running an evo / scooby

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

bill

running an evo / scooby

Post by bill »

Has anyone had experiences of running an evo after an mr2 turbo, or even before, i fear that i am on limited time with my mr2, with already having a 10 month old baby and no doubt there will be another on the way soon enough :shock: so there is no way i could get away with the mr2 then, i'm doing well enough as it is with the one child and a tubby \:D/ , and it aint really fair robbing the wifes car all the time, once she's back at work, its going to be a bit more of a struggle.

Would like to know if there actually much/if any more expensive to run than an mr2 turbo, i keep finding myself looking at evo 7's on pistonheads :roll:

i imagine fuel/insurance would be very similar?

cheers :thumleft:
Last edited by bill on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Slarty

Re: running an evo / scooby

Post by Slarty »

I don't have any personal experience, but from what Ollie (the Sky insurance rep/ho on here) has said they're a LOT more expensive to insure than an MR2 turbo. Best bet would be to get a rough quote first and go from there?

As for MPG, well, it's a 4WD heavyish 4 door car so it's going to be worse than the '2. How much worse? I'd hazard a guess at around high teens.

I also seem to recall they eat clutches and tyres on a quite regular basis although I'm not certain on that. Perhaps have a look round on the MLR? (Mitsubishi Lancer Register).

I was looking to change my car for an Evo6 last year but moving plans have put that on hold for the foreseeable future :(
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

I don't personally own an EVO but I wanted one badly before MR2 so I did a lot of research on them. The running costs are expensive as you will need frequent oil changes, and I think the clutch and brake pads wears pretty easily too. The petrol consumption is pretty high too I would say even a little bit thirstier compared to the MR2 because of unsprung weight and 4WD running gear.

As for insurance, I don't know why but its in the "high risk" group so yes its VERY expensive. I could insure a Supra Twin Turbo for nearly half the EVO price.

I've heard that the more modern EVOs (8 onwards) are better to maintain. Personally if you want a four door fast car I would look at Seat Leon Cupras. Brembo brakes, 225bhp standard, good build quality. Used to own one and they are superb! You can easily chip it and with a few mods you can hit around 270fwhp.
easty-5

Post by easty-5 »

Can't talk for Evo VII's but my brother owns an Evo XI MR FQ 360 and I own an MR2 Rev 3 tubby.

Insurance: I am 20 and pay about £1400 FC, He is 28 and pays about £900, he has been driving since March 09 and the Evo is his first car. His wife (29, been driving 11 years with 8 no claims) is the main driver and they have to have a tracker on it every year.

Fuel: Evo fuel tank is 45 litres and it has to be run on 97+ RON fuel. He gets between 200-250 miles of town driving and 300-325 motorway miles. His Evo has 6 gears though. MR2 tank is 55 litres, I fill up on Vpower all the time and get about the same amount of miles to a tank as him. So infact his Evo is better on fuel than my MR2.

Service: Evo - every 4500 miles. Engine oil, gearbox oil, AYC Fluid, Diff oils etc. MR2 - whenever you feel like it, engine and gearbox oil.

Consumables: Evo is no worse than any other car. He has tracked his about 5 times and still running the same tyres. We just changed his pads last week. Disks will last another 3-6 months. Tyres have 1 more dry trackday in them or another 1000 road miles. I haven't tracked the MR2 yet so I can't compare consumables.

It is insurance and service costs that make these cars so expensive. they are just as economical as most 2L turbo engined cars....not very :lol:
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

easty-5 wrote:Can't talk for Evo VII's but my brother owns an Evo XI MR FQ 360 and I own an MR2 Rev 3 tubby.

Fuel: Evo fuel tank is 45 litres and it has to be run on 97+ RON fuel. He gets between 200-250 miles of town driving and 300-325 motorway miles.

An Evo XI ? Is he from the future? :eye:

300-325 miles from a 45 litre fuel tank is pretty incredible really, although really can't imagine the fuel tank is that small :-k
Marf

Post by Marf »

easty-5 wrote:
Insurance: I am 20 and pay about £1400 FC, He is 28 and pays about £900, he has been driving since March 09 and the Evo is his first car. His wife (29, been driving 11 years with 8 no claims) is the main driver and they have to have a tracker on it every year.

