Old Forum Postings

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MattMR2

Old Forum Postings

Post by MattMR2 »

Are there any plans to add the postings from the old forum to this one?

It seems there was some useful info that has now been lost :-k
Aidy

Re: Old Forum Postings

Post by Aidy »

I still have a copy of the last few months, but it would be a fair job for something to go through and see if there is any useful info to be gained. If someone wants them then to trawl through I could generate static pages that could be searched for info.
Jon M

Post by Jon M »

Hmm I did send a message to the web team some time ago asking if they had a recent copy of the database. I was offering to go through it and create a searchable archive from it because I thought it would be really useful. Never got a reply so I assumed all the data was lost, but if it's available then I think it would be a good idea. I'm still happy to have a go at it if nobody else has the time or inclination!

Jon
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

Jon M wrote:Hmm I did send a message to the web team some time ago asking if they had a recent copy of the database. I was offering to go through it and create a searchable archive from it because I thought it would be really useful. Never got a reply so I assumed all the data was lost, but if it's available then I think it would be a good idea. I'm still happy to have a go at it if nobody else has the time or inclination!

Jon

Well if you're willing to do the leg work I'll get you a static copy of the threads I have. Should only take a few mins to knock something up to extract the data.
MattMR2

Post by MattMR2 »

Ah I see.

I thought it would be a case of writing a software application to rip out all the posts from the old database and insert them as posts in the new database.

Or maybe the new database has some sort of data migration tool?

Of course I have no idea how all the data is stored so I'm making assumptions :-k
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

MattMR2 wrote:Ah I see.

I thought it would be a case of writing a software application to rip out all the posts from the old database and insert them as posts in the new database.

Or maybe the new database has some sort of data migration tool?

Of course I have no idea how all the data is stored so I'm making assumptions :-k

That would be possible, but the problem is marrying up the posts to a user on this forum. It would be far too much work to map everyone's posts correctly, so the alternative would be to have all posts under a set account.

The data could be extracted in any format needed but you're right in that something will need to be written to migrate the posts. If someone could find some kind of migration add-on to phpBB then that could be used to do the work.

TBH I doubt it would add much to the forum. Going through the threads to see if there is any techie data/how-tos etc would be good cos they could be added to the KB though.
Jon M

Post by Jon M »

The problem with inserting them into the new forums, would be that everyone now has a new login name, so it would be impossible to match them up with the person who originally sent them.

Links to pictures and such that were hosted on the old site won't work (like the new knowledge base pages that have been copied across) but the text content will still be there and still very useful.

Aidy if you send me a copy of the data I'll try and put something together over the next couple of weeks. Cheers

Jon
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Jon M wrote:Hmm I did send a message to the web team some time ago asking if they had a recent copy of the database. I was offering to go through it and create a searchable archive from it because I thought it would be really useful. Never got a reply so I assumed all the data was lost, but if it's available then I think it would be a good idea. I'm still happy to have a go at it if nobody else has the time or inclination!

Jon

Oppsss...remember something about that...thought Ben got back to you??
MattMR2

Post by MattMR2 »

Ah, I now see the problem of marrying up the old users to the new users.
Yes, some 'Archive' user could be created for the purpose as you say.

I'm sure you guys know what you are doing.
I'm not familiar with PHP.

I figured there might be something like the 'Data Transformation Services' that SQL Server offers.

Thanks.
Jon M

Post by Jon M »

Oppsss...remember something about that...thought Ben got back to you??

No, at least nothing that I received! I assumed the data was lost or there was no interest, still think it would be a good idea though and I'm quite happy to do the work, knowing how busy you are with the rest of the site!

Jon
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Be great if you could...best idea I think would be a hidden forum for archive stuff. That way it will not show up on the front page but still be searchable.

If you need any help let me know. We can test this on the test server first to make sure we get it all right.
Jon M

Post by Jon M »

Will do, once I get the data and figure out the structure, I'll get in touch to discuss the best way to integrate it into the site.

Jon
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Jon M wrote:Will do, once I get the data and figure out the structure, I'll get in touch to discuss the best way to integrate it into the site.

Jon

Jon, I thought we had discussed this at the back end of last year - if not, no worries - drop me an email to [email protected] and I can pass you the info you need.

FWIW I'm also looking into importing the messages from the IMOC-UK Email list as well ..
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

Jon M, YHPM

Return to “Club News and Announcements”