[Mk2] [Generic] Fitting a double din

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Libertine

[Mk2] [Generic] Fitting a double din

Post by Libertine »

Anybody any idea how hard this is ? or what size I need to measure in ? i'm looking for a touch screen one.. but I dont know the measurements.. Any advice at all would help..

looking for a good double din for £150 or under

thanks
Tekkigizmo

Double din size =

Post by Tekkigizmo »

Double din size = 180mm X 100mm. Single din = 180mm X 50mm.
180mm is the width and 100mm or 50mm is the hight. The depth can vary dependant on make and model.
The front panel/screen of the head unit may be bigger, the same size or slightly smaller than the main unit and if it is moveable, ie to insert a CD etc, the front panel could project from the facia by some tens of millimetres, and may also come close or hit the gear stick which could be and issue with safety.

How hard is it to fit? Their is no simple answer as it depends on many things, like have you fitted a head unit into a car before? I don't mean plug and play. Do you know what wire does what and where it should go and why?

Are you going to use the head units own amplifier or the active system fitted in the car or use an aftermarket single amp or multiple amps?

My advice would be if you don't know what your doing have someone that does install it for you.

Finally you may struggle to find a touch screen double din head unit of reasonable quality for £150 or less.

Currently fitting a new complete system in my own mk2
Libertine

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Fitting a double din

Post by Libertine »

Thanks for the detailed reply..
I'm looking at the new xtrons system from ebay.. know anything about them?

will it fit ok ?
Tekkigizmo

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Fitting a double din

Post by Tekkigizmo »

Ok i've read a few reviews on the Xtrons but they were mostly bad with things like sound quality, radio reception and the user interface being the main reasons, but I've not had a chance to play with one to judge for myself.
45W X 4 maximum power = 15W X 4 RMS approximately but that's at full volume, the specifications don't state a (THD) total harmonic distortion figure and that could lead you to believe it's quite high so a 70% limit on the volume knob seems reasonable that leaves 10-11W per channel.
To compare I'm only using the front speakers for my system rated at 110W per channel RMS or 330W peak power and the head unit I will be fitting soon is an Alpine INE-W928R 8.0" Double DIN DVD/CD/MP3/USB Monitor with European GPS Mapping.
I've done the calculations and an 8 inch screen will fit but with significant modifications including recessing the head unit further into the facia to achieve a flush fit factory look.

A 7" inch screen should fit without modification but may protrude from the facia a bit.

My advice would be is to save your money and buy a make that is more well known with better reviews and much better specifications for only a little more money.
Also I don't know what is important to you, what do you want out of your in car entertainment? If it's just the 7" inch screen then the Xtrons fills that in all respects, but for me personally as I drive the car the sound quality and ease of use are most important price is also a factor ( I don't like paying for the name) to some degree, my passenger may feel the screen resolution and how loud it goes is more important to them.

If you would like any further information like, why only 70% of the volume etc, then please let me know.

Return to “ICE and Security”