Head unit probs HELP!!

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Gaz!

Head unit probs HELP!!

Post by Gaz! »

Hi all,im new to the site only got my 2 week ago.Trying to replace head unit,oh my god wish id never botherd.Had to cos old one was spittin out all cd's.So went down to halfrauds got a universal(one size fits B**** all)DIN pocket,had to change it cos they gave me 2 left brackets!! Same time ordered adaptor lead(pc-9-411)but its got an extra lead,a blue and white one(not remote lead)coming from toyota plug?? Any ideas?
Also unit cage wont fit!!! Gona have to shave the hole down.Nothings ever simple is it! Any views? :x
Rick

Re: Head unit probs HELP!!

Post by Rick »

I feel your pain. This link may offer some help.

If not i'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will be around in a minute.

Good luck :)
Jay

Post by Jay »

Hi,

I just fitted a Sony Head unit to my '2 and it wasn’t that much of a nightmare to be honest.

All I needed was a Universal Din socket (bought at halfrauds), Head unit and the original brackets to hold the stereo and Din pocket in place. Oh and not forgetting the ISO connector. It was a standard ISO for none active speakers. I think you can buy two i'm not sure you will have to check.

I never used the Head unit cage as the stereo bolted right in, using the original brackets.

Hope this helps

Jay
Gaz!

Post by Gaz! »

Well its nearly there!? Had some teething probs yesterda! Pluged in new sterio,airel went up no power to head unit,then plug airel lead in,airel went down??? Bit of work with a multimeter found out its earthed thru airel,so chopped into earth lead on new harness and earthed it. That solved that problem.Now ive got no sound with the RCA leads hooked up?
After much fault finding found the RCA leads (on the new harness tha ive just bought for 30 quid) are cross wired!! So thats going back and start again with a new one!! :pale:
Will this pain never end!?
Cheers mate i binned the cage and bolted sterio and pocket to old brakets, nice one! :thumright:
speedy_g

Post by speedy_g »

Just do it the old fashioned way with terminal blocks, at least you know what you're connecting to what, and they don't cost you a small fortune!
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Hi,

It sounds like you have the wrong lead mate. there are two types of system in the Mr2. One is for an Active system and the other for the standard system.

You dont need the cage or a fitting adapter, just screw the standard brackets to the head unit then screw the brackets into the car.

Cheers,

Paul.
Paul Cawston

Post by Paul Cawston »

[quote="Gaz!"]
After much fault finding found the RCA leads (on the new harness tha ive just bought for 30 quid) are cross wired!! So thats going back and start again with a new one!! quote]

Hi mate,

Does this mean that I should avoid the lead that they do at halfrauds,
Or was is just a duff 1 off?

I'm about to do the same a nd fit a new head unit,
I have a 1994 MK2 so I think it's the same as yours.

Any tips mate now you have got it sorted?

Cheers dude
Gaz!

Post by Gaz! »

Yeah mate,just a duff oneoff. Got another one and all was fine,well apart from taking half aday of fiddling with the settings to get any sound out of it!You will need to cut the earth lead on the new loom and earth it out, cos of the ariel being an earth as well! But that may just be my head unit?
Top tip tho make sure the rca leads are properly conected if not you get a whistling niose,i taped them upto stop them from coming apart!
hope that helps mate. Gaz 8)

Return to “ICE and Security”