Fuse keeps blowing and no power?????

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Corsa Killa

Fuse keeps blowing and no power?????

Post by Corsa Killa »

After suffering a flat battery for about 2 weeks I finally got round to buying a new one the other day. As soon as i fitted the new battery the "DOME" 15A fuse blew, so i replaced it. The same thing happend again, it blew! And I still have no power what-so-ever in the car!!!
Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Many thanks,

Andy.
raptor95GTS

Re: Fuse keeps blowing and no power?????

Post by raptor95GTS »

not knowing my fuses dude, where is this puppy located and I'll check the old BGB for clues

edit ok have checked the old BGB

That DOME fuse is for the factory anti theft circuit which might explain the odd gremlins you are having. I am assuming you have the toyota fitted alarm system?

Andy, there is a garage in Partick, Patrick Auto Electrics would you believe just in Apsley Lane who I can't recommend enough number is 0141-334-9964
Corsa Killa

Post by Corsa Killa »

Thanks for that mate, i 'll need to give them a call.
Ive got a toad Ai606, but my old man did mention that he thought it went off the other night and when my battery died the alarm and the lights were going like a Saturday at the Savoy! :lol:
do you know if the garage have a mobile unit?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

dunno about the mobile unit. What happens if you leave the fuse out and try to start the car? Anything
Corsa Killa

Post by Corsa Killa »

Not a sausage mate. no power at all! :?
You heard about the meet on the 16th?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

sounds like the alarm has gone belly up buddy, immobilised the whole darned thing.

heard about the 16th, my own tubby has a bust thermostat and a rounded nut on the housing so going to Marc's on Monday to get it fixed (hopefully). I'll see if I can make the 16th though
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

Ah the good old 15A DOME fuse.

Check your stereo - I imagine you have an aftermarket one. When I had wired mine all together - removed all the standard amps and wiring etc, the fuse kept blowing. Found out it was a short in the power wires to the stero - worth a look - as if you still have the standard wiring, amps etc. It runs all the way through the centre console of the car towards behind the passenger seat.

Check all this and the crounding on the amps and sub. I reckon this may be your problem.

HTH
Corsa Killa

Post by Corsa Killa »

Ive still got the standard stereo mate?

Allan, let me know if your going. hopefully I'll have a solution to my problem by then! :cry:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Corsa Killa wrote:Ive still got the standard stereo mate?

Allan, let me know if your going. hopefully I'll have a solution to my problem by then! :cry:

remove the fuses for the stereo and see if that makes a difference, just in case
Corsa Killa

Post by Corsa Killa »

And those are where? :?
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

So its all standard wiring then I presume. Could easily be a short, as the DOME fuse controls stereo and cig lighter - afaik.

Look in the BGB, you'll be able to trace the wiring back to the fuses Definately sounds like a short somewhere. I'd expect behind the stereo somewhere or near the amp on the passenger side.

You haven't added anything recently have you? Gauges, anything that runs off the cig lighter etc?
Corsa Killa

Post by Corsa Killa »

not added anything for a few months, last thing was the TT.
i had a spark look at it today and hes got it running, just. i need to take it down to his garage tomorrow to get it seen to properly, but guess what?
Looks like it is a short!
hopefully it wont cost me an arm and a leg :?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Corsa Killa wrote:not added anything for a few months, last thing was the TT.
i had a spark look at it today and hes got it running, just. i need to take it down to his garage tomorrow to get it seen to properly, but guess what?
Looks like it is a short!
hopefully it wont cost me an arm and a leg :?

well the turbo timer will hack into the main wiring so always a source of future problems

Go to that guy in partick

Return to “Electrical”