Clutch Issue???

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stuyw

Clutch Issue???

Post by stuyw »

Hi,

Got a real weird problem here...

when it comes to use the clutch pedal, after a long journey, it will drop to the floor, and i have to lift it up with my foot, and pump the pedal a couple of times and then its ok if i then constantly use the clutch..

If its just short trips and im using the clutch often, there are no issues..

Any ideas?.. Some people i asked about this, said it couple be master cylinder??

cheers

Stu
wabbitkilla

Re: Clutch Issue???

Post by wabbitkilla »

Could be the master cylinder or a leak in the system.

Check the level of the flui (you will need to remove the frunk plastics for this. Also check if your car falls into the recall group of chassis numbers - they were recalled and had their master cylinders fixed/replaced FOC.
greglebon

Re: Clutch Issue???

Post by greglebon »

Thats VERY interesting...! :D

I've just driven back from Durham to Sussex: a 330 mile trip, virtuall ALL motorway......in fact, I kid you not, with the V6 I can drive virtually all the way in 5th gear......! :lol:

However, when I got near the M23 today, I had that exact problem: having not used the clutch for around 2 hours, when I went to change down for a queue, the pedal went down 50% with no resistance, and I was barely able to select gear.... :? It was working, but only in the bottom 50% of its travel.....?

It did go in, but despite pumping the pedal a fair bit, it got worse, and finally just as I was going down the slip road onto the M23, it failed altogether.... :cry:

I was able to park up on the hard shoulder without any dramas, and as I was fumbling for my RAC card, I happened to press ther clutch pedal, and hey-presto: resistance...! \:D/

I started the engine again, selected a few gears: all seemed well, so I set off on the final leg of the trip.. :pray:

It did sort of do it again nearer home, but this time it was only about 10 mins in 5th, and it DID go into gear.....

So,,its a known problem, then......?

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”