Feedback from J5 @ BookaTrack + Next trackday thread

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Feedback from J5 @ BookaTrack + Next trackday thread

Post by Lauren »

Jonny wrote:
The elvington track day was one of the best we've run for some time - the standard of driving was excellent (even more so when you consider the limited track experience of many of the drivers) and I witnessed some of the most courteous driving i've ever seen while out giving hot laps in the Caterham. Howie (our instructor) was busy all day - which is always a good sign and tells me there were no ego's out there and most drivers were sensible and knew their own limits.

The open pit lane worked really well (I have to confess it was a concern initially with a fully subscribed day) and i'd have no hesitations in running a similar format for the IMOC crowd again.
jonnyleroux: I hope everyone enjoyed themselves as much as we did at BaT and look forward to organising another day for IMOC again soon.

cheers,

Jonny
BaT
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Feedback from J5 @ BookaTrack + Next trackday thread

Post by Lauren »

Okay people, now is a good time to think about the next IMOC trackday.

Am expecting a date around March-May.. before the end of April circuit prices are a little cheaper as its in the winter season still.

Obviously if people wanted we could go back to Elv no problem.

Other possibilities are of course Angersea which isn't that much more expensive and the really good thing at Angersea is if we can get it organised we could hire a cottage to ourselves and make a weekend of it, so a bit of a party could happen. This makes sense as its a long way for most to travel.

Angersea is a top, top little circuit, its fairly short being just over a mile in length but is perfectly formed. Think this would make a top weekend if we could get a cottage organised.

Other options are Donny and Croft as i see it. These venues tend to be a bit more expensive @ £150-£175ish for the day. Both are brilliant circuits.

Mallory is also a possibility and should be similar price to Angersea @ around £135.

I haven't got any dates yet, will need to talk to Jonny in detail about this. I would welcome any comments you have about future trackdays.
anna

Post by anna »

hmmmm....

Elvington - been there done that - would prefer to go somewhere,er, a little less bumpy :)

Anglesey - Could be good - and could have a good social side as well if a cottage was hired and a party organised. That way we could have saturday out on track, then par-tay with Sunday left for a lie in and slow drive back home. Unless you were thinking of a double header?

Donnington - Not far away, pretty good circuit... gravel traps....

Mallory - Closest to me ;) quite a lot of run off.... Hairpin for gooning...

Wow - i've just realised that i've been to all of these circuits already! I'd probably go for Anglesey for the cheapness/social aspects. So Anglesey, followed by Donny/Mallory (tied) and then Elv last (please!).
aaronjb

Post by aaronjb »

I must admit, the idea of somewhere with lots of gravel traps puts me off a bit - the last thing I want to end up doing is pebbledashing my car, but at the same time, I still want to be able to push fairly hard, as that's the only way to learn anything..

Anglesea appeals though, followed by Elvington I suppose..

Do BaT run at any other airfields with acres of room like Elvington? (Brunters?)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

anna wrote:hmmmm....

Elvington - been there done that - would prefer to go somewhere,er, a little less bumpy :)

Anglesey - Could be good - and could have a good social side as well if a cottage was hired and a party organised. That way we could have saturday out on track, then par-tay with Sunday left for a lie in and slow drive back home. Unless you were thinking of a double header?

Donnington - Not far away, pretty good circuit... gravel traps....

Mallory - Closest to me ;) quite a lot of run off.... Hairpin for gooning...

Wow - i've just realised that i've been to all of these circuits already! I'd probably go for Anglesey for the cheapness/social aspects. So Anglesey, followed by Donny/Mallory (tied) and then Elv last (please!).

I guess there may be the possibility of a double header at Angersea, though one day would be club day followed by those who want to do another day i guess.

We normally have Angersea for the easter bank holiday weekend.

Personally i would say Angersea with party and cottage, ought to make a top weekend.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

aaronjb wrote:I must admit, the idea of somewhere with lots of gravel traps puts me off a bit - the last thing I want to end up doing is pebbledashing my car, but at the same time, I still want to be able to push fairly hard, as that's the only way to learn anything..

Anglesea appeals though, followed by Elvington I suppose..

Do BaT run at any other airfields with acres of room like Elvington? (Brunters?)

