wheels, anything!

Tony(and can't remember the other guys name :( ) did my clutch, gearbox and coolant not long after I got the car, so they should be ok.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.. :)

Damen do as per my other reply to you post (in the other section), mod the suspension as it will totally transform the car. Don't lower the car more than an inch/30mm. Fensport springs and Koni's work incredibly well. With polybushes you won't believe its the same car.

Tyrewise you are limited on stock rim sizes, Eagle F1s are great for the road but not much cop if you ever want to track the car. Just for the record on my new early MK1 i will be fitting Yoko A539s as I honestly don't like to have too much grip, but the key thing with the A539s is they are nice and progressive and will stand up to the odd trackday here and there.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

on that note ive just bought a full prothane bush kit from twosrus in the states,worked out at $140 with the shipping,thats about £80....fensport want double that for the same thing.I got the kit last week and its superb quality,comes with full fitting instructions and even little tubes of lube,cant praise the twosrus bush kit enough.
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Thanks for that tip Paul... I think I'll be wanting a set of bushes for mine.
Damen

Post by Damen »

Thanks Lauren, realised I had double posted thought I might get a better response in here and also it's the correct area here.. :D

Ok, so suspension and airfilter/exhaust seems to be my way forward...

Paul, how many bushes is it? And how easy/hard are they to fit?
I'm quite happy to get my hands dirty and would like to think I've done most things to a car in my day, so I don't scare too easily.. 8)

On the subject of Trackdays, does anyone go reasonably regularly? I'd love to make 2005 a trackday year, I've done a few before but not for a couple of years, and it would be nice to see a recognisable face or two.. :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Damen wrote:Thanks Lauren, realised I had double posted thought I might get a better response in here and also it's the correct area here.. :D

Ok, so suspension and airfilter/exhaust seems to be my way forward...

Paul, how many bushes is it? And how easy/hard are they to fit?
I'm quite happy to get my hands dirty and would like to think I've done most things to a car in my day, so I don't scare too easily.. 8)

On the subject of Trackdays, does anyone go reasonably regularly? I'd love to make 2005 a trackday year, I've done a few before but not for a couple of years, and it would be nice to see a recognisable face or two.. :)

No probs Damen,

I work for BookaTrack.com and have done trackdays for over 4 years as well as racing MK1s among other things. We did an IMOC trackday at Donington last month which went down well.

HTH

Lauren
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Damen wrote:On the subject of Trackdays, does anyone go reasonably regularly? I'd love to make 2005 a trackday year, I've done a few before but not for a couple of years, and it would be nice to see a recognisable face or two.. :)

Damen have a look at this topic as there is a good discussion on what to do to get a MK1 sorted for trackdays. Second page is probably of more interest to you:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

hi damen,you get every bush that is on the car,thats all the suspension points were they meet the chassis and also the steering rack bushes,a pretty comprehensive kit.To be honest removing the current bolts and suspension will be the hardest bit followed by pressing out the old bushes....fitting the new stuff is childsplay and will make an untold difference to the handling.
Damen

Post by Damen »

Thanks Lauren/Paul..
I've read the other thread and clearly I need to give this some thought.. :)
Got a bit of rust around the rear arches so it's about priorities right?! :)

Think I might just got to a trackday as it stands and see how it feels, not happy pushing on the roads, especially around here as they are so crap..

Return to “Modifications”