ever thought, if I had been two seconds later

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

whitty

ever thought, if I had been two seconds later

Post by whitty »

was driving home last night from work

saw a young lad on his BMX bunny hopping on and off the pavement on the opposite side of the road coming towards me.

I was driving at 30 in a 30 ( a rare occasion) coz I was knackered from work and quite happy to just listen to my n/a rumble down the road

the lad bunny hopped of the kerb as we passed each other, landed funny and ditched the bike in the middle of the road he ended up falling on to my side of the road behind me :shock:

If I had been 2 seconds later to drive past him I could have killed him or at least seriously injured him, his head would have been level with my bumper! ouch

that shook me up a bit,

just wanted to share the experience and wondered if anyone else had had anything similar????
speedy_g

Re: ever thought, if I had been two seconds later

Post by speedy_g »

So in theory, If you'd have been driving at a safer speed, say 25mph, you'd have been 2sec later and have killed him!
BLOODUK

Post by BLOODUK »

If he was a chav i wouldve thought... Damn missed him :lol:
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

Yes...a couple of times a 'sixth sense' has made me hesitate crossing a junction and people have jumped the red lights which would have caused a horrific accident had I pulled away a sharply as I was within my rights to :shock:
aaronjb

Post by aaronjb »

Yeah - years ago, driving my trusty (cough) company Metro (with it's lovely 1.4 non-turbo oil burner engine) out from Pocklington to Whitby..

Going over the same bit of road I had done umpteen times before, I found myself driving down the left hand grass verge on a left hand bend (which is a tad odd).. Being inexperienced at the time, I jumped on the brakes - which resulted in the car catapulting across the road to the other grass verge (because the wheels on the road gripped, and the ones on the grass didn't..).

Hit the opposite verge almost head on, bounced up in the air, span around about 225degrees and landed with the front wheels parked up against the grass verge and in the road, and the back wheels in a ditch - would have been a great bit of parking had it been planned ;)

Turned the engine off, got out.. looked down the road and there was a Luton van about 600yds away.. had he been a bit closer, he'd have hit me either smack on the passenger side, or smack on the drivers side..

Oh and, FWIW, when the garage did the damage assessment - they found that the front subframe was split and in two halves.. but had been like that for 'some time' since the break was well rusted.. I have a feeling it had finally parted company that morning, which explains why the car felt so 'vague' and wanted to wander off the road in random directions.

'course, having only been driving for 6 months, guess who got the blame on that one? ;)
Steve_Rutter

Post by Steve_Rutter »

If you'd have been two seconds later surely he wouldn't have jumped off the path, he must have jumped off as your car passed him.

Had a similar thing the other day, pitch black area at a T-junction after i dropped my GF off at night, looked left then right and pulled out of the junction, only to notice that i'd barely missed a cyclist riding right in front of my car with absolutely no lights on, had i pulled out half a second earlier I would have clipped his back wheel or worse.
whitty

Post by whitty »

funny thing was he wasnt trying to cross the road he was just kinda showing off, jumping on and off the kerb

I had spotted him before I passed him doing it and I thought, wow, wish I could do that, I would probably fall off

and then he fell off :lol:

I drive along that road everyday, so sometimes Im just on auto pilot,

Im staying focused again on the way to and from work, we will see how long it lasts :wink:
top_gear_towers

Post by top_gear_towers »

There is a long straight road on my way home from work - only a few minutes from my house.

Normally I go down it at a fair old trot, its residential, but a BIG road.

One evening I turn onto it, no traffic and crawl down it - literally doing 15-20mph.

At the moment, I put it down to just wanting to chill out (like when you decide to sit in the slow lane on the motorway at 60mph for no reason)

Halfway down the road, a football bounces in front of the car, immediately followed by a small kid. 15mph to stop took hardly a couple of metres, and the kid and ball were frozen rabbit-like at the end of my bonnet.

At 30mph I would have hit him, wouldn't have been my fault, but that wouldn't make any difference.
crawley boy

Post by crawley boy »

Driving to my parents in a fiesta a bloke actually walked into the side of my moving car.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

crawley boy wrote:Driving to my parents in a fiesta a bloke actually walked into the side of my moving car.

lol!!

how about blonkers you open there parked car doors without looking to see whether cars are going to overtake!!

nearly took someones door off the other day!
Rogue_zero

Post by Rogue_zero »

crawley boy wrote:Driving to my parents in a fiesta a bloke actually walked into the side of my moving car.

Ive seen that happen!

Return to “Driving Experiences”