Engine Shroud with Dual 11" Spals

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gtech

Engine Shroud with Dual 11" Spals

Post by gtech »

*** FINAL PRICES ANNOUNCED, SEE PAGE 3 ***

I am currently working on a shroud for the tubby engine cover, the finish will be in Mirror Polished stainless steel and will accommodate twin 11" Spal fans for extracting hot air from the engine bay. These are rated at nearly 1150cfm each.

Before I go too much further I need to get any idea of HOW MANY potential buyers there are out in the big wide world, so I can get some final engineering prices.

The aim will be to keep the cost a fair bit under £200, and that will include the Shroud, 2 Fans and Relay. Fitting/Wiring instructions will be supplied.

There will also be an option for powder coating in whichever colour you choose, there would be an additional charge for this.

The final design will be slightly different to the pictures shown, in that where the brackets fit, the final design will have a more rounded finish and look more OEM (see final pic).

So, if this is something you would definately purchase once available, could you indicate your interest by adding your name to the list so I can get an idea of numbers: (copy, add & paste list in new post)
Last edited by gtech on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
gtech

Re: Engine Shroud with Dual 11" Spals

Post by gtech »

List of Potential Buyers:

1. Gtech
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
LuizeGT

Post by LuizeGT »

ive just bought one from KO racing for £260!! dam you haha
gtech

Post by gtech »

Ahhhh damm, sorry Luize, been working on this for a few weeks, wanted to make sure I can do them for a rock bottom price ....sorry about that.
LuizeGT

Post by LuizeGT »

no worries, keep up the good work :thumleft:
oddshoes

Post by oddshoes »

Best of luck with this as I am interested in this and will be watching

Dave :thumleft:
Daemonslayer

Post by Daemonslayer »

I would be interessted but need more infos about that.till now i dont have the Turbo engine lid.-just the normal one.
when i buy a turbo engine lid is this shroud all i need to cover the inside of the lid?
let me know if this is going to be sold.
gtech

Post by gtech »

Daemonslayer wrote:I would be interessted but need more infos about that.till now i dont have the Turbo engine lid.-just the normal one.
when i buy a turbo engine lid is this shroud all i need to cover the inside of the lid?
let me know if this is going to be sold.

Hi Bud,

This is DEFINATELY 100% to be sold, and will be ready within the next couple of weeks.

This will be a direct bolt on replacement for the Tubby undercover on the Tubby engine lid. Spal fans shift somewhere in the region of 1150cfm each, so its gonna rip the heat out of the engine bay :-)

There will also be an option for powder coating in any colour, incl some special bling powder coating, but obviously that will be an additional cost.

Graeme
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

dont want to be funny and im not having a poke but whats this

:LINKY

it looks exactly the same but yours has a fifty quid markup?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Tiny wrote::LINKY

it looks exactly the same but yours has a fifty quid markup?

If you have a look again at the page you posted, the price quoted is just for the shroud - the fans are a $100 option. That would make it around £150 and comparable to Gtech's target price even before shipping, import duty and VAT are added.

The mirror polish finish is also an extra $50.

Patrick
gtech

Post by gtech »

Thanks for that Patrick, as you so rightly explained, EMS Powered has additional costs.

:thumleft:
Baktasht

Post by Baktasht »

Hi guys, just wanted to chime in here. Graeme is actually helping us to produce these for you guys in the European market to save you some money. With items this large, the shipping costs would be quite high to get them to the UK from the USA. Graeme is helping out here to get these to you guys at a reasonable cost, just like he did with his previous group buy for the boost gauges which was a great success.

Baktash
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Fans with black powder coated Shroud $300 = £150 plus shipping

your charging about £200 and for a powdercoated finish its gonna be extra
Yes shipping import etc is going to push the price up but probably not that much.

i am not having a go i was just pointing out that this seemed to be quite high in comparison.
gtech

Post by gtech »

Okay,

Just to clarify.........................

This POTENTIAL group buy, was to sound out HOW MANY people would be interested. The more in the GB the cheaper it will be, hence my statement "The aim will be to keep the cost a fair bit under £200, and that will include the Shroud, 2 Fans and Relay. Fitting/Wiring instructions will be supplied"

There was NO confirmed price stated or implied.

As for Powder coating, yes EMSP do offer BLACK powder Coating.

What I actually stated was that powder coating would be available in ANY COLOUR, but at extra cost.

Also, EMSP are charging and additional $50 for Mirror polished finish..... I am not.....so its swings and roundabouts.

At the end of the day, I was trying to get together a product here in the UK, where we are not going to run the risk of IMPORT DUTY, which a lot of people forget about.......sending the cost even higher.

If people are unhappy about the pricing, they dont have to buy. It might well be there is 30 potential buyers and the price comes out at £120 each....who knows, by the same token I may be the only buyer....so be it.

I put the post up to gauge interest, not to try and pit myself against an affiliate......this is a business to them......its a hobby to me and just trying to get people a decent price.

You cannot please all of the people all of the time!!
oddshoes

Post by oddshoes »

I could be wrong but surely the mirror finish would be better as it would reflect the heat around the engine bay allowing the fans to have a better chance of removing the heat, where as a powder coated surface would more than like absorb the heat and the fans wouldnt be as effeicent in getting rid of the heat.

If you take into account the shipping cost of roughly £50 plus import tax being 17.5% (VAT) that will be another £35 at a guess, totalling a rough guess of a futher £85 on top the price EMS stated then this looks a good deal that is why i am interested :thumleft: though I was looking at EMS site and KO racing one as well before I saw this thread

This is not meant to upset anyone just explain my reason why i am interested :D

Edit

g-tech well done to you fella as there are many people that will try this
Baktasht

Post by Baktasht »

The cooling ability of the mirror polish versus the black powdercoated ones will be no different. These do not act as heat "shields", these are simply fan shrouds that are meant to house the fans. The actual cooling is performed by the fans themselves. The black versus polished is simply a personal preference in how they look.

Also, as Graeme mentioned, the price is not set in stone, it will mostly be dependant on how many people join in on the group buy. The cost will almost certainly be different for manufacturing 1-5 units versus something larger like 15 or 30 units.
thebody

Post by thebody »

I may be interested in one :thumleft:
irish_dan

Post by irish_dan »

List of Potential Buyers:

1. Gtech
2. irish_dan

I might not have the money til mid September though. If thats too long to wait then I can pull out.

Cheers.

:thumleft:
gtech

Post by gtech »

Thanks for the support guys, should have the production model with me and installed this week, I can then place the order to have a load made up. Will keep you posted of events.

Graeme
LuizeGT

Post by LuizeGT »

just my input here.
my KO racing one cost £60 to send plus £28.50 in customs ontop of the list price on the site.

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”