So who is really the main driver? Your brother or his wife? If its him then they are fronting [-X

Dangerous game to play, if he has an accident and the insurance co twig wifey is not really the main driver they'll pay out any third party losses, but he'll get nothing for his EVO, and getting insurance in future will become very expensive.

Classic example of this is the "fronting bint" thread on PistonHeads. Young chavvy girl gets a 20k three series beemer, insured through SAGA with her dad as main driver. She goes off telling all and sundry on the net how cheap her insurance is as a result of this fronting.

She then has a crash, SAGA do some basic internet detective work, find out she's actually the main driver and bam! No payout and black mark against her name for insurance fraud.
Last edited by Marf on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Marf wrote:Classic example of this is the "fronting bint" thread on PistonHeads. Young chavvy girl gets a 20k three series beemer, insured through SAGA with her dad as main driver. She goes off telling all and sundry on the net how cheap her insurance is as a result of this fronting.

She then has a crash, SAGA do some basic internet detective work, find out she's actually the main driver and bam! No payout and black mark against her name for insurance fraud.

Can't find that thread, only references to it :cry:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Yeah I think it got deleted, there are just threads talking about it now.

It may be cached in google or on the way back machine, but I can't be ar$ed to search :lol:

It just demonstrated how people can be caught out by their own stupidity. The moment you post something on a forum or social networking site and somebody quotes it, you're bu88ered as you may be able to delete your posts, but other people's are another matter :eye:
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

Marf wrote:Yeah I think it got deleted, there are just threads talking about it now.

It may be cached in google or on the way back machine, but I can't be ar$ed to search :lol:

It just demonstrated how people can be caught out by their own stupidity. The moment you post something on a forum or social networking site and somebody quotes it, you're bu88ered as you may be able to delete your posts, but other people's are another matter :eye:

Yeah like when you quoted me, when i was talkin about bootin Anjem Choudary out of Britain over that Wooton Basset thing!

Cheers Marf :thumleft: :eye:
Marf

Post by Marf »

To be fair I was agreeing with you. I hadn't realised until checking it just now that you'd removed the bit I quoted.

I could go and remove the post if you'd like? I don't mind :thumleft:
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

Nah dont worry, i was just kiddin :lol: i agree though you have to be carefull what you say on public forums / networks.
bill

Post by bill »

apparently the regular servicings can be had for between 120-150 quid, which ain't to bad, i imagine the dealers will charge a hell of a lot more than that mind, i will get onto chris knott this week for a quote, as a comparison against the mr2, i think i might be a bit out of my league with the running costs, saying that, i only get 220-240 to a full tank now, and i only really drive to work and back these days, leon cupra's not a bad call, i also have a soft spot for the classic impreza ra, ( goes to edit title )there reasonable to buy, there probably cheaper to run than an evo, not sure about insurance but they dont have the silly servicing intervals as the evo, anyone ran a scooby for comparison?

i'll get a quote on one of these also :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

How many miles a year do you do?
If you're doing 12k + it's gonna cost you a bomb. If like me, you do about 5k tops, it's not gonna make much of a difference.

My tubby once got 250 miles to a full tank, I'm pretty sure mine (rev2) only had 45 litres as well?! It was dreadful on fuel. If you can get 300+ miles out of an Evo tank thats superb. I usually got 200 miles to a full tank. If I gave it enough stick, it would drop down to about 180 miles.
When I bought it the prev owner had opened up the OE BOV and it got 126 miles to the tank :shock:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Razor04 wrote:Nah dont worry, i was just kiddin :lol: i agree though you have to be carefull what you say on public forums / networks.

:thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

matt_mr2t wrote:My tubby once got 250 miles to a full tank, I'm pretty sure mine (rev2) only had 45 litres as well?! It was dreadful on fuel.