We used to do Bentwateres which was a top venue until they stopped trackdays on it. There are no other airfields we currently run at.

Anglesey doesn't have any gravel as such so there's no risk of gravel rash on your car. run-off is fine at angersea too. Its a good circuit to push hard on and has some lovely gooning type corners as well as the ballsy School corner.
MartG

Post by MartG »

Is Anglesey the track they use for tracktests on 5th Gear ? Looks quite interesting, though I wouldn't mind another day at Elvington too ( ie with better brakes and a non-slipping SC belt :lol: ).
aaronjb

Post by aaronjb »

Lauren wrote:Anglesey doesn't have any gravel as such so there's no risk of gravel rash on your car. run-off is fine at angersea too. Its a good circuit to push hard on and has some lovely gooning type corners as well as the ballsy School corner.

I had heard that - s'why I put it top of my wish list, so to speak :) I'm not sure I'd push quite as hard as I did at Elv (or maybe I would - I never actually span at Elv, after all), but I think it would make for a great weekend road trip.

This track day lark gets addictive, doesn't it? :)
anna

Post by anna »

MartG wrote:Is Anglesey the track they use for tracktests on 5th Gear ?

Yup.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

MartG wrote:Is Anglesey the track they use for tracktests on 5th Gear ? Looks quite interesting, though I wouldn't mind another day at Elvington too ( ie with better brakes and a non-slipping SC belt :lol: ).

Yes it is. I've been there a lot of times and have driven it more than any other circuit in the UK probably. Its short, but oh so sweet... never seem to tire of it.

Tyre wear would be halved as well, tarmac is nowhere near as abrasive. there's also a nice intimate feel to angersea that you don't get at the bigger more corporate circuits.
michael

Post by michael »

Elvington in the rain or Donington in the dry for me please :)
aaronjb

Post by aaronjb »

michael wrote:Elvington in the rain or Donington in the dry for me please :)

I didn't know BaT could book the weather as well.. :D
michael

Post by michael »

aaronjb wrote:
I didn't know BaT could book the weather as well.. :D

Haven't you seen Johnny doing one of his funny dances then?
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Lauren wrote:Its short, but oh so sweet... never seem to tire of it.

:D Agree totally - Anglesea for me, or Cadwell (probably not on - too expensive, too dangerous)

And you forgot to mention the beautiful scenery and walks for non-motorsport interested friends and family. I'll dig out a photo....

Hey, and what about that bloke with a Microlight, can we persuade him to come along? That was top fun flying over the circuit and coastline! :D

If anyone can't wait that long 'til their next trackday, click here:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17565
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Anglesea for me...only 20 miles or so from the boat...cottage sounds good. I would make a weekend of it.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

michael wrote:Haven't you seen Johnny doing one of his funny dances then?

http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/video/run.avi

Needs sound. :lol:

Rogue
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Rogue wrote:
michael wrote:Haven't you seen Johnny doing one of his funny dances then?

http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/video/run.avi

Needs sound. :lol:

Rogue

GLOL!
MartG

Post by MartG »

aaronjb wrote:This track day lark gets addictive, doesn't it? :)

Yup ! I'm still buzzing from Saturday :D
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Lauren, good to get feedback from Jonny like that - I'd agree, the standard of driving and general curteousness was top notch from everyone.

As for where next - the plan of a trackday plus event afterwards (eg hired cottage) sounds excellent.

Anglesey is a brilliant little circuit, and has to be one of my favorites, not just because you can goon on every corner (apart from School - too scary!) but because it is technical, and has a mix of corners, height changes and cambers to suit all.

Aaron - you mention you're worried about gravel-trap rash - FWIW I binned my Mk1 into Redgate bigtime at Donnington (nose first - locked one front wheel up in the wet under braking and went straight on at ~50mph into the gravel trap ) and checking the car over there's next to no stone damage. The most annoying thing was stones in the undertray raddling and dropping out of the car though (!)

There's a part of me though that would be interested to try other circuits - maybe Croft, for example?
Kipps

Post by Kipps »

I take it your going to be restriced to what tracks BaT can offer ? As Oulton park is a throughly good circuit ( And close to me :D )

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”