Anyone running this Brake combination...

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Will-Turbo

Anyone running this Brake combination...

Post by Will-Turbo »

...Black Diamond Combi Discs with EBC Red Stuff Pads.

My old Standard set-up died recently and i've just ordered the above...
Does anyone out there run this set-up and How do you rate it??? :?: :D
MegatronUK

Re: Anyone running this Brake combination...

Post by MegatronUK »

Reds are the very high temp versions aren't they? Possibly a bit harsh .... what's the middle one... yellow?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

You may well find they never get up to temperature on the road.

I think even EBC greens take a little while to get up to temperature, so i wouldn't recommend the red ones, they are track use only AFAIK.
Grajey

Post by Grajey »

You should have gone for stock discs with high quality pads.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Just had a look on the EBC website and it would seem that they may well have revised what red and yellow stuff are, ie in that they now sell them for road use.

can't see the green ones anywhere though.

So panic over it looks like you will be okay with these. One thing though, I have greens on my MK1 and they are not too clever when they are cold and don't offer much feel until they warm up a bit.

As for the discs i think stock may have been better, i'm guessing 'combi' means drilled and grooved?

Grooved discs are okay, but they will eat through brake pads quicker which is ultimately why i don't use them.

Let us all know how you get on with them though.
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

I can sorta confirm Lauren there; I had black diamond grooved discs and EBC greens on my old Rover turbo coupe... they stopped really well after you'd got a bit of heat into them (e.g after a few normal stops, or say after a few miles normal driving on dual carriageway). I can reccomend the grooved black diamond discs... pretty good for the price (i think i paid 120 for a pair on the rover)... I'm unsure of the merits of drilled discs on a road car though - I'd be worried about stress around the holes.... bikes are ok as they not vented and dont have the same kind of stresses.

Grooved and/or drilled discs and sport pads will make the brakes sound AWFUL though (depending on the pad hardness, it can sound like dragging the back of a shovel across gravel!), as well as wear the pads faster... you have been warned ... should stop better though :lol:
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I'm running teh Black diamond 12 groove discs with Pagid pads and braided hoses all round. I'm more than happy with the set up. More than enough for the road and occassional track day use :wink:

Mikejc
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Agree, those discs are good.
John Rees

Post by John Rees »

I agree with Lauren mate, too much for the road, you could hurt yourself there fella.
I think the Green would be a better option, if you want to track then get some pads just for that and slap them in for the day.

John
andygt

Post by andygt »

im running a full diamond set up pads grooved and drilled disc with there braided hose kit
cant fault the brakes in anyway i only had a problem with the shitty fluid thats was in the car on a track day and i cooked it

Return to “Mechanical”