Can anyone remember???

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

robbie_742003

Can anyone remember???

Post by robbie_742003 »

Thinking back the other day about a great Vs/driving experience i remember reading on the old site.I cant remember who it was on here, but they were racing their turbo against Jeremy Clarkson's Merc.Does anyone else remember this and could someone post it up?....a vid would be great too!
Rowland

Re: Can anyone remember???

Post by Rowland »

It was Rowland French's black rev4 Turbo.
Rowland French works for the BBC and did until recently work on 'Top Gear' but now works on 'Crimewatch' I believe.
From memory he'd just had a Turbo engine conversion carried out by Roguesystems and was dying to prove a point to mouthy Clarkson that the MR2 Turbo was a quick car.
The test was a sprint test carried out at Top gear.
Against Clarkson's 500bhp Merc with almost double the bhp the MR2 pulled a couple of car lengths up to 80mph before the Merc reeled him in went by and sailed off into the sunset.
The same happened 3 or 4 times the MR2 would be leading up to 80 before the Merc's grunt sent it into hyper speed!

There was no video only a written account from Mr French. It's possible it may be in an archived folder somewhere - I'm not sure.

Rowland :D
The Morris

Post by The Morris »

I believe someone set it on fire.
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

Yes but I remember him telling us that JC commented that "those MR2's are bloody fast" :D

Yes it did get torched. I believe JC had a small write up on that in the Sun or something.
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

ENSMR2 wrote: I believe JC had a small write up on that in the Sun or something.

Cripes - someone must have a jpeg scan of that, surely? :o
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Return to “Driving Experiences”