Broken engine mounting!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mark Edwards

Broken engine mounting!

Post by Mark Edwards »

HELP!! After yesterday's escapades with my new tyres and the stupidly large amount of grip they've given me, i have found what i've broken. It's the front/lower engine mounting bolts. Or to be precise, it's actually the thread in the gearbox. :cry: I've tried re-tapping the thread but the bolts just won't hold. So far i've come up with 2 plans, 1st, chemical metal a couple of studs into it instead and use nuts, or 2nd, drill and tap it out to 11mm and get new bolts. Any thoughts on which to do, or any better suggestions anyone??
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
gtschris.com

Re: Broken engine mounting!

Post by gtschris.com »

Mark Edwards wrote:HELP!! After yesterday's escapades with my new tyres and the stupidly large amount of grip they've given me, i have found what i've broken. It's the front/lower engine mounting bolts. Or to be precise, it's actually the thread in the gearbox. :cry: I've tried re-tapping the thread but the bolts just won't hold. So far i've come up with 2 plans, 1st, chemical metal a couple of studs into it instead and use nuts, or 2nd, drill and tap it out to 11mm and get new bolts. Any thoughts on which to do, or any better suggestions anyone??

I would say you only got two sensible options:

1. drill and tap it

2. new case
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103
JJ

Post by JJ »

Mark,

I had exactly the same problem as you ... fortuntely it was on a gearbox that I had bought under warranty and the gears we'ren't right either .. so refunded. But I did try and tackle the knackered threads myself whilst in the car and I'm afraid I failed at it too.

You may have to settle with removing the box and drilling the hole out so its true to accomodate an M12 1.5 metric fine thread. Use a that tap for a new thread.. and to be honest, the way forward to is to bore out the holes for the engine mount, and the slave cylinder, whilst the box is on the floor, attach the slave then the engine mount. Make sure everything is sorts on the floor before refitting the box as you simply can't see if the threads biting with a bolt or if its cross threading when doing it in a car.

I sympathise for you chap, unecessary problems. though to be honest, its seems a fault of the last refit of the box.. the bolts won't have gone in straight and caught between tightening the bolts into the alloy casing and catching against the engine mount..... too much resistance early in the thread as its going in so will have pulled the threads out.

Theres simply too much load on that joint for chemical metal and the likes, once the box heats up and cools down several times, the substance will just break away due to the expansion and contraction rates of the surrounding alloy.... bit like welding a solid steel flange to a cast iron manifold.

So recap - box off if you want it done properly :cry:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Cheers JJ, not want i wanted to hear, but thanks anyway.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
Ja99a

Post by Ja99a »

Not sure if this helps but you might be able to tap & Helicoil, they are strong & if your lucky will not require all of the mountings etc to be opened up.
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

**UPDATE** I've managed today to re-tap the threads and get some long enough studs in there to hold it quite tight so fingers crossed i'll be ok now, but time will tell.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs

Return to “Mechanical”