MK2s have very misleading fuel gauges. If you let the gauge just drop off the end of the scale which would be empty on most other cars, they still have 10 litres of reserve. This is why you only get 45l back in. All MK2s have 55l tanks :thumleft:

Thats an 18% difference? 45 extra miles off the top of my head?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Marf

Post by Marf »

55 if you're assuming 25mpg :)
johnp

Post by johnp »

easty-5 wrote:Can't talk for Evo VII's but my brother owns an Evo XI MR FQ 360 and I own an MR2 Rev 3 tubby.

Fuel: Evo fuel tank is 45 litres and it has to be run on 97+ RON fuel. He gets between 200-250 miles of town driving and 300-325 motorway miles. His Evo has 6 gears though. MR2 tank is 55 litres, I fill up on Vpower all the time and get about the same amount of miles to a tank as him. So infact his Evo is better on fuel than my MR2.

Service: Evo - every 4500 miles. Engine oil, gearbox oil, AYC Fluid, Diff oils etc. MR2 - whenever you feel like it, engine and gearbox oil.

Consumables: Evo is no worse than any other car. He has tracked his about 5 times and still running the same tyres. We just changed his pads last week. Disks will last another 3-6 months. Tyres have 1 more dry trackday in them or another 1000 road miles. I haven't tracked the MR2 yet so I can't compare consumables.

It is insurance and service costs that make these cars so expensive. they are just as economical as most 2L turbo engined cars....not very :lol:

Only just read this....he's been driving for only less than a year yet has done 5 trackdays already :shock: ...and these are never comp insured,are they?
With his road insurance "difficulties" that have already been pointed out he seems to be a bit of a risk-taker. :roll:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

toxo wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:My tubby once got 250 miles to a full tank, I'm pretty sure mine (rev2) only had 45 litres as well?! It was dreadful on fuel.

MK2s have very misleading fuel gauges. If you let the gauge just drop off the end of the scale which would be empty on most other cars, they still have 10 litres of reserve. This is why you only get 45l back in. All MK2s have 55l tanks :thumleft:

Thats an 18% difference? 45 extra miles off the top of my head?

Like I said, it ONCE got 250 miles and had the fuel light on for about 20-30 miles of those 250

:shock:

Know what you mean about reserve tanks, but I wouldnt want to be running into it. I've heard rev 3's are much better on MPG than rev2's however.
easty-5

Post by easty-5 »

JohnnyC wrote:An Evo XI ? Is he from the future? :eye:

300-325 miles from a 45 litre fuel tank is pretty incredible really, although really can't imagine the fuel tank is that small :-k

Coming back from Bradford, his Evo got 315 miles before petrol light came on, mine got 301 miles. Trust me, it is a 45litre tank. Weight saving and all that :lol:

Marf wrote:
So who is really the main driver? Your brother or his wife? If its him then they are fronting [-X

Dangerous game to play, if he has an accident and the insurance co twig wifey is not really the main driver they'll pay out any third party losses, but he'll get nothing for his EVO, and getting insurance in future will become very expensive.

johnp wrote:Only just read this....he's been driving for only less than a year yet has done 5 trackdays already :shock: ...and these are never comp insured,are they?
With his road insurance "difficulties" that have already been pointed out he seems to be a bit of a risk-taker. :roll:

Okay, sorry guys, I obviously wasn't clear enough in my expanation. The policy is in his wifes name, but they are both main drivers, if that makes any sense. Just like any normal family with a family car. They both use it just as much as each other. The only time he has it more is for trackdays. They also have GAP insurance on the car at an agree'd value of £24,000.

The car is 100% insured legally and correctly. Do you really think they would take the chance with him being a new driver and buying a car for £25,000.
Marf

Post by Marf »

easty-5 wrote:The car is 100% insured legally and correctly.

Good to hear. :thumleft:

easty-5 wrote:Do you really think they would take the chance with him being a new driver and buying a car for £25,000.

Stranger things have happened, my "fronting bint" example is a case in point of how stupid people can be, even if you are talking about £20k's worth of car :)

Return to “Driving Experiences”