Recent Trackday at Donington Park

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jonno

Recent Trackday at Donington Park

Post by jonno »

Thought I would use this to remind people about the writeup...

http://www.madcat.co.uk/perl/gallery.pl ... onington04

And that pictures of some of the cars are now available for purchase at http://www.picman.co.uk/cgi-bin/v2.pl?p ... LL_CARS&&1

JJ

Re: Recent Trackday at Donington Park

Post by JJ »

What are you doing in front of me ! :lol:

Or are you right at the back ! :P

Good pictures there neil, notice the "lack of control" out of the corner !!!! definitely a superb day out... thoroughly enjoyed it... however its taken the exhaust out ( flexi pipe ) after 3. 1/2 years and oh look... my car started smoking the other night yet again, so thats the 4th hybrid turbo on its way out ! :shock: Piece of crap !

I've come to the assumption that any Ct- series turbo is short lived with any boosting above 14 psi !!

Need to get a proper turbo strapped on there like yours neil ! :)

Post by Guest »

JJ, who is making the hybrids you're using, and what oil do you have in the engine?

I've got an Owen Developments CT-26 hybrid and its been fine for over 50k miles, I've been using Mobil 1 15W50 and boosting to 15 noramlly, 17 peak?
jonno

Post by jonno »

Its his driving stiles :)
JJ

Post by JJ »

Anonymous wrote:JJ, who is making the hybrids you're using, and what oil do you have in the engine?

I've got an Owen Developments CT-26 hybrid and its been fine for over 50k miles, I've been using Mobil 1 15W50 and boosting to 15 noramlly, 17 peak?

I'll not slander certain turbo companies ! :wink: however, the oils I'm using are 15w 60 Millers Competition Fully Synthetic... been using it for years... the oil doesn't break down its viscosity like other oils when superheated by the turbo.

Boosting... lol !! Depends on the mood I'm in... anywhere between 1 bar and 1.5bar ... you didn't hear it from me and don't nobody else try this !! I have a few plug on toys that will pull the heat out of that charge pressure.

Mind you, it lasted some 15k miles !! But in my books, thats still not good enough.

The turbo still operates like normal, its just when it spools down everyso often, I get a trail of smoke now following me.... it generally the rear piston seal thats passing the oil into the turbine / exhaust housing... a little drop of oil looks a hell of a lot when burned.

So I've got a little laterial play in my turbo now, which is a direct result of wear in the thrust bearing.

As Jonno as already mentioned, it might simply be my driving style ... irony of it all is the fact that no other engine is looked after as good as mine ! everything is changed regularly to yeild reliability regardless of cost... I think I'm upto £2k on turbo now though.... might have to draw the line ! :?
JJ

Post by JJ »

Anyone notice this dude driving that MG pretty damn hard ! ???

Credit where due, he was on the limit in places when i followed him... he just needed a bit more grunt on the straights !! aparently refusing to move over for some people .. jonno ?? :)

jonno

Post by jonno »

Yeah, he was getting in the way a bit - nowhere near as much as that Mini Cooper - he thought he owned the place!

One of the most impressive things was following that Passat Estate through Coppice, I thought it was going to tip over!
jonno

Post by jonno »

Look I found *ANOTHER* pic where you are behind me ;)

Ho Ho Ho :)

PS. I ordered my disc from picman yesterday so I will have this in hi res soon!
michael

Post by michael »

On that last pic were any of you losing traction as you came over the bump where Toni's yellow beastie is? It didn't look too abrupt but on full throttle my rears were lighting up as I went over it.... I need more trackday experience and dry weather.... and more confidence.... and some cash :)

If anyone is buying the CD can you add my 2 pictures to it and I'll give you four English pounds.
jonno

Post by jonno »

Hmm, too late!

I did the order yesterday :(
michael

Post by michael »

Looking at the ordering page it seems you can only buy your own pics and the ones from the "Misc" folder (which isn't there) - I would have loved a shot of mine with the Dunlop bridge in shot like some of them, typical of me to get most of my time in when everyone was still out at lunch ;)

Has anyone managed to get video sorted yet? I'd love to see (GTS) Chris' footage :)
jonno

Post by jonno »

Very good point - I havent seen any video footage yet and I spotted quite a few video cameras on the day?
jonno

Post by jonno »

I would have loved a shot of mine with the Dunlop bridge

Like the one of me in FRONT of JJ? ;)
JJ

Post by JJ »

jonno wrote:
I would have loved a shot of mine with the Dunlop bridge

Like the one of me in FRONT of JJ? ;)

You mean you were right at the back all the time ! :wink:

GODDAMMIT ! :lol:

Your in front of me in every photo... even this one !! :D
Are you just keen or do you have to be first in line for everything !

I'll be letting your tires down next time when your not looking ! :P

Good right up jonno on the web ... lol ! good to see the black flag gang !
JJ

Post by JJ »

michael wrote:
If anyone is buying the CD can you add my 2 pictures to it and I'll give you four English pounds.

Sorry... too late for me too... I just paid for mine this morning :shock: !!
jonno

Post by jonno »

I was just making up for my lack of fashion sense :)
Nelo

Post by Nelo »

Great to see the forum is back online. Well, what can I say that hasn't been said already? Best weekend i've had in a long time, was great to meet like minded people like Neil, JJ, Phil Ditum, Steve Cordiner, GTSChris, Rich Lowe to name but a few and get a spin as a passenger in some other 2s.

Some brilliant driving out on track by JJ, Neil and Lauren. That writeup you done was excellent Neil as are the pics. I really missed having my camcorder in the car though :( have to get one of those mounting brackets so I can get some good footage next time:D

Big thanks again to Neil and Phil for letting me and my mate crash at your houses, and also for the hospitality! Had a great night out afterwards talking crap too :D

Roll on 2005! And you trackday guys keep your eyes peeled for a weekend over this side of the water in 2005 that is looking good at the moment!! Looks like we might have Mondello park to ourselves and maybe our fellow hairdressers the MX5 OC!!

Cheers again
Pete
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

JJ broke a turbo?? He normally doesn't break anything!!! :lol: :D

JJ - how's that front mounted pre-rad coming on. Hopefully after chrimbo I'll get a pay rise and chargecooling here I come
jonno

Post by jonno »

And a Gearbox and a Cluctch and an Exhaust!

Jinxed?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Good stuff Pete, glad you enjoyed it.

Keep us all upto date with whats happening with the mondello stuff.

:D

Lauren

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”