Mk2 Debut in MR2 Challenge!

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rogue

Mk2 Debut in MR2 Challenge!

Post by Rogue »

Hi All,

Well, we finally managed to overcome all the problems we'd had with getting a suitable roll cage and got our car ready for the MR2 Challenge race at Mallory park last Sunday. Our black 1995 G-Ltd was the only mk2, the rest of the field consisting of mk1s.

My biggest worry had been getting through scrutineering but they barely raised an eyebrow, picking up only on the fact that the earth strap to the battery wasn't correctly marked!

Qualifying showed me to be an absoloute rookie (this was my first ever race after all) as I waited for about six laps before daring to overtake the car in front! Once I had though I soon built up my confidence and started to put some better times in. I qualified in seventh position out of 14 cars.

The race itself was an awesome experience - as a spectator you don't get a feel for just how tightly packed the cars are on the grid or just how fast they're actually travelling. I passed Sarah Wherry in a red mk1 early on and then a couple of laps later took Matt Jenkins in his blue and yellow car. I spent the rest of the race trying to catch the front runners who by this time had quite a lead, while simultaneously trying to shake Matt Jenkins who seemed to be attached to my bumper by an invisible bungee cord!

I finished the race in fourth place which I considered to be an excellent result taking into account my lack of experience. Later, this became second place as two drivers that finished ahead of me were excluded for flag violations. I guess the big debate now will be whether I drove well or whether the mk2 is simply better than the mk1... :wink:

This weekend we'll be at Cadwell Park (http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/cadwell-park/) and would love to see some IMOC-UK members there!

Photos from the event are here:

http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/forms/gallery.aspx?cat=28

Special thanks to Ryan Smith, Paul Port, Matthew Wishart, Carolyn Murphy and Stephen Jeffries without whose help and support I would never have made it to the circuit! \:D/

Rogue
ribbo

Re: Mk2 Debut in MR2 Challenge!

Post by ribbo »

Congrats :D
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Fantastic Patrick, nice write up too!!

I imagine the MK2 does pretty well but it is always down to the driver :wink:

What date Cadwell?
T
ribbo

Post by ribbo »

tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Oh that's a bit soon! Don't think it's a goer for me, what's the next after that?
T
ribbo

Post by ribbo »

brands hatch i believe. let me find the date
ribbo

Post by ribbo »

http://www.750mc.co.uk/Racing/dates.htm

19th June under the roadsports race of the 750, im assuming mallory last weekend wasnt part of the 750mc races.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Sod it! LOL I'm in Paris that weekend. I will make a date to see them race this year though am determined!
T
matt*79

Post by matt*79 »

Excellent Result! :lol:

Being very bored at work i watched this car being transformed via the rogue webcam!!!

Realised it was something special when you guys were working after hours.
anna

Post by anna »

Me and Speedy will be at Cadwell on Sunday.
See you there ;)
Enrico

Post by Enrico »

Fantastic result Patrick, sorry I couldn't be there :cry:

However, I am a bit puzzled. You said yourself you are a rookie driver, plus you were in a mk2 against mk1's, yet you end up with a second place?

All I have heard for the last 2 years is how superior to a mk2 a mk1 is on a track?

No secret mods I hope? :D
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Before we get a hysterical debate :mrgreen:

Remember the MK2 of that variant has quite a few extra horses (at least 158bhp, possibly the 171bhp version? compared to MK1 124bhp), and once stripped out will have lost a lot of weight! Hence I suspect a little faster, not to detract from an excellent fourth place mind. :D

T
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Well done Patrick, good result!

Good luck for Cadwell, its a very technical circuit. Though it is an absolute hoot to race on, overtaking is very, very difficult as the track is so narrow and twisty.

I'd aim to qualify strongly to stand a better chance of a good finish.

Last time i raced there in the MR2 challenge i quallied on pole, but got rear ended into the first corner which sent my rear end out sideways and cost me a place. Spent the whole race about a fag paper away from lee cunningham in front, but his racecraft was better than mine so had to settle for second as i couldn't find a way past him.

Its a real buzz isn't it, i trust it you haven't christened the car yet? ;)
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

Congrats on an excellent result. Great to see you showing the Mk1 boys (and girls) that the Mk2 *is* the better car =D> :D
anna

Post by anna »

Aidy wrote:Great to see you showing the Mk1 boys (and girls) that the Mk2 *is* the better car =D> :D

But there *were* still mk1's in front of him ;)
Maybe Rogue is a ringer.... the stig off topgear perhaps :D
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

anna wrote:
Aidy wrote:Great to see you showing the Mk1 boys (and girls) that the Mk2 *is* the better car =D> :D

But there *were* still mk1's in front of him ;)

Yeah, holding him up \:D/
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

mate, for a first race thats a bloody fantastic result =D> =D> =D>
good luck for the next one - can you imagine the look on the faces of the mk1 drivers if the only mk2 wins a race 8-[ :whistle:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

quigonjay wrote:mate, for a first race thats a bloody fantastic result =D> =D> =D>
good luck for the next one - can you imagine the look on the faces of the mk1 drivers if the only mk2 wins a race 8-[ :whistle:

I would say its pretty unlikely at Cadwell though. The lighter weight of the MK1 will be an advantage there.
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Nice one Patrick and a great result!

I was 'up' for going to Mallory originally to spectate, but it clashed with a visit to my parents. #-o

Perhaps the series could get more coverage on here now, especially as there's a Mk2 involved! :D
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by Rowland »

Nice stiles Patrick =D>

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”