[Mk3] [Generic] Rear Bin Lighting

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

uktotty

[Mk3] [Generic] Rear Bin Lighting

Post by uktotty »

Just wanted to share this with you, glovebox lighting going in this weekend.

Well finally got round to installing the rear bin lighting, this weekend, very pleased with the results but wanted to share the experience with you all.
Bits I bought
Then we had to find a perm live so these are the options we thought!
Basically although the handbrake and the door switches are both perm live they go to ground as soon as they are connected, this was very time consuming with removing seats, centre console and door runners.
It all works fine UNTILL you reconnect the white connectors so not an option here.
Eventually I went for a live feed direct from the battery with an inline fuse, I had a sub installed so very easy.
Another option may be the rear alarm sensor????
Next step was to install the switch
This was EASY! remove the rubber grommet from the rear bins, it reveals a little hole!
Drill that hole to 7mm and install the switch.
Install light strip, this is really easy also, there is a steel bar inside the bins, stick and cable-tie the led strip to this bar, connect the wires and away you go.
Connect it all together and you get a very highly lit rear bin :)

I am looking to create a KIT for these
1 door kit will be led strip, switch, cables, cableties, inline fused power cable all soldered and ready to go.
2 door kit will be 2 x led strip, 2 x switch etc.
Glove Box will be installed next weekend in a very similar fashion :)
marcnoonan

Re: [Mk3] [Generic] Rear Bin Lighting

Post by marcnoonan »

Nice one,

Had two 60 cm filament tube lights in the boot on my MK2 for years but recently replaced them with a 2m led strip (isn't modern technology wonderful). Have mine ran direct from the battery on a switch as the battery got killed a few times when the boot wasn't closed properly. Well worthwhile for me when I use mine for doing chinese deliveries :oops: :oops: :oops:

Still gotta replace the dome lights with 48 led boards so migfht not need the glove box doing but I'll keep your write up in mind

Cheers

Marc
Everyone looks at me when I drive down the road now....... wish I could read minds.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”