My Roadster Turbo mapped at Thor - results and pictures

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Slacey

My Roadster Turbo mapped at Thor - results and pictures

Post by Slacey »

Friday the 20th saw me take a trip down to Thor to get my Hass equipped car mapped as I wasn't 100% confident in the car while running a US tuned map. From what I'd heard from a number of US owners the map supplied was running quite lean to up the power figures, but I was a little more interested in my engine lasting a while longer! This was later confirmed when a run on the original map had the entire manifold glowing red hot :shock:

As for the map, it worked out nicely - I asked for a reasonably safe tune, with a map that would take me up to 10psi on pump super unleaded with ease.

The power figure came up nicely in the end, being as follows:

Horsepower:

6psi = 235 at the flywheel, 202 at the wheels
8psi = 251 at the flywheel, 215 at the wheels
9.7psi = 263 at the flywheel, 225 at the wheels

Torque:

6psi = 187ftlb at the flywheel, 160ftlb at the wheels
8psi = 202ftlb at the flywheel, 173ftlb at the wheels
9.7psi = 223ftlb at the flywheel, 191ftlb at the wheels

Overall I am happy with those, and it gives us the potential to tweak further as confidence / no broken bits grows.

The pics -

Torque (left side) and HP (right side)

A trace of the boost levels

Torque (left side) and AFR's (right side)

Last edited by Slacey on Mon May 23, 2005 8:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Slacey

Re: My Roadster Turbo mapped at Thor - results and pictures

Post by Slacey »

Just a quick note as well to say thanks to Pete and Nod, this is the first time I have been to have a car mapped and the guys filled me with a lot of confidence, their professionalism was obvious.

Definately recommended :D =D>
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Great post - its really good to see some dyno figures from the first UK Hass Autoworks Turbo conversion. I had a ride in Slacey's car when I was looking to do my Turbo project, and I've got to say it feels as quick as those numbers suggest - it was what confirmed to me that this was the way to go :)

For comparison - a Roadster weighing around 1000kgs with the turbo conversion at 10psi gives you 250bhp/tonne. A Mk2 Turbo would need to be tuned to around 330bhp to get a similar power to weight ratio :shock:

I was hoping that my PE Turbo conversion that Millway are installing would be ready for Saturday, but it looks like Tuesday now. I can't wait to get it back and see how the car feels ..

One thought though ... how do you handle knock detection and prevention? That's the last piece of the puzzle that I've got to sort on my conversion.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

ho ho that's gotta be a seriously quick mk3. Well done :D
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

BenF wrote:One thought though ... how do you handle knock detection and prevention? That's the last piece of the puzzle that I've got to sort on my conversion.

One knocklink kit and a small lift of the right foot when the red led flashes :D Seriously we have dyno tested these agaisnt the det cans and have found them to be spot on.

Go here http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Link-53.asp and to have a read up follow the link to Link's website off of the "info" button.

Nod.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

great results =D> \:D/ :D
must be such a fun car to drive
Slacey

Post by Slacey »

quigonjay wrote:must be such a fun car to drive

It is! Pete seemed to like it too :wink:

As for the knock question Ben, I haven't physicaly heard any detonation and Pete didn't mention hearing any on the det cans either, so I'm not too worried although in very hot weather I may drop the boost just to be sure. I have looked at that link Nod posted above, and the knocklink thing looks pretty good. Time to save more pennies! :roll:
craig

Post by craig »

Very Very nice MK3!!!!! =P~ =P~
George@max

Thor Racing

Post by George@max »

I had my Rev 1 Turbo tuned by Thor and they did an excellent job.

The car was running with ECU problems and was boost spiking to around 20PSI and then dropping off to around 7PSI. Not good.

They converted my Rev 1 to a Rev 3 spec, by removing the airflow meter and adding a MAP sensor. They also changed the igniter and coil for Rev 3 items.

After this a LINK XLEM standalone ECU was installed and the car mapped by Nod and Pete at Thor.

It went in making 218bhp at the wheels and left making 270bhp. WHich equates to around 320bhp at the flywheel.

Pete was really impressed with the power the car was making and as you can guess so am I.

I can highly recommend the guys at Thor they did a top job.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

THOR-Racing wrote:
BenF wrote:One thought though ... how do you handle knock detection and prevention? That's the last piece of the puzzle that I've got to sort on my conversion.

One knocklink kit and a small lift of the right foot when the red led flashes :D Seriously we have dyno tested these agaisnt the det cans and have found them to be spot on.

Go here http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Link-53.asp and to have a read up follow the link to Link's website off of the "info" button.

Nod.

Cheers Nod. Do these have to be setup though for the electrical characterisitics of knock sensor on each car (eg Rev1/2 or 3+ on Mk2s, Roadster sensor on Mk3 etc) or are they a generic fit and forget?

I got quite good at listening out for det on my MK2 but I'm wondering how different it will sound on the Roadster ..

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”