TYRES!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dazza9t9

TYRES!!

Post by dazza9t9 »

Im looking at some new tyres for my rev one tubby (im down sizing from 17" to 15")

im looking at some Kumho tyres, they seem to be top notch, but has anyone used them?
what are they like? or would people generaly stay with the likes or toyo's etc etc

any help would be greatful!!
biscuitsbrown

Re: TYRES!!

Post by biscuitsbrown »

Hello mate, I've not had either but I've had BF Goodrich, Michilin Pilot Sports and Goodyear Eagle F1! BF are made by Michilin and Ok, Pilot sports are very good but Eagle F1's are even better still! You can get them for a reasonable price at either mytyres.com or topgear.co.uk!

Regards Stu :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

SO3s would be your best bet.

F1s are good for road use, but not much cop on track.

So if its road use, either SO3s or F1s basically.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I've used Eagle F1s before on the MR2 and managed to get through a set in 2500 miles.
I'm now on my second set of Falken FK451s and have to report that they are excellent. This usually sparks an argument :P but I am just giving my opinion..

Jim
Baker

Post by Baker »

just wanna add that going from 17's to 15's is a good idea. just done the same and handling, ride comfort, noise, has got much better. dont look as good tho. car now dont bounce round corners like it used to do.
Castlegrayskull

Post by Castlegrayskull »

just out of interest ... are you selling your alloys ??

could be looking to buy some myself??

I wanna go from 15" to 17" ... for all the wrong reasons :D
dazza9t9

Post by dazza9t9 »

well i booked my car in beofre reading your comments!! it was gonna have yokohammer on but i changed it after speaking to a mate and got pirelli instead!!
anyone got them?

PLEASE DONT SAY THEY ARE CRAP!! ha ha ha

yeah im looking forward to seeing how the car handles with the 15's on! the car has 17s on when i got it a few weeks ago!

i will have a set of 17's too after i have done most other things depending on how these 15's feel!
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

I've got Pirelli Pzeros on the rear, previous ones were Yokohamas.
Yokos had superb grip in the dry, but in the wet never told you when they were about to lose grip (not that I've ever spun the 2 - touch wood...).
Pzeros have good grip in the dry (not as good as the Yokos) and reasonable grip in the wet (better than the Yokos) - overall I prefer them to the Yokos because you can feel when they're about to lose grip :)
Last edited by JohnnyC on Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dazza9t9

Post by dazza9t9 »

i had the car 2 days and spun it! but i am putting that down to a corner coverd in oil and hardly any tred on the rears!! but aint even come close since then........ luck i didnt hit anything, and as i just bought the car n it was my 1st RWD it showed me it cuold be done!!!

I love the car tho. i always have a smile on my face when i am driving it! i just cant wait to get the few probs done with the suspension and the 15" wheels on with the good tyres!!
Rory

Post by Rory »

Ive just had 2 new tyres Yokos A022s fitted to my rear tyres today. (225 50 15) I used etyres.co.uk . They came to my house on the time/date I requested and fitted/balanced my tyres. 2 new rear tyres came to about £188 fitted and balanced. Quickfit wanted £150 per tyre!!! I would definatly recomend them. Ive moved from 15" to 17" rims on other cars in the past and you definatly loose a bit of handeling! Youll definatly notice the difference coming back to 15". Good luck

Rory
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

dazza9t9 wrote:i had the car 2 days and spun it! but i am putting that down to a corner coverd in oil and hardly any tred on the rears!! but aint even come close since then........ luck i didnt hit anything, and as i just bought the car n it was my 1st RWD it showed me it cuold be done!!!

Similar thing driving my Supe home the first time after buying it:

Carefully, carefully, carefully... slowly to T-junction... nothing coming... pull out... light throttle... BWAAAAAP! back end out ;-)

It's all fun... as long as nothing nothing gets bent!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Rory wrote:Ive just had 2 new tyres Yokos A022s fitted to my rear tyres today. (225 50 15) I used etyres.co.uk . They came to my house on the time/date I requested and fitted/balanced my tyres. 2 new rear tyres came to about £188 fitted and balanced. Quickfit wanted £150 per tyre!!! I would definatly recomend them. Ive moved from 15" to 17" rims on other cars in the past and you definatly loose a bit of handeling! Youll definatly notice the difference coming back to 15". Good luck

Rory

yeah I have a pair of A022's on the back and the grip in the dry is amazing but as johnnyc said the grip in the wet aint as hot as F1's, cant compare to Pzeros as never used them

